1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News House of Commons to discuss making the Canadian national anthem gender neutral

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by KayJay, May 31, 2016.

1. KayJay

#1 KayJay, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool~. ^.^

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, US? anthems can be amended to reflect progress, it's a thing that happens. :icon_wink

I fucking love Canada.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure politicians have more important things to pay attention to -- or perhaps not.

5. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Really? This is almost as stupid as trying to ban Donald Trump from the UK...there isn't an immigration problem or anything... .-.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems to be a good gesture, but I'm sure that while this probably should be done, there are more pressing matters to the UK (such as keeping the UK in the European Union) that need discussed, so it would be great if things such as this would be left to the people of Canada and Prime Minister Trudeau and the Liberals were able to take this on to alleviate the UK Government. I don't really like monarchies that much, constitutional or otherwise, so I would really want Canadians to decide this for themselves.

7. KayJay

Our government is deciding for themselves. We have our own House of Commons and what not. I probably should have made the title more clear.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, okay! Whenever I saw House of Commons, I immediately thought of the UK. Sorry about that!

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In any other nation that would be true. But...this is Canada we're talking about :icon_wink

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope.

The government has more important things to focus on, such as cancelling the pipeline already, helping restore what Harper destroyed (such as job security) and preventing daycares from closing from lack of funding.

11. Hizaki

I happen to be a fan of the (now generally obsolete) "generic he". But only in an archaic context. "Let us go, brothers, for fate looks upon us" wouldn't sound as nice as "Let us go, siblings, for fate looks upon us" or "Let us go, brothers-and-sisters-and-those-who-don't-conform-to-the-gender-binary, for fate looks upon us". It's a figurative "sons", and I know many women don't like it, but masculine things are seen as more important in our culture (wrongly so), and I feel like it would be more comfortable to keep going but we don't need to change things like this... Wait until our country is blown up, reforms, and needs a new anthem.

I think there are better things to do, too. But either way, I guess is ok...

12. AlamoCity

I have mixed feelings when people said that "the government has better things to do." On the one hand, it is true that governments have better things to do; but on the other hand many things that we hold dear or ceremonial were at the time considered a "waste of time." Our national anthems, national birds, mottos, and public holidays were all at one point debated and legislated, some when national emergencies were happening. Heck, American Thanksgiving became official in 1863; Lincoln had "better things to do" than make a new holiday.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Quite agree with Alamo^. Realistically speaking, our state apparatuses are quite large, larger than to be limited to only the very bulky, major schemes in society. Things like this are regularly on the table, as well.

I think it sounds better with the new wording. Any potential problem I could see would be an aesthetic one, but this was pulled off nicely in my opinion, so no objections from me.

14. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally agree. Throughout the course of history, governments of all nations have always had "better things to do", but who defines what is "better" and more pressing? Many people argued that the UK government had better things to do in 2013 than pass the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act, but I would beg to differ quite strongly.

I don't know what it's like in Canada or elsewhere, but our parliament only sits for three full days a week as it is, and then has a long recess during the summer and other holidays. The amount of time that's actually dedicated to debate and law making in the UK is ridiculously small (hate to think what they will do if we leave the EU on 23rd June). All it requires is the political will and parliamentary time and a great deal can be achieved.