Trapped?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by kypso, May 24, 2016.

1. kypso

At work today...with young people.
    A young person said that she identifies as bisexual but her parents are homophobic and has been forced into dates with men. She even said that she was locked in a room with a random chap. Not only did I get this overwhelming sense of sadness for her but also numerous other feelings. Namely I felt trapped. Trapped because I wish I had more courage to come out to more people and be so open about it as her. I really wish now I had identified with her. To help? Would that have helped?

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 07:03 PM ----------

That feels selfish to think that now! :icon_sad:

2. whizbang

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Will you be seeing this person again? And no, don't feel selfish ;-)

3. kypso

Thank you :slight_smile: Yes will see them again. Not too bothered about them knowing or anything. I think what I was thinking about was that I wanted to make it 'not a bid deal' if that makes sense. I wanted her to have someone she knows who not only identifies as she does but also isn't repulsed by it. Feel so sad for her :frowning2:

4. Iyea

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is actually quite scary.

For one: A parent cannot stop a child leaving home by locking them in or physically
    restraining them. But parents have a legal responsibility for their children until
    their child reaches 16, so they can take action in court to bring their child back
    if he or she runs away. Once the child has reached what is known as the ‘age
    of discretion’ (around 16) it is very unlikely that the court would force the child
    back home, unless it could be shown that the child was in danger.

You didn't specify what age the young person was what i assume young is teen.

Two: A child can get married at 16 with the consent of the parents, and from 18
    without parental consent. A marriage without the full and free consent of both
    people is a forced marriage and can be annulled as invalid. Force includes
    emotional pressure. If a young person under 18 is forced into a marriage and
    forced to consummate the marriage, then that is rape.

I would be a little careful and if you feel one of these is the case i wouldn't personally hesitate to run it by childline or even the Police.

You cant lock a child in their room or force them into a relationship. its Dickensian

5. kypso

Isn't it scary that people will do this.
    This is late teens and what she was describing was at parties her parents do this to try and set her up. She is very confident and tells them where to go apparently.
    I am always weary of things that you describe in my work but don't suspect in this case.