1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A cognitive dissonance: topping is unfairly easier than bottoming

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mile, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone. I have a cognitive dissonance. I have only tried bottoming and think that topping has much more advantages and much less disadvantages. I can't try topping coz i'm in relationship with person whom I appreciate very much (and he is only top).

Even if bottoming can be pleasurable as much as topping, It's not fairly because it takes much more prep to bottom and hurts if done not properly (while topping doesn't hurt if done not properly).

When I compare these sexual roles not in monogamous relationship, topping becomes even better choice: it is less likely to catch STDs and HIV.

Moreover, considering sex with a stranger, the gap in advantages is even larger: a top can don't care about a bottom and hurt him. Top will get his pleasure and cum, while bottom will not have enough pleasure even from the actual process (coz top won't care about the right angle, speed, etc). And bottom won't have anal orgasm, of course. Concluding this, one-time sex, where people just want to get pleasure, is useless for the one, who'll bottom. Even if it'll be pleasurable for him, it will be 10 times more pleasurable AND EASIER for the one, who will top (coz he will get physical pleasure from the process and cumming, and psychological pleasure too, while the bottoming one will certainly get less of physical pleasure AND WILL HAVE MUCH MORE RISKS AND HE NEEDS MORE PREPARATION).

Bottoming is also worse in monogamous relationship still. Why? Coz for barebacking douching is a must. And douching is bad for health.

Frankly speaking, bottoming is 10 times harder and there aren't any benefits to decrease this cognitive dissonance in my mind. I'd like to be 100% versatile, so I and my partner could be equal. And i think that if i could become a strict top i also wouldn't be satisfied: i would feel sorry for my bottom for just getting easy pleasure from him while he should be preparing every time.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all comes down to your preference i think. For me, bottoming is much easier, even if i like to top sometimes.

Also, when you say that the "top gets all the pleasure of the process", do you mean you don't find bottoming pleasurable? If that's the case, you don't (and shouldn't) need to do it just to please your partner. Talk to him.

If this is a problem in your relationship, talk to your partner. Communication is the key!

Also...

Douching (enemas) aren't a must. If you understand how your body works, you will understand that there is no need for that. In fact, it is bad for your health.

More information: Empty Closets - Getting Clean for Anal Sex

Also, remember that barebacking is risky, even in monogamous relationships. Condoms are always recommended: Not only because they protect you against STDs, but it is also easier to clean up afterwards. Try different brands until you find one that is good for you and your partner.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with all of this.^

There seems to be this misconception that bottoming is an inferior role in a sexual relationship and that the person who is topping can have his way and do as he pleases. That's wrong, wrong, wrong! Many guys who bottom are assertive and very clear about what they want and need to experience pleasure (rightly so) and they will quickly speak out if they're not getting it, especially if they are in pain or discomfort. At no point, should the top be getting all of the pleasure.

If you are bottoming and feel any pain at all you should say stop and bloody well mean it too. It's your body and your right to have good and pleasurable sex too. Insist on it.

4. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know. I should try it several times without a 2+ month break coz it is like the fiirst time always (when the initial pain vanishes, i have neither bad and nor good feelings, just a heat when he pools out, it is boring, i have just psychological pleasure from bottoming and it's not enough for me). Whether i can feel physical pleasure in future or if i don't have it now, it won't come?

But if we want barebacking, is it high risky for the topping one to catch a bakteria?

Why easier?

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

6. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My top cares about me, but if i think about people who have sex with strangers, bottoming is not okay there. And i can't understand, why some people say that there are more bottoms and vers-bottoms than tops and vers-tops. It is a bullshit for me, because there majority says "i'm a strict top" or "i'm vers". And most people don't have anal orgasm, so bottoming is less pleasurable.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2016 at 07:14 AM ----------

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry if this comes across as challenging, but how would you know that?

What this really comes down to is communication and self confidence, even if you are only having casual sex with a hook-up. Let's be clear, when you are bottoming you have every right to say if you're not happy or comfortable. The top is not in charge and your arse is not an object to be abused or a receptacle for him to dump his load in.

Douching after sex is not a must either, especially if you have practiced safe sex. Frequent douching is not good for you.

8. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Not at all. Cleaning yourself properly before and after sex is preferred both health wise and cleanliness wise. But douching yourself is and never should be a preference for a healthy person no matter what. It is not at all good for the body as mentioned before.

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Like I said, it comes down to your pleasure. If you enjoy it, then great. If not, then don't force yourself.

Don't do something you don't enjoy. If you don't enjoy bottoming, there is no reason to do it.
    While bacterias are a problem too (for both partners), virus are also a major concernn.

In case of AIDS, for example (HIV is a virus), the risk is high for both the top and the bottom. Statistically, the risk for the bottom is a bit higher, but it is also a great risk for the top.

In any case, the risks are high. Not using condoms is not worth it.

Because fluids and possible stains are going to be mostly in the condom.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To cite some statistics, bare-backing tops have a 20% risk of contracting HIV from an infected partner. That risk goes up about four-fold, or more, if there are co-morbidities in either partner, such as syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia.

Another point: water-based lubes tend to lose their lubricant effect when used on bare skin, mainly because the skin absorbs the water but leaves the stickier residue on the surface. A condom tends to inhibit this water-absorption making the lube last somewhat longer. Of course, accidents happen, and having a condom is simply a "cleaner" option.

11. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How to clean myself aftee bareback sex without douching?:dry:

Is it not true that most people don't have anal orgasm when bottoming?

Writing about barebaking, I meant it in monogamous relationship where both are tested.

12. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go to the bathroom, normally, and then take a shower.

But, again, using a condom makes it much easier to clean afterwards (you wouldn't have fluids inside, apart from a bit of lube), and it also protects against diseases.

Douching is bad for your health. It can damage your body. Using a condom removes the need to worry about that.
    There are many people that have anal orgasms when bottoming. In other cases, even if the orgasm isn't caused solely by anal penetration, the person finds the activity itself enjoyable, masturbating during the activity.

Again: Sex is supposed to be a fun activity. If you are doing it just to please your partner, you should change things.
    Of course, when we are in a relationship, we expect the other part to be faithful, as we are (otherwise, if everyone cheated, relationships wouldn't work anyway).

However, it does happen. And using a condom is a way to prevent problems in the case it happens.

Unfortunately, statistically, we have a considerable number of infections in supposedly monogamous relationships.

Of course, we can (and should) discuss faithfulness and cheating, and how cheating is something bad for everyone involved and should not be done. But, unfortunately, until we educate people on that (and, again, i'm totally in favor of discussing these things and showing people why cheating is bad), cheating is still more common than it should be, and condoms are a way to prevent diseases if it happens.

Remember: As much as you love and trust the other person, you have control only over yourself. And you should protect your body.

I think it is really, really sad that we need to be that careful around our partners. But, like i said, unfortunately, cheating is more common than it should be, nowadays. And changing this takes time.

But, like we said, disease prevention isn't the only thing (even if it is still a reason good enough to use condoms). Condoms also make it easier to clean up afterwards, like we said.

If one of you is finding condoms to be uncomfortable, try different brands and sizes and find one that works for you. It is totally worth it to use a bit of time experimenting until you find a good one.

13. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I googled it and mostly people say that they bottom either coz they just want to psychologically feel the domination or coz they want to please the top.

And what is about allowing a top to cum in ass as he wants - if he won't do it, his orgasm will be much less intense.

Whether anal orgasm is more intense than the usual top's one?

14. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to use a bidet/bidet spray/health faucet to clean myself up. TMI but I use the force of the water spray and a soapy finger or two to make sure I'm as clean as can be. I do it while sitting on the toilet so that the water that drips goes straight down and not on the floor. I towel off making sure to use a soft one and I'm clean! :grin:

As far as I know (From years of reading up on Anal Sex) Anal Pleasure has something or the other to do with Prostate stimulation. That is basically the male g-spot and gives pleasure when massaged/touched. But you can orgasm from anal stimulation as well. Because it's all about nerves. Since the body has nerves everywhere you can get stimulated everywhere. Some people have more of a reaction to a specific place than others that's all. Try to be creative with your partner and find out which parts of the body both you tend to get more response to, that's a fun game and you'll know how to get pleasure too. :slight_smile:

#14 Ram90, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  15. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've seen some videos on youtube where people say that everyone can top, but not everyone can bottom. They also say that it is harder to bottom and that there are more tops. And that all should appreciate the ones, who bottom. So, I'm still nervous about top-bottom topic, still have this cognitive dissonance. I trust these people, who shared their opinion on youtube, because my opinion is like their's. But is their opinion true?

16. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on you. Perhaps those youtubers prefer being tops or bottoms exclusively due to personal comforts or reasons. What works for one person doesn't have to necessarily for another. You should experiment both ways and see how it works for you.

You can be a top, a bottom or both. It shouldn't matter as long as you are comfortable. That is important.

17. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it depends on a person, then there's no reason to appreciate those bottoms. Because if they bottom, they want it, and their risks and preparation don't matter, yep?

18. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What makes you think a top doesn't take time to mentally and physically prepare himself? Both Tops and Bottoms should be appreciated. But then again why are we talking about appreciation? Because having sex is an intimate thing, it isn't a contest or competition where appreciation should come into play.

Why wouldn't the risk and preparation matter? Having safe and protected sex is important. Hence preparing well to do so is equally important and does matter.

19. Mile

Mile Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Top needs to prepare a lot less!!

20. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Physically? Maybe. But mentally, a lot. Trust me. The top has to make sure the bottom has lubed himself well, or has to lube the bottom on properly himself. The top has to lube his "thing" well too and make sure he has a condom. Is the condom on properly? It doesn't have any holes right? Is the bottom comfortable? I have to go in slowly and carefully so as to not cause both of us any pain.

Both the top and bottom have a lot of mental preparation to do, especially the first time any 2 strangers or even well-known individuals are doing anal sex. It is important to make sure both the top and bottom are well relaxed and that is a lot of preparation in itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.