1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'The average person reads 6 books per year'

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, May 21, 2016.

1. Goldangel455

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would read more, but I really like to read series so once I have a few series I tend to stick to them. I just don't really like the idea of getting a book and not liking it. I usually just read the books in the series as soon as it comes out. So I only read a few books every year defending on how many series I'm reading since it's usually a year between each book in a series. Don't get me wrong I love reading and tend to finish books in 1-3 days. It's just I don't have enough books to read.

2. rudysteiner

I had my AS English Lit prose exam on Friday, my exam board is WJEC. What exam board are you on to have to read three? We have two prose, one poetry, and one play. Then at A2, we have three plays, three poetry and a 3,000-word piece of coursework on two prose texts of our choice. I finished the big prose text (David Copperfield, Dickens) the day before we came back after Christmas, and finished the other about a month ago, so have had loads of time to read my own stuff.

Hope your exam(s) go well!

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not reading much lately. I used to read 2 books per month at least, but now I'm using the excuse of being too tired to read.

I need to stop doing that and get back to it ASAP. Tips on how to make it easier to recreate this habit accepted! :slight_smile:

4. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! I hope yours went well too. :slight_smile:

I'm on AQA - AS-level consisted of analysing two plays for coursework (a play by Oscar Wilde, and of course a play by good old Shakespeare), and then for the exam we had Small Island, The Great Gatsby, a selection of poems by Tennyson, and a selection of poems by Rosetti.

This year we had three coursework essays, one on Feminism in a short story (1,500 words), one on Marxism in poetry (1,500 words), and one that compared any two texts we liked, as long as they were academic enough, so I chose two plays (2,000 words). For the exam we have to read Doctor Faustus, The Bloody Chamber, and Frankenstein - the focus of the exam is the Gothic genre, so technically our teachers could have picked any three of nine texts, we just ended up with those ones. I actually really like Frankenstein, oddly enough!

How about you? :slight_smile:

#24 Gunsmoke, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  5. intherye

Just counted and I've read nine this year, three of which I'd already read. Not a huge amount but I'm quite happy with it :slight_smile:

6. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ive read 7 but they were quite long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: my brother on the other hand.... Has read over 40 he is insane. Yeah.
    I however I have nine books on the go at the same time and I just started reading war and peace which is gonna take a bloody long time

7. rudysteiner

I'll post my reply on your wall so we don't take up the thread, haha. :lol:

8. Lazuri

I used to read a lot when I was younger, but I have difficulties doing it now. I love reading, my attention span does not.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love to read, but I haven't a good book or series in a while. So I stick to my mythology and cryptologist books.

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here.

I learned to read at an early age, and since I already knew the stuff they were teaching in school, the teacher let me sit in the corner of the classroom reading chapter books while she taught the other students the alphabet. I gobbled up so many books back then, but now I just get bored trying to read. It's hard to read for one hour; I usually read for half an hour at a time. It's too hard for me to get absorbed in a book anymore.

11. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've also wondered about the extent to which people read multiple books simultaneously. I've always done so. I often read a couple non-fiction books at the same I read a couple fiction. Right now I'm reading three books. 3-4 is the average at any given time.

12. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was younger I made a point to read or re-read at least one book a day. At one point I was going through three-four depending on length. I did not have a social life or many other hobbies, lol.

These days I've replaced that with articles, forums, text games and other non-book things. So far as books I try to read one or two a month but am not very successful. Still more than average I think.

13. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This year I've already read about 16 already. I also keep re-reading some books. I've also ordered seven more books :slight_smile:

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup!

I used to finish a moderate sized book in a day or two :lol: But so far this year I've read half a book (I plan on finishing it sometime...)