1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you/would you come out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Jun 3, 2016.

1. faustian1

Modern generations seem to have a cavalier view of the value of "privacy," compared to older folks. Like the wise gentleman in Vancouver, BC, who thought it advisable to post a video of his warp-speed motorcycle hijinks on the highway.

It got him plenty of "likes." And then the RCMP came calling. This happens again and again.

Anyway, if your privacy settings are perfect today, Zuckerberg will change the privacy configuration without warning several times in the coming year. That "secret" you wanted only your friends to know, may be worldwide right quick. And then, if ever should decide to "delete" something, well then Ashley Madison is a good example of what could go wrong with that.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, this ain't no secret. I'm out and proud. I just changed it so my ex and her mother cant stalk my profile anymore. im done with them. it's just me and my son now and moving forward.

3. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    I once did a post on Facebook it was from an app and asking a few friends how I should reply to a comment I had received, I had controlled it down to about 20 friends some knew I was gay other probably suspected it so it was a good way for some people to go ok he is gay and was looking.

It was a good way to say to some friends I am gay and looking without having to do formal post. Lately I have been posting with a male friend of mine and if you didn't think that I was seeing him you obviously don't know and or couldn't care.

I am well aware that Facebook changes settings every few month so my photo might get seen by a wider audience but now I am in the I don't care stage.

4. faustian1

I always like meeting people who have that kind of confidence. (I'm of course a little jealous, too.)

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    second scariest, most liberating, joyous thing I have ever done.

6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps. I've learned the last 7 or so months one of the biggest impediments to fulling accepting myself was my secrecy - me being in the closet. What did I do 7 months ago? I told my closest friends I was gay in writing - kind of like FB. Was it hard at first, yes? Was there benefits. Yes. I cant tell you quantifiably (sp?) what the benefit is, it's a feeling deep within me. The feelings says, "its ok to be me".

7. FinallyOut2015

I came out on Facebook, but I did it gradually. I created a group of friends and limited my LGBT type posts to just them, making sure they knew it was a limited audience. When I had no kick back from them, I slowly added people to the group until everyone except the most ultra-conservative and ultra-religious was in the group. Lately I have just posted normally without using the group filter.

8. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even so, if your friends then like/comment on your status it will show on the news feed of all their friends too.. Facebook 'privacy' settings are a scam.

9. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to come out on Facebook as well. My friends and relatives are there and my hope is to live my life as who I am and everybody should know it. Although, I'm scared of what kind of comments I'll get in return. Sure, I got the greatest friends anyone could ever have and I do know that I have their full support. I bet my sister would be very supportive too and my mum. But what about those friends that I ain't talkin' with everyday? I haven't added peeps randomly, everyone on my list is someone I've met in real life. It's scary to not know if there'll be many mean comments and that people might unfriend me (already gettin' ready for that to happen sadly)

I'm waaaay to sensitive to face eventual mean comments at the moment but I believe that when the time's right, I will do it:slight_smile: I've talked with my best female friend about this and she did stopped me in time: "Think about it, do you really want to do it? I mean, I know you Misadori. You're a sensitive guy, do you really want someone who you don't talk with everyday to know about your secret as well?" I better think twice before doin' anythin', that's for sure(A) I just need become more brave to do it

10. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm curious, looking for me, what was the first scariest?

11. faustian1

:icon_bigg Yeah, looking for me sort of led us right to that question, eh?

#51 faustian1, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the day my son was born. terrifying, exhilarating, joyous, and blessed.

13. cataylor

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok...I laughed so hard at this. Hysterical!!!!:roflmao:

14. faustian1

Well, as long as we're linking videos, and since the topic included Facebook, see what you think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVZYiJKl1Y