1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you figure out your gender identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Wolfwing, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I've wished to appear more masculine and be treated more like a guy since about age 15, my first suspicion of actually wanting to BE a guy came at about age 18. I pushed it to the back of my mind till age 22, suffered over it for a year, and just admitted it to myself this year at 23.

2. Synesthesia

It's still an ongoing process. There are things maybe as far back as the start of puberty for me that seemed a bit off but probably only started questioning more at the age of 20 (but still very gradually,) I'm in my mid 20s now.

#22 Synesthesia, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I first realized how upset I was at being so female-bodied at about age 20. I accepted the fact that I'm trans....probably last year. Now, what I'm going to do about it? That, I'm still working on.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew when I was a little kid, but a name never got put to it until I was like ten and I didn't encounter a trans person until I was maybe 15.

5. ChameleonSoul

I always felt like I was different than everyone around me for as long as I can remember. I finally realized I was transgender and had a label for who I was when I was 18, but if I had payed more attention and did some research about it I think I would have realized it much earlier.

6. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm non-binary/genderqueer, but I guess it's just because I'm so tomboyish that a part of me does wish I could just be a straight guy and not deal with stigma.

7. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

figured it out at 15, tried to ignore it for half a year, accepted it at almost 16

but looking back, I've had dysphoria since puberty started at like 10/11 (not dysphoria exactly, but I actually expected my voice to change even though I knew it wouldn't), and even before that, I was always super proud of (and would brag about) not liking "girly" things.

#27 someone29017, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  8. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

When I was forty. I had no reference for why I was the way I felt until then. But I tried to "fix" myself when I was eight years old. Didn't work of course, but that was probably my first indication that I was different.

9. Delta

I was about 18 when being a cis girl stopped feeling right. It was about 3 years after that that I figured out that that meant I was nonbinary.

10. randomconnorcon

Really, I've been living as a boy my whole life, I just didn't tell anyone until a year ago. I didn't even have a name for it until I was 19 and moved to London. People saw and accepted me as a girl, but in my head I was telling myself no, girl isn't right, that's not me. I wish I'd said it out loud; my life would have gone a bit differently, instead of nodding when they told me not to do something because I wasn't a boy then ignoring them and doing it anyway.

#30 randomconnorcon, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  11. Delta

So I'm a mathsy/engineering type and I like graphs. So I made one from the data in this thread.
    [​IMG]

#31 Delta, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  12. SecretLilCj21

Ive always pretty much known, but I'd say... twelve.

13. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Questioning - 3 years ago at 23. before that, there were off things that I had been so used to I thought it was normal.

Honestly, still questioning, but I'm not greatly attached to gender and I haven't had physical dysphoria for a while, although socially and being reminded that "I'm a girl" because less dysphoria = less trying to pass, I get caught off guard being reminded that's "what I am".

If I could wake up, have a guys body tomorrow, that would be super freaking amazing, but... eh... I don't think I will ever figure it out anymore.

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Still figuring it out. I mean I've probably had inklings since maybe middle school (or younger, but I don't remember much of my childhood) - but a lot of things became more concrete around the end of high school.

15. Elam

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This sounds unlikely, but 9 and 10. I always knew I never wanted to be a girl, and I used to use the toilet as a male would use it (that never ended well though, just extra mess to clean up), I preferred referring to myself as a male and I dressed like a male. I also hated what was 'down below' and the breast tissue I was developing. But when I was 9 or 10, my mum was reading out an article about a person transitioning to become a female, and I had questions. "How are they doing that?" "What's the name?" I soon found out about the transgender community, and I thought - "Hey, that's me." I pushed it out of my mind but at 12 I decided it was time to just revisit it and start doing research into the community.

16. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About 3 days ago