1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical Symptoms of Depression?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kodo, May 11, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately I have been feeling light-headed, have had lessened appetite or felt queasy after eating, always fatigued, and sometimes have headaches/body aches. Also, I have a slight tremor in my hands.

All these are "minor" and tend to occur during depressive episodes, but can be draining when all happening together. Is this normal for depression (which I have been diagnosed with)? It didn't use to happen. I am not on any medication but am undergoing therapy and doing lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, sleep, etc) for it.

Not sure what to do. I would and may go to the doctor if it worsens, but I don't have insurance so I'd rather weight my other options first.

Any advice or experience for how to deal with what are seemingly physical symptoms of depression?

Thanks in advance.

2. gryf

That's normal.

Depression is freaking draining. Makes you tired, made headaches worse fur new, I ached more often, and that light headed feeling may be a panic attack (same with the nausea and lack of appetite).

I've had all that before.

You aren't alone. Meds can help. Therapy definitely will help in the long run.

#2 gryf, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. yeehaw

That sounds like normal stuff for someone who is depressed and anxious. Anxiety often travels with depression--maybe you are pretty anxious too? You didn't mention anxiety specifically, but the hand tremor thing pretty much always happens to me when I'm anxious-- feeling light headed and nauseated are really common forms of anxiety too. It might help to talk to your therapist about the physical symptoms. Long ago my therapist taught me some relaxation techniques that I still use to mangage anxiety--or to at least make it a little less miserable. You could also go to you tube or Google and search for relaxation techniques, body scan, guided meditation, deep breathing, imagery--things like that--try some things out--see if any resonate for you.

4. gryf

I agree with yeehaw. Relaxation techniques as he describes are very helpful