1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first LGBT person you knew?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crazydog15, May 27, 2016.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had a roommate in college who was gay. I found out by hearing him talk about it with a friend. I was somewhat surprised to learn that he was gay, and he was surprised to learn that I didn't already know. At the time I was still in denial of my own sexuality. Our relationship didn't change better or worse afterwards.

There were two people who I had met before that who weren't out at the time I met them. One was the mother of a childhood friend of mine who my mom ran into years later and she told my mom that she divorced her husband and was in a relationship with a woman. The other was the granddaughter of friend of my dad's. She was only about 10 when I first met her, and later as a teen she came out.

2. Cedar

There was this really cool group of people that I hung out with when I lived in California. A few of them were either bisexual or gay. The first open trans person I met was also in high school but in my senior year when I lived in Philly. I'm so thankful to have met them, they are a great person(I still talk to them sometimes) ^_^~.

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My aunt, though I was told her girlfriend was her 'special friend who she lived with' :wink:

4. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was very young, we used to *Act* gay for amusement, he would like take off all his clothes and go naked on the street, etc. Whilst most people thought he was just a nut, he actually was Gay and really depressed. Of course I only found that out a decade after when by chance I met him grown up.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh, wow, good one... I guess it was a friend of mine. He just went 'I'm gay', and me coming from a really opressive and homophobic enviroment answered a shy 'Hmm, okay, shall we go to the supermarkt and get something for dinner now?' Yeah, the most uncool answer, I know, but he knocked me out when he said it.

Not that bad nowadays... If I'm attracted to them I'll be uncomfortable, 'cause now I know they could be available...

6. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To clarify, I wrote we; but I meant ONLY him xD everyone else knew those acts where crazy and unrealistic.

#46 NoXsOrOs, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was my neighbor I was 8 and it didn't bother me at all.

8. PinkCarnation41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A male who lived with his "best friend" in the village I grew up in. I was about 8 at the time. Looking back on it now everyone knew they were gay but no-one said anything.

9. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A gay guy who went to my school who's a few years older than me. I must have been 11-12 at the time. I don't know if he was "out" or not, but I think it was fairly obvious.

10. musiclover78

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well through a dating app but never dated anyone i met in there

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In fifth grade (when I was eleven years old) a boy in my grade was openly gay. After he came out, rumors started going around that various other students were gay, including myself. That's how I found out what "gay" meant and even started to question my own orientation a bit.

I never knew him very well, but apparently he liked My Little Pony and was an amazing singer. ^^ Actually, I heard him sing once. It was amazing!

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2016 at 08:51 PM ----------

:lol:

12. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A sister's friend, he's gay and a nice person. I know him since I have 15 years old.

13. DaniC

The way the question is phrased is ambiguous to me. I think what it is, and what most people are answering, is who was the first out LGBT person?

But looking back, my youth minister was gay, I just didn't know it until I was about 25. So I had known him from the time I was in 6th grade on.

I dated a girl briefly in high school (9th grade) who is now happily married to a woman she has since met.

And at least two guys I went to high school with that I knew well are both happily married now to men they have met and I'm friends with them on Facebook.

But as far as the first people I knew were LGBT? I guess maybe in college probably, but when I started serving and bartending when I was 21 I got to know several people that I worked with who are gay. And many of the customers that were coming in were LGB, although I can't say for sure that I know I'd ever met another trans person until this year. That's when I found my people.

14. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first person I knew who was gay was actually pansexual. She was one of my friends. I found out while we were talking at a cafe and debating several topics.

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My uncle. I was young and didn't even realize I was gay so I originally thought it was kinda strange, but I didn't think any different of him.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why always uncle... :frowning2:

17. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a guy in high school that my friend at the time was friends with. I knew of him, but never met him until then. Then my friend told me he was gay, I'm like "What, never would have guessed.". He hung around this other guy a lot, they were like bestfriends it seemed and he had a crush on him, but the other guy didn't know.

#57 Blood Elf, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  18. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, one of my closest friends is trans. I feel I'm doing a good job of using the correct name and all. He didn't tell me until high school, but I rather quickly swapped names for him.

Probably the only ftm person I've met, it really does help to hear from him as it's much easier to understand when you're being told in person. Until then I hadn't heard anything and I was a bit... ill educated?

Nevertheless, I do applaud him for having patience towards me and my weirdness.

19. the haunted

My uncle. He came out as a young teen, so he's been gay for well beyond my lifespan. I guess my parents really didn't think anything of it, because they never felt the need to tell me. When I asked my mom why he wasn't married she was like, "Do you not know that uncle Danny is gay?" and I'm like uhhhh no? Lol.

Before that I'm pretty sure the only gay person I have heard of was Ricky Martin :lol:

#59 the haunted, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  20. DragonOfNarnia

My aunt's (mum's sister) openly lesbian friend. I was about 5 years old when I had my first conscious memory of her. She read me the fairy tale "The Princess and The Pea". She's a butch and it was very obvious. I knew she was "different" but didn't think much of it. I asked my aunt many years later when the word "lesbian" was in my vocabulary and my suspicion was proven correct.