1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hospital Stay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gunsmoke, May 29, 2016.

1. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so this is probably totally stupid, but please bear with me.

I have an operation coming up. Nothing serious, a pretty minor thing, actually, but my surgeon says that I'll be in hospital for 2-3 days. I know this isn't a long time (and I'll be mostly asleep anyway), but I'm kind of worried about it. It's a big, city hospital, not the one that I go to for my appointments, and I don't know the place at all and it seems very big and daunting. It freaks me out a bit, I mean, I hate hospitals and the thought of staying in one alone and many miles away from everyone I know bothers me - it wouldn't be so bad if it was my local hospital, but it isn't, it's some huge and unfamiliar place that I've only visited once before.

I'm sorry for being pathetic, I know that 2-3 days isn't a long time at all, but I was wondering if anybody maybe had any ideas on how to deal with it. I just hate that particular hospital and the thought of spending any length of time there all alone bothers me.

Thanks for reading!

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aren't you going to have friends or family there with you?

3. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Will you have a phone or laptop with you? I suggest binge watching some YouTube.
    My favourite channels:
    shoe0nhead
    ArmouredSkeptic
    LeafyIsHere
    Blaire White
    MTV News (they're not good, they're just gun to laugh at: MTV Decoded is lolcow central)
    And this one is a bit random...but Skydoesminecraft's OLDER videos. He doesn't make good ones any more, but his old Let's Plays are gold.

Have fun. :slight_smile:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest bringing your phone/tablet/laptop with you to keep you preoccupied since recovering can be boring and tedious (assuming you're doctor is cool with it).

5. thepandaboss

Books for sure too. And I hear ya. I've actually never had surgery before. Only time I've had to stay in a hospital was an ER visit and I got sent home that same night. So I'm gonna be taking some advice from this thread when I go in for my hysto/top (whatever comes first).

Any way to take a friend or family member with you?

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family will be there sometimes... I probably won't let them stay for too long, haha, they're all busy people and I don't want to be a burden.
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I probably can't take my laptop but maybe I'll finish my book or something. :slight_smile:

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Books, laptop, and anime if you like it.

I hope everything goes well!

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spent a few days in a big city hospital, but I was a child and my mother was there the whole time. To be honest, besides the reason I was actually there, I kind of.. enjoyed myself? As odd as it sounds - it was kind of like being in a hotel, lol. There were toys for me to play with, the canteen food was actually okay and there was a great view of the skyline from our window.

#8 imnotreallysure, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  9. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you!

That doesn't sound so bad at all. :slight_smile: I guess one of my issues is that I'm a bit of a night owl and I often have problems sleeping, especially with getting to sleep and sometimes with waking up in the night. I usually quite like the night, but combined with some big, old hospital that I find mildly creepy? Ick...
    I'm making it sound like a horror story. Oops...

10. A Seraphim Moon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any time that I end up staying in a hospital that is exactly how I feel, haha. My mind races with all the scary movies I've seen. But, generally it's not so bad. I will say one thing though, my last stay I could barely move 1 nurse and 1 of the aids that brought me my meals. OMG! I could've killed them. The nurse was rude and the aid that brought the food literally tossed the tray down on my little table and would walk away. I couldn't even position myself by myself to be able to eat.

Remember, stick to your guns! They are there to care for you! If there is anything that you don't agree with, anything you want to change, etc. You are allowed to speak up. After I made one of the nice ones aware of what was going on, it changed. It was a 3 day stay for me. I didn't have anyone visit but the person I was sharing the room with was awesome! His wife even brought me a Mt. Dew and a hamburger, haha. Gotta love hospital food! :icon_wink Be prepared to watch lots of tv, sleep, get online, sleep, watch tv, and then sleep some more! haha :icon_bigg

#10 A Seraphim Moon, May 30, 2016
  11. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'll be okay. You got this!

12. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, both of you. :slight_smile:

Aw damn, that must have been bad whilst it lasted. :frowning2: I mean, I don't think I'll be eating anything whilst I'm there (the operation is on my jaw), but still...

Yeah, maybe I'll be in a room with somebody nice, haha, that would be great.
    Honestly, I think that sleeping is all I'll be doing, as well as watching random tv series. It's kind of a silly thing to be worried about, I know...

13. Charlz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I spent a lot of time in the hospital as a kid, and even sometimes now if things get bad with my kidneys. Generally lots of sleeping happened but I also had a GameBoy and books for when I was awake.

14. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My Dad actually bought me a book to read whilst I'm there seeing as I won't be doing much. It was really thoughtful of him, actually, seeing as we more or less like the same genres in terms of books and films. :slight_smile: So I guess I'll probably read that, I just hope that I sleep through the night because I won't be able to do anything then...

#14 Gunsmoke, May 30, 2016
  15. gryf

Sometimes you will also through most if the nights. But usually you will be m wake up when they do required checks in your vital signs. Then fall back asleep quick.

You may also a lot, but you may be up during the day a lot also. If it's really hard on you, you'll also most of the first day. If it isn't you will nap a ton, but you will be semi conscious much of the day and into early evening.

I've been in hospitals several times for serious stuff and I always felt like I didn't get enough sleep. But since you'll be on meds, time will pass fairly easily. And mom says, if you don't like something speak up! It will help.

Sometimes, if you wanted, they may let a family member stay with you overnight, but not always.

Best if luck. It's always scary and daunting, but the reality is much more lame. :slight_smile:

If it's minor, you may be out sooner than the 3 days. Only having to stay one night.

Best

16. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you!

Eh, I think they said two days or maybe three, they're not sure. Apparently it's not a good idea to leave after only one day, my surgeon reckons that people who do that (having had the same operation) usually regret it afterwards.

Haha, I'm legally an adult, I'm just a wuss when it comes to hospitals. Particularly that one. I don't think they'll let another adult stay with me!

Yeah, I hope it will mostly be sleeping, I think that would be easier. :slight_smile:

17. A Seraphim Moon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yea~vital checks! Ugh! So annoying. Finally get comfy and they come in to do vitals, haha. I know they have to, but still annoying. And very true about that first day... It's more of a haze, semi-conscious sort of thing. Especially, if it is a surgery where they knock you out completely for. I am going to assume that with it being your jaw you will be. It takes almost that whole first day for it to wear off some times longer depending on how you take to it.

If you are really nervous, you can always ask them for something to calm you. They did that with me both times. Last year I went to the ER and didn't even know I needed surgery. I was taken straight back, the nurses and the doctors were all very nice and understandable with that scenario and gave me something as soon as I got back in the prep room. One of them said "Hun~you look really confused." Then before I could answer gave me a shot. My reply "Umm-Uh-yeah! Wait, uh! What was that? Wait, wait... Where am I? I know they told me in the ER I needed surgery. But, they said they were putting me in room 217."

They all kinda looked at each other then replied with "Well, that's why we gave you that. We wanted to calm you down first. Before telling you. Hun~you're in the OR, we're operating now. I'm sure you noticed this room isn't a room upstairs." Then with a smile went back to work. A nurse finished the reply "Oh don't worry it's a major surgery. You'll be going home in about three days and after surgery that is when you'll be in room 217." The doctor performing the surgery let me call my father with 'his' cell phone. He even talked my father through it so he didn't have to worry, by the time the surgery was over and I got to the room my dad was already in there waiting on me.

That hospital allowed family members to stay, but it's not very comfortable. So, I opted out of it. Dad came back and visited me though the next day. But, yea! It won't be that bad. You'll be in LaLa land with the medication so it'll probably fly by. And the book idea is good, just don't be surprised if after you get home you think back to the book and can't remember for the life of you any of it that you read! haha

Oh, and the food... I mean it's not horrible. It just depends on what it is. After surgery it's usually just broth you are allowed to have. With a jaw surgery... Hmm~not sure how well... Depends what kind of surgery. But, yea.. Honestly the guy's, the one I shared the room with, wife was awesome! She's like "Now, if the nurse asks you anything... The burger appeared out of nowhere along with the Mt. Dew. I was never here and I never gave it to you." She was sweet... I have an addiction to Mt. Dew. Can't live without it. The hamburger wasn't so bad.

They had me on some weird diet for some reason at the hospital, so there were certain foods I couldn't have. The only thing I remember telling them was that I am lactose intolerant. But, the aid kept giving me milk and food that was almost what they give to diabetics. Had me really confused. haha But, yea... I have faith in you! You'll do great. You'll have to keep us updated with it and your recovery.

18. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, they're completely knocking me out for it, thankfully. Damn, can you imagine being awake for something like that...

I hope I won't be that bad, I mean, I'll get there and be put under anesthesia so I doubt I'll need anything (besides, it'll be ridiculously early in the morning - by which I mean normal waking hours - so hopefully I'll be drowsy anyway).

I suppose they will make me eat something, won't they... Ugh, I've never even had soup before but I know I won't like it at all, ah well. At least I'll lose weight I guess! Not that I need to, but it's an excuse to eat a lot once my jaw heals, sooooo...

That's strange, I wonder why they did that...? Hospital rules, damn.

Thank you! And yeah, I will. :slight_smile: