1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self conscious about life

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by still life, Jun 4, 2016.

1. still life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At 30 I am not even close to having a career ( work straight out of secondary school, been stuck in the retail business for over 10 years, highest I've been is a manager of retail chain and hated it ). I actually recently enrolled into a culinary school and attending classes with students in their late teens and early twenties. I actually starting to regret my life and hated that I don't have the guts to do this sooner and for the first time I actually feels old. I finally pursuing my dream, but explaining to people on why I am taking this life change has been exhausting and embarrassing. Is it just me being self conscious? I've been stressing over this and thinking that I have made a huge mistake putting my life on hold for a year like this. I certainly don't connect with any of this teenagers. Have nothing to do with being gay, but I think this had been the general theme of my life. Never felt I am good enough.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all congratulations !!! :slight_smile:

Very few people have the guts to abandon a career they are unhappy with to do something they genuinely like so congratulations for having the guts to do that. That being said, you are hardly 'old'. Being 30 means that you most likely still have another 40 working years ahead of you so spending that time doing something you like is much better than spending most of your life dreading waking up to go to work.

You said it yourself, you are pursuing your dream so let putting up with teenagers and having to explain your life choices over and over again (though you don't have to) be the (small) price to pay for a better, happier, life. :slight_smile:

I, myself, haven't followed the expected path in life, but I am happy and at the end of the day that's all that actually matter.

Good luck OP and hope your dreams come true !(*hug*)

3. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    hey dont worry dude theres more of us out there, im 26 almost 27 and im back in skool surrounded by all these little kids that just graduated high skool, who cares focus more on the material then the social aspect..thats what helps for me (not here to make friends, im here to better myself) fuk it...and hey, its never too late, atleast u kno now what u want to do, theres a couple people in their 40s maybe 50s in my class, nobody cares, its just watever...good luck!

4. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't let it get to you. A guy on my uni course is graduating with all of us this year and I think he is almost 40 (he's never said his age but I'm guessing from looking at him). People do ask him why he wanted to go back into education at an older age but not in a negative way, more of just a curious way :slight_smile:

Good on you for finally doing what you've always wanted!! :slight_smile:

5. still life

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys, you really made my day. It just surprises me how much I grown up. I honestly never considered myself an adult but when compared with these teenagers. The scariest part is I was them at one point, I just never realized how much I have grown up.