1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your stance in gender neutral bathrooms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadstack, May 25, 2016.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We actually had them in college--showers and everything--didn't bother me. My sophomore year was the only year that I was in a building where you didn't have a bathroom in your suite. There were instead two large bathrooms per floor and you used whichever one was closest to your room. Nobody seemed to have an issue with it. Kind of amazing given that it was over 25 years ago.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would actually feel more comfortable in gender neutral bathrooms than I would in gendered bathrooms
    I don't feel I belong in men's rooms, and I don't feel I belong in female's rooms, but gender neutral (aka unisex) are for everyone so I would be fine there.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 09:58 AM ----------

You do realize that female rest rooms are nasty as hell to, right?
    I've been in some with piss on the seats as well as the floor. Some women don't flush so you have piss and shit just floating around, worse if they were on their periods...And while on the topic of periods. I have had the unfortunate pleasure of walking into a stall that had blood on the walls, floor, and seat.

Do not call men animals when females are just as bad.

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My school has gender natural bathrooms in some parts..
    People disliked it at first but it's quite practical

4. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm all for them, although I understand that some people aren't comfortable with the idea

5. ChameleonSoul

Seeming as how I'm a non-binary trans person, it'd be kind of hypocritical of me to not support them.

#45 ChameleonSoul, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. Sharka Sharka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm okay with it being a third option. I feel like people should have the choice to choose which bathroom they feel most comfortable with, for everyone, instead of getting rid of the existing bathrooms we have now. If moms feel uncomfortable bringing their little girls to pee in bathrooms with older men, she shouldn't be forced to.

7. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly how I feel.

Anyway, I completely understand why some people would feel uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with a gender non-conforming person, trans*, or someone of the opposite gender. I don't think getting rid of gendered washrooms completely would be a good idea either, but instead having three bathrooms or just calling the family bathroom something else (unisex bathroom) if a place has one.

#47 Hawk, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  8. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

I wish there were gender neutral bathrooms everywhere -_-

But yeah I agree that all three should be available (at least for now) because tons of people would feel uncomfortable (and the whole idea is to make people feel more comfortable, right?) That being said, I thinks it's kind of dumb that we have separate bathrooms in the first place

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love gender neutral toilets! They ensure that everyone has a toilet they are comfortable using. I don't think necessarily all toilets should be gender neutral, but having the option of one or two would be great.

I have a seen a lot of disabled toilets that are gender neutral, but as far as I can recall, the only normal neutral toilets were when I went to Oxford on a school trip. The college we had a look around had stalls with a loo and sink that came straight off from the corridor, with full wooden doors. They were brilliant.

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 05:18 PM ----------

I love gender neutral toilets! They ensure that everyone has a toilet they are comfortable using. I don't think necessarily all toilets should be gender neutral, but having the option of one or two would be great.

I have a seen a lot of disabled toilets that are gender neutral, but as far as I can recall, the only normal neutral toilets were when I went to Oxford on a school trip. The college we had a look around had stalls with a loo and sink that came straight off from the corridor, with full wooden doors. They were brilliant.

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wholeheartedly support them.

I've been in both bathrooms, so I really don't care who's in there. It's also a good thing for trans people who are not comfortable in either rooms or non-binary individuals.

11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also want to point out, for those women opposed to unisex restrooms, that the separation of restroo.s didn't happen till the late 19th century and was apart of the whole "women belong in the home" movement. It wasn't in till the 1920s that laws passed saying that women and men needed separate bathrooms. It was a way of fighting against women suffrage movements

Bathrooms did not use to be separated by gender. At least not all of them

#51 Matto_Corvo, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  12. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On the walls?? How the hell do you get it on the walls? Are you sure it wasn't a murder scene?

In relation to the actual topic of the thread, they are not something I am opposed to, however, I would like them in addition to male and female separated bathrooms, rather than as a replacement of them. The thought of walking past a bunch of guys at urinals doesn't really appeal to me.

#52 Gunsmoke, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  13. DemonzPrincess

I think it would be a cool idea since a lot more people in the community are non binary and are uncomfortable with gendered bathrooms. Personally myself being uncomfortable, I would love them.

14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm trying to figure out how they got it on the walls myself, probably had some on their hands and didn't bother to clean it

15. fenestra

I think we need more anecdotal evidence on this topic. I hereby challenge all the men/males out there to use the women's room (provided it's a single) and the women/females to use the men's room and report back. Maybe dispel a little stigma while we're at it. What are they gonna do, arrest us? Strip search?

Come on. Doitdoitdoitdoitdoit

16. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all in for them, but I'd rather they have just single room toilets. However that would mean more building cost and more waiting in lines :/
    I would feel awkward if everyone else used single sex toilets then I have to go next door into the neutral one. So I'd rather they made every toilet neutral, or had none at all and just kick out all the people who will harass any trans people going in. I don't like how some people seem to view it as 'making accomodations for the special people', and I think that's gotten to my head a bit too much so now I think if I had the option of female, neutral or male bathroom, I'd actually just use the male bathroom just to avoid drawing attention to myself. But I don't know, I have a lot of mixed feelings about it...

17. bunger

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As a bi guy, I have used the women's restroom several times. BECAUSE I REALLY HAD TO F*****ing go. Not because I wanted a peek. Seriously. nobody does that. And the sooner the government recognizes it, the better we all are.

18. ok455

Bathrooms should be separated imo it been like that for ages. if your not comfortable using a female or male bathroom use the family restroom. I always feel like the women's bathroom was dirty. I can't believe how much of a big issue this is only in America.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that gender-segregated bathrooms are unnecessary and that we should finally grow up as a species and stop caring about what bathroom people shit in.

20. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fine with them. I mean, we kind of already have them, too, like the wheelchair bathrooms. And some places just don't have gendered washrooms.