1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Novosexual"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by supernova, May 24, 2016.

1. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    So I was looking at some pride photos on instagram and I saw a sexuality that I've never seen before, "novosexual". I looked up the definition, and the one I found was that novosexual means that the person feel as though their orientation changes on a daily basis. As in homosexual one day, pan the next, heterosexual the next.

I know that recently a lot of people on tumblr have been creating odd identities that have no validity to them, but is this one of them?

What's everyone's opinion on this?

2. littleraven

I don't know. To me, it sounds more like just pansexuality.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, I've always just heard that called 'fluid' sexuality.

Interesting though, I haven't heard of that either.

4. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's just a label someone invented to describe how she/he feels. Sometimes words get in the way of reality, so you have to be careful to see the issue objectively instead of through the terms someone invents.

Anyway, regarding the validity of such an orientation, I think it's true to a certain extent. One may be pansexual, for instance, but identify differently every day due to personal reasons, whatever they are. If someone is homosexual one day, that homosexuality will not entirely fade away the next; however, the person can label herself/himself as "novosexual" and believe that she/he truly is the manifestation of the definition assigned to the word. If people want you to refer to them as novosexual, you can respect that, but keep in mind that language may distort people's views of the objective reality.

I hope this helps in any way. Have a nice day! :icon_bigg

5. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    On a similar note if you look on https://haveagaydayorg.tumblr.com/Identities there are a lot of odd identities I've never seen before.

For example:
    WTFromatic "A term under the aromantic umbrella. Does not experience romantic attraction in the typical manner, does not see the lines between romance and friendship, experiences emotions between platonic and romantic attraction, etc."

Begs the questions as to how much I missed in the year I was inactive...

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I think things have gotten a little out of hand with all of these labels over the past several years, but whatever floats their boat, lol. :icon_conf

7. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I thought too.

8. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think by this definition, novosexual would be something like liking all genders one day, and then another day only liking women. I don't see that as being anything like pansexuality. The difference between the two is that shift. I haven't met many pansexuals who's attraction shifts like that.

9. littleraven

I see.

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like fluid sexuality, which I'm not sure I buy into either.

Most of these new labels get in the way more than help. I think it is advantageous to stick to the broad descriptions of "gay, straight, bi, or ace." The rest is subcategorization and unnecessary on first meeting.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, natural variations in sexual attractions. Some days I'll be into a certain type of guys, others a different type... I imagine for bisexual individuals there are days when they "feel" more into a certain sex. Idk if you need to invent a new sexuality for that.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another of the hundreds of self-absorbed Tumblr-based bullshit non-identity-identities with absolutely no basis or grounding in anything. About as real as 'unicornsexual'

13. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it isn't like leaning one way or another if you're bi/pan, it's more like a complete fluidity of sexuality all together.

14. iiimee

Mehh, novosexual just sounds like another way to say pan or bi to me... People keep telling me those two are different, but in terms of how people act, they seem like the same thing to me. I mean, whether you care a lot about your partner's sex or not at all doesn't really matter when you are attracted to them regardless, right? Idk, that's just how I see things... I say I'm bi if people ask, but that's because I just don't care about small differences- I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I'm not affected by them and in my opinion, I don't think they're important- If they're important to you, great, but I'm sort of a loner anyway, so people's feelings aren't that important to me anyway... Make no mistake: I'll respect somebody and call them whatever they want, but just as another person, I value people's mental and physical health over their passing feelings for me. I still want to help people, because I know I need help sometimes too, but yeah... This is just my quick opinion. Novosexual just sounds like another weird extra word to add to my vocabulary. Be whatever you want: I won't judge, as long as you seem somewhat sane and aren't asking for me to refer to you as "ze" or "zim".