1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT, Day 1... :)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MsEmma, May 24, 2016.

1. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I had my appointment with my endocrinologist today. It went pretty well, all things considered - especially since it was through the VA. The guy that I saw was very understanding and used the right pronouns, etc. Very solid. It is a teaching hospital so he called in the attending and that's where it started to go downhill a bit.

The attending was an older lady (she said she'd been practicing for 30 years) and we rehashed all the info I'd already given to the initial Dr. However, she was much more resistant to starting estrogen. I was taken a little aback, actually, and didn't advocate for myself very well. I had read over the WPATH Standards of Care before going in, but didn't have them ready for recall so I felt very much disadvantaged. She said that she wants me to go full-time for 4 months before beginning estrogen, which doesn't comport with my understanding of current practice/recommedations. She did start me on spironolactone, but at a pretty low dose (I know we're not supposed to talk about specific doses so I'm not going to go into all that).

My next appointment is in 4 months, but I'm seriously contemplating calling for one sooner than that to discuss the WPATH SOC and also the referral from my psychatrist that specifically has a diagnosis for gender dysphoria (which is how I got the initial appointment with endo to begin with).

I hate it when I feel like I get bullied into just accepting something during a medical appointment just because they're the MDs. Ugh. I should have been better prepared.

But, as almost always, I'm going to end on a positive note... I went to the appointment en femme and rocked my new boots. I got plenty of looks from the fellow veterans - they weren't quite sure what to think of a 6'1" tall trans woman strutting through the VA hospital, but screw 'em. I even got my blood work done and sat in the pharmacy after like a confident, proud, strong woman. Not a single person had the nerve to say shit, either.

Here's a photo... not sure how big it'll be so I put it in the spoiler tags
    [​IMG]

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gurl that headband is to die for.

And congratulations on your next huge step.

3. littleraven

Congratulations on being able to start HRT. (*hug*)

4. Cedar

Well, congrats to you!!! Another chapter to the book called life, I hope all goes well for you~! I'm also working on getting onto T, I might not be at the same mark as you but I do hope to be there some day!

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are so brave! I know the feeling, It can be so hard to talk and assert yourself when talking to doctors as it feels like they have the power and control. My endo appointment months ago was a disaster as the doctor prescribed me a medication that I didn't feel comfortable taking becausr it has dangerous side effects and is considered a really bad estrogen tablet by the trans community. (It is a banned topic on one forum because it is supposed to be so bad.) At the time,I knew what tablets I wanted but like you, I found it so hard to talk. It was such an awkward situation to be in. At least you got a good anti androgen tablet. It takes a long time for some of its effects to work and it is important to start as soon as you can. It also means that they will give you estrogen eventually as anti androgen's aren't supposed to be taken for long periods of time without estrogen. Asking for an earlier appointment is a good idea, maybe tell them that you are worried about going for too long without Estrogen while taking an antiandrogen.

Much hugs and love,

(*hug*)

Eveline

7. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Daydreamer1, Cedar, & littleraven! And, Kasey, I love this headband! It's a Target special... Everytime I wear it, I think that (a) it's super-cute and (b) i'm giving the AFA and religious right wingnuts the double-finger. :wink:

Ugh. That's terrible. Sometimes doctors are stupid. Good for you for standing up for yourself, though! :thumbsup:

You make really good points about the effects of antiandrogen without a corresponding cross-sex hormone. I'm definitely going in there prepared - notes, highlighted sections of the WPATH SOC to reference on my iPad, etc. They don't know who they're dealing with (yet). :wink:

8. KayJay

Congratulations! Hopefully your next visit goes a little bit more how you're hoping.

9. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good for you and you do look great! (*hug*)

Unfortunately, I never did stand up for myself. At the time I was at my lowest after months of fighting my parents and the rest of my family. I knew before going to the appointment that I was broken, I needed everything to go well. That night it took me hours to calm down enough to find the strength to take the tablets but when I came to take them, I hit a wall. The doctor prescribed me half a tablet when the tablets can't be halved and I received an amount of tablets for the next three months that took into consideration women's periods... (the estrogen tablet was a birth control pill, that they stopped prescribing as a birth control pill because of the side effects.) This forced me to look for instructions online as it was 3 am and I couldn't phone. I simply couldn't find anything about it as a estrogen tablet outside of the banned topic post. I tried to ask the psychiatrist for an appointment with anothef Endo as this one seemed inexperienced. (I knew he was a replacement doctor.) However, while I waited, I couldn't cope anymore with the family tension it was causing abd eventually I felt that I had no other choice but to put everything on hold until I move out of my parents home and became independent. It really hurts you when something like that happens after waiting for 6 months for an appointment. :icon_sad:

Sorry, I didn't want to hijack your thread, what happened happened and I'm in a decent place right now despite how complicated the situation still is and how far everything feels. :icon_redf

10. JustJJx

Yay for you! I hope your next appointments come off better for you :slight_smile: Aww, you look fab ^_^ *hugs for you*

11. Morgana

Emma, honey, I agree with the comments about the headband! It's super cute.

I know what you mean about doctors, sometimes. The important thing to note is that they are NOT in charge of your medical care; you are. The ultimate decision to either follow their advice or go to another doctor is yours. I suspect the attending is letting her own prejudices take the lead in her treatment of you, but that's just an opinion.

I wish you a good journey, m'lady, and offer hugs and felicitations on the start.

Morgana

12. Pumpion

Congrats on starting HRT! :grin: I'm still not sure if I want to do HRT when I'm a bit older and have some money of my own (I can't do it without going through the Family Law Court unfortunately cause I'm a minor until next year, ugh), but I feel that if you can start at your age (no offense girl), then I don't really have to worry about waiting too late.
    Your picture reminds me of my friend's mum, and the headband is cute too :3

13. boredboardbun

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    awww you're so cute!! Congrats on starting HRT!

14. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HRT, Day 2...

Ohhmmgeee... I feel like I have a bladder of a 4-year-old girl. I feel like I have to pee every 5 minutes.

When do I get boobs and have a normal bladder?!? (I'm kidding, of course... at least I know the pills are working in some way).

Love to you all,
    Em

#14 MsEmma, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome!!!! :eusa_clap

16. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    Congrats on starting HRT! I hope you have an amazing journey (*hug*)

17. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rock it, Em!

Lol, sorry about having to pee all the time. :slight_smile: There's a reason pregnant ladies pee non stop. Almost all of the lady hormones make people need to pee.

18. littleraven

I'm so proud of you Emma. :thumbsup: :eusa_danc

19. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations Emma!! Go You!! :grin:

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on your dosage and body size on how fast you develop breast tissue. It's not going to be over night. Patience girl, patience.