1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Normal To Not Have Much Dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iamjustababy, May 16, 2016.

1. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So.. I'm about a year and a half into my transition. When I first started my transition, I had such severe Dysphoria that I wore my binder 24/7, I tried to pack with a sock, and I tried to make my voice deeper.
    Now it's like, I can comfortably take my binder off around the house, I don't even worry about packing, and my voice? There's a bit of dysphoria there, but not as much as before.

I think what helped me get over dysphoria was knowing that I had my hormone blocker, and that I was going to start T in the future.

I feel like people view me as 'less trans' because of my lack of disphoria.

Does this make me any less trans?

#1 iamjustababy, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  2. intherye

I hope some other FtM or MtF people reply here because I'm sure their replies will be more valuable than mine. But from what I know, lots of trans people feel little dysphoria and are still trans. Also, feeling happy when people refer to you as a guy ('gender euphoria') proves you're trans just as much as dysphoria does. It also sounds like your dysphoria might be easing because you've started transition, right? Basically you're definitely trans if you want to see yourself as trans and none of this means you're not.

3. iamjustababy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so so much for your reply!

My Dysphoria is definitely calming down now that I'm farther along in my transition, guess I was kinda afraid that because I wasn't experiencing much disphoria, I wasn't trans enough. Silly me haha.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no such thing as less trans or not trans enough.

I have very little dysphoria. I can remember the days that I did, but then I repressed everything trans related about myself. I started feeling some again when I figured out I was transgender. But I do believe that knowing that HRT and top surgery is in my future helps me not feel as much as other trans people (I feel a bit guilty for that). I spend so much time imaging all the good things that will happen that I don't have much time to focus on all the things that aren't wrong.

I hope that helps some. I still believe you are perfectly trans enough. Just wanting puberty blockers and T is kind of a sign of that. I don't think it is exactly normal for cis people to want such things after all

5. iamjustababy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!! I feel soooo much better about it now :slight_smile:

I guess actually having the puberty blocker, and starting on T soon should have reassured me enough.

6. intherye

You're welcome, and now that's sorted I'm glad your dysphoria has lessened! Good luck with your transition :slight_smile:

Also, we have almost matching sexualities so snap :grin:

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have major bodily dysphoria. Social it's pretty big. But no its not required to be dysphoric to be under the trans umbrella.

Simple as that.

8. thepandaboss

I'm kind of dealing with the same thing. For me, my dysphoria comes and goes. There was a stretch of time when I really didn't have a lot of chest dysphoria because I had put on a shit ton of weight and my chest wasn't uber-prominent. My dysphoria's gotten worse lately but I chalk a lot of that up to the fact that I'm getting older, I'm passing less because of being heavy and getting older, and I've had to delay going on T for a while (up until now!)

But I think what you're experiencing is definitely normal and though I'm really just going off anecdotal observations here, I'm going to bet that this is actually the case for most trans people. As you transition (whether you medically transition or not), you're coming out of the closet, you're living as yourself. If you medically transition, your body's changing so it better resembles how you mentally perceive it. So makes a lot of sense.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the person, I think. You have those who from an early age absolutely cannot and will not settle for anything less than transition. Chalk it up to awareness, increased acceptance, or biology.

I know that before puberty, I saw no use for my genitals. They were in the way. They looked funny. I wanted them gone. It also miffed me when my mother told me I couldn't style my hair a certain way, because "it was for girls".

After my voice cracked and got deeper, it felt like I lost something special.

Socially, I'm happiest when someone doesn't know my gender, or it doesn't matter to them. I hate being forced into a male role, and this extends to the bedroom. No penetration from me.

The thing stopping me from going out in public how I'd like is living in a small conservative town, where everyone knows me. Small steps, right? I'm undecided on the whole HRT thing.

10. iamjustababy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate it <3

11. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would think that if you experience less dysphoria as you get further into transition, that should be a good indicator that you have made the right decision!

12. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really normal for dysphoria to go down as you make progress in your transition. In fact, it's a sign that the changes you're making are helping! It doesn't make you less trans.