1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things people say to people who have major depression

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Green251, May 29, 2016.

1. Green251

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate when people tell me that there are other people that have it worse than me. It makes me feel so guilty! I'm feeling so depressed , alone and miserable but there people with worse problems. I was told that in 6th grade and have carried it with me ever since!

2. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here! As if we don't have it hard enough without people telling us that "other people have it worse"! It just adds to the stigma against mental health issues, it certainly does nothing to help us.
    A lot of people have external problems; we have internal problems (or some people have internal AND external). Nobody's problems are any more or less valid than somebody else's issues.

3. gryf

Just because someone ELSE has it "worse" doesn't invalidate your experience.

Depression can be caused by emotional stressors that aren't outwardly apparent. And there could be an underlying issue, where YOU feel more intensely than many others given similar circumstance.

The thought that someone else is worse is usually intended to impart a relief as you could think, your situation isn't as bad as you thougt. ... BUT, for depressive person, it doescause that guilt and can invalidate feelings. contrary to it's purpose.

Your feelings are what they are and you feel how you do. No matter what another is going through it doesn't make your feelings less real

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. Exactly.
    Depression is a mental illness. It's not just sadness that can be gotten over with
    It's a mix of intense grief, lack of motivation, low self esteem, and no desire to live- the inability to completely feel happiness, it's not a feeling. And some people don't get that.

5. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep that's the worst. My second least favorite is, "well just smile anyway until you feel better." My dads side is bad with that one. I've always wanted to say sorry my mind crushing depression is inconvenient for you, with heavy sarcasm. I don't think it would help their attitude though.

6. Icecold3710

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Im just curious.. What makes it feel better when you are depressed?

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone to just listen and not try to fix you. Going out with someone, or for a walk with someone. By my self gardening.

8. faustian1

^^ That is right on.

9. Green251

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've dealt with this on and off since I was 11. And every time I get this bad off, I just wish I had someone to talk to that didn't want to say.... The solution is simple.... If you just.... I used to go to therapy. Usually a year will get me back to 'normal' whatever that is!!

10. afgirl

True depression needs to be diagnosed by a doctor. I am very thankful for treatment. It's a very private thing, and people who have not experienced it do not understand. It's not just feeling low for a few days and something you will snap out of. I have personally never experienced anyone saying anything like this to me, but I was very careful not to let too many people know what I was going through. If you feel as though you are experiencing true depression, I would urge you to see your doctor. Treatment makes a world of difference.

11. Green251

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was diagnosed by a Dr. Several times. The medicines make me worse and I've tried many. This last one really messed me up. And it was a counselor that told me that they don't understand because I have it so well... That other people have it so bad. That I should feel lucky not depressed. No I don't see that person any mor .

12. afgirl

Wow. That is not good. I would see someone else. I really believe mine is chemically based but exacerbated (sp?) by stress in my life. I am on just the lowest dosage of a common antidepressant and it seems to really help me.

13. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard "You have to push through it, you choose to feel happy or sad"...yes because I totally choose to feel depressed . /sarcasm/
    Sometimes it helps a little bit when I do things I usually love like crafting or taking a walk early in the morning when no one else is around to bother me, or just taking a hot shower.

14. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Antidepressants don't work for everyone. I found a huge amount of relief when I started taking my ADD meds again. My doc said he had several people a year who responded the same way. You said you have seizures, one of my freinds in HS had pretty bad seizures, when they were bothering him a lot his mood would tank right before they started a long interruption in his life. Ask your Neuro if they can affect emotion for long periods.

15. Green251

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I try to talk to my neuro he doesn't care about anything about my emotions. He reverts the conversation. I all ready had my yearly appointment so I'm afraid that my insurance won't pay for another visit. I have this black spot in my brain. I haven't had a scan in 6 years for that.he's not concerned about that either!

16. RJaye

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    And the neuro doesn't explain why he's not concerned about the black spot? Ask for a written report.

To add to what other people have written, I have dealt with depression for 45 years, and it was only this last year my psych rediagnosed me as bipolar 2, which is severe depression interspersed with hypomania, and I was blessed with the anxiety ridden, angry, insomniac kind. He kept me on an antidepressant, added a mood stabilizer, and Ritalin. I've been stable for the first time in that whole time.

Not that you could be bipolar but that there are options medically that could be helpful that aren't antidepressants. Also, it does sound like you need a new therapist. "Have it so well?" Depression isn't having it so well.

17. gryf

The counselor sounds incompetent. I'm glad you are rid of them. Good Move for you,

Keep trying new therapists until one clicks. Ive hadseveral. Sometimes, i outgrow someone's methods and just need a change. That can happen too and it's OK.

It sounds weird, or stereotypical, but Chocolate (very very dark, like 80% or higher) can be of great help. I've found it to lift my mood just enough to get out of a depressive rut sometimes.

I've been on a ridiculous number of meds. One turned emotion entirely off. that was weird. Another made me more unstable, some made me antsy, others just didn't work. but now im at a point where they mostly do thier job. im still on several meds, but at low doses and at last it's helping for the most part.

Keep trying. You may find something that works.

Also, Look up meditation, the simple breating one. and the one about caring about yourself/others. I don't recall what they are called, butthe one where you just let your mind go blank and concentrate on breathing helps me immensely.

18. Icecold3710

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My friend committed suicide because of depression. He was in denial and it was late for us to save him.

19. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Major depression can be a fatal disease. These comments are sort of like telling someone who has diabetes or cancer to just eat right and you'll be O.K. These comments are based in ignorance and should be dismissed accordingly. Mouth moving...brain not so much.

20. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    New doctors are the best choice I ever made. If they don't care they aren't competent, that's not a reflection on you, it just means their bad at their job.