1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents don't want me to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HumansAreStupid, May 22, 2016.

1. HumansAreStupid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I came out to my parents as a lesbian a few months ago (each separately) and they were both very supportive. I'm so happy that they were so accepting, but they don't want me to tell other people. My mum told me "It doesn't matter who you love, as long as you're happy" but she also said that it could just be a phase and that I shouldn't tell people in case I'm wrong. My dad said "well, that's just life. you cant help it." but he also told me not to label myself. They both told me that I shouldn't tell everyone at school because they don't want me to get bullied or to be wrong and have to 'come out' again as straight. I know I'm gay and this just really annoys me. I've told a few (a lot) of close friends and they have all been super supportive and accepting and they all think of me the same way, so I know that I will have a good support network to fall back onto if other kids aren't as accepting, but I don't want to disobey my parents. I also have 2 younger sisters who are likely to find out from others if I tell everyone (one is at an age where all the kids think "eeeeewwww why are two boys kissing?")and my parents both teach at my school so they would find out. I just really want to stop hiding myself! I really don't know what to do to convince my parents that I know what I'm doing.

2. Pi Fermat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello,
    Yes HumansAreStupid, I agree that indeed many humans are stupid (couldn't resist).
    Its great that you have such supportive friends and parents.
    Here is my opinion.
    Not telling everyone yet probably isn't such a bad idea, for one thing there is the bullying and you have told your friends and can discuss it with your friends so your not really hiding. Is there much benefit/would it make you feel much better telling everyone?
    At the end of the day this is something only you can know and is entirely up to you.
    I have told many of my friends, but I haven't advertised it to the whole school/world. Its something I discuss with them and in here but everyone is different.

3. jacotime45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i guess if you want to risk being bullyed and not hiding your self go for it but if you do you cant take it back

4. Bubblez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess my best advice would be to live it out rather than telling people. (If you have a crush on someone and you know they're bi/gay/etc, don't limit yourself to experience)

If you feel the need to actually tell everyone, perhaps be subtle about it. (You don't need to give people specifics about your interests. OR be VERY specific. i.e. I like THIS person. I like this specific girl.)

Also, remember that you won't stay friends with all of those people. Some of them have probably already told others 'not to tell.' People are crappy that way. But remember that if you let information out into the world, it's not really a secret anymore. you're trusting that person with something, but it's not guaranteed that they'll stick with it.

Just be careful about who you tell. Not everyone needs to know your business. You'll always be coming out to people, so don't rush into it. Tell the ones who really matter, if you feel you must.