1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From when you knew, how long did it take you to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shadstack, May 30, 2016.

1. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oops, I meant four years.

2. Majush93

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I really thought about it in high school but never accepted myself....it´s ironic because I was always really supportive of lgbt+ people but I couldn´t accept myself :/ anyway I fully admited it and really accepted myself last year when I was 21 years old :wink: and it was the most amazing thing that could happen to me :slight_smile:) I managed to keep my mouth shut about moth or two but I just hadd to tell somebody because it was really hard not to talk about something that is part of you and you have been rejecting it for so long so I told my best friend :slight_smile:) she was really supportive ♥ and since then I have come out to 5 people in my real life (I am fully out on the internet, not fb though xD) :slight_smile:

3. neverknowsbest

14 years...

#23 neverknowsbest, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    13 years..and counting....I'm only really out to 1 person that matters. This will change in a few months though.

5. guitar

From the time I *really knew* and accepted I was gay, about 1-2 years to start coming out to friends and family. Another 2 years before I Came out to everyone.

6. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I came out in 2010 at the age of 40 as a transgender woman, then spent a year and a half in reparative therapy, before coming out as a gay male, then as a pansexual transwoman, then as a bisexual woman, and now finally as a very confirmed lesbian.

But I've been queer orientated all my life. All the people who I met including many bullies and sexual predators knew before I even acknowledged it.

I've always been very femme. I just always suppressed it because I was told that people like that are evil and won't get to heaven, and I didn't want that.

7. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I knew for sure when I was 13.
    Came out to myself as gay when i was 21.
    Told everyone when I was 34.
    Not recommended.

8. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    14 when I knew I was different.
    I was 19 when I began to tell random gay people I met whilst drunk that I was curious.
    20 when I decided to address it, and 20 to tell anyone who's acceptance I cared about, a few close friends, which were the scariest conversations I've ever had.

9. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I started questioning fall of 7th grade, and came out to another person for the first time during the spring of 8th grade. I'm going to be in 10th grade this coming school year, so it has been 3 years since I knew I liked girls.

10. Just Call Me Ky

I came out to the first person about a year after I really accepted that there was no way I was just straight. I am out to all of my close friends over the course of two years and my cousin because he is gay and I'm pretty sure he told his sister :/ but I will not come out to family until I am eighteen (and maybe not even then) due to their passionate religion and the way they treat my cousin.

I would be so uncomfortable if I was still at home when I came out. Do it when you are ready and also it doesn't have to be a big deal. If I do date a girl in the near future I am just gonna hold her hand and be affectionate in front of my parents and kind of let them figure it out. They might yell at me or maybe they will talk to me in private later but if I do it this way it leaves the ball in their court and I don't have to start a deep and awkward conversation about my sexuality and preferances with my family members. Good luck with everything :slight_smile: -Ky

11. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think i was 10 when i noticed i was.......different i didn't want to be so i avidly pursued guys, now i realize i like women more than one, actually just one really but she is straight....:-(

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2016 at 06:25 PM ----------

I would be out much more but my parents, well if i were well id probably be kicked out abd never see my little brother ever again

12. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a late bloomer but a year after my own self-acceptance.

13. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, the minute I realized I am bisexual, I announced it. No joke. Of course, I said it to my (then) husband, we were in our mid 20's, and I wasn't planning to do anything with it. It was an, oh, now that make sense moment. I've had it relatively easy, though, in that it never plagued me - I was content with my marriage, etc.

When he came out to me 18 months ago, after 18 years of marriage, I decided that if I'm going to date, I might as well keep my options open. It was only then that I told anyone else about my sexuality. So - immediately, and 13(?) years later. It's a journey and we all come out in our own time.

14. entopen

Took me about a month after I actually realized being asexual/romantic and agender were a thing you can actually be. (my religious parents tried to imply otherwise, that only straight, gender-binary people existed)

However, the people I did come out to weren't very important and couldn't really help me.

So in terms of important people, i still haven't technically come out yet. I know it will probably take years, but it will happen.

15. halfout

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't stress, some people take more or less time to come out than others! For me, I came out to my close friends after 4 years of knowing I liked girls and only a couple of months of knowing I EXCLUSIVELY liked girls. I'm sure it'll be at least two more years before I tell my parents-- I need to be out of the house.

16. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It took me about 3 months. I knew it'd come up at some point whenever I start dating but I figured I'd do it sooner rather than later.

17. Quen

It's been nine years since I realized I was not straight. I sort of told my father four years after that, and I sort of told my best friend in the past six months. I plan to officially come out to my mother, possibly my aunt, and maybe my sisters and some cousins this summer, hopefully this month. As for my gender, I only just figured it out (though I'm still trying to choose the right word to describe it), but I've been questioning for almost as long I knew I wasn't straight. I officially came out to my best friend about my gender at the same time I sort of revealed my sexuality.

18. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Up until my mid 20s I assumed that I was a 'late developer'. Then I met my super crush!!!!!!!!
    I jumped back in to the closet, nailed it shut, put a padlock on it until I was 50!:bang:
    :tears:

19. alext328

Out Status:
    A few people
    its been about 3 years since I started figuring out my sexuality and twos years my gender, and I've only figured out my gender 10 months ago and i'm still questioning my sexuality every few months but i'm going as pan for now, anyway I came out to my friend as bi/questioning and 9/10 months ago I came out to that friend as trans and now I just come out to people i'm friends with since they're lgbt+ and talk about it and ask me so, but i'm not out to family or anything yet