1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I need to tell her now

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nickw, May 11, 2016.

1. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, things are coming to a head with my wife and I think I need to come out to her in the next couple of weeks. She asked me the other night if she was still on "probation". A couple months ago I told her that I was in therapy and one of the issues was our low levels of intimacy. I had told her we needed to work on our marriage and I would some day have a real conversation about everything.

She has concluded that I am considering leaving her and is blaming herself. I put her off again by telling her that I loved her, was not planning on leaving and that we needed to have a good long talk soon.

The real issue is that I have not disclosed my bisexuality and how I almost cheated on her a couple times with hookups. I needed to get my shit together, and a health issue resolved, before I disclosed all that.

I feel terrible that she is taking all of the responsibility for our problems because I have not been honest. But, now I am terrified, again, about how she will take the news. IF she doesn't already know.

I feel like I am in a fog. Like I will be telling her something I made up in my mind...I am not really bi...just confused. I will come out to something that is not really me and have to wear it with her the rest of my life.

I know this isn't true (I did almost hook up with another guy...that's sort of a clue!). It's just that it would be so easy to tell her, and myself, that I was just anxious over my health and now everything is O.K. and go back deep in the closet and stay married for another 30 years. After all, life was pretty good on the low end of the Kinsey scale. Looking back, it seems more appealing than looking ahead.

Just putting this out there. No real advice needed.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like your at the precipice, time to go over the edge.

Also, no need to even discuss an "almost" hookup. Almost is not the same as "doing".

3. CameOutSwinging

The hardest part about it for her, I'm betting, is that you keep saying you have to talk soon. It sounds like impending doom (there was that Seinfeld episode once where George avoided his girlfriend so she couldn't break up with him, because she said we need to talk, and "nobody NEEDS to talk.") so in a way you've already started this ball rolling. I'm guessing part of you really wants to tell her anyway. There's no way of telling what may happen once she knows, but being able to talk to her about something that you're going through would likely mean a lot to you.

4. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OTH

I have wondered if I should just leave out the whole CL thing...my therapist agrees with you. She is freakish about disease potential and that may be all she hears. But, I am worried about not telling her everything because there is a pretty good chance she will out right ask if there is anything I am not telling her. She does know about a couple of other near misses...another guy and two other women in the past year. But, those were sort of "clean" things...not "dirty" deception with internet pervs. She likes the guy that propositioned me so she has sort of enjoyed it. I could just say I really wanted to do him too and see if she might get distracted!

If I could NOT tell her about the CL thing this would be so much easier.

COS

I think the intimacy problems we have been having are largely due to her. But, there is a part of it that could be due to me holding back on part of myself and that is preventing us from sharing as deeply as we could. I love the Seinfeld analogy too. I have done that to her.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All you need to say is you found another guy interesting, but it did not come to anything. But that helped you confirm the confusions you were having about your sexuality. Your overthinking it.

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OTH

Good idea. She will likely be more upset with why I have not been upfront about my orientation for so long anyway (I did tell her while we dated but did not reinforce it). I will just say that I became really interested in acting on my desires and that is why I freaked out (sort of the truth). She may not want the details.

Thanks...I am feeling more comfortable. You're right that I have to jump. Playing "what if" scenarios in my head is not productive.

7. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck Nick, hope it goes well! I know how nerve wracking it can be. I agree with OTH, maybe you don't need to go into details about the CL thing, maybe it is enough to say you found a guy interesting and you thought about it.

I think it's best just to go for it - I know I always feel so much better when I am able to be really honest about how I feel. It has obviously been playing on your mind.

I think I was pretty drunk when I first told my husband I was Bi and that I'd previously had a relationship with a woman. He took it quite well though and we have talked about it lots since.

Hopefully as you told her when you were dating it won't come as a complete surprise. Perhaps she will also open up to you about her intamcy problems. Let us know how it goes!

8. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She will be relieved when you tell her. Her worries right now are so much worse than this.

You are bisexual, my friend. You don't have to be out beyond her if you don't want to be, but you really should tell her. From all we've discussed, I think she will be good with it, and it can't be worse than what she is feeling right now.

I agree with the others on the advice re: the CL temptation. Your main focus should be on telling her your true orientation and your continuing love for, and commitment to, her.

I wish you strength to tell her, and hope you achieve a new level of happiness and intimacy. Man, it has been great for me and my wife. Good luck!

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nick,

I agree that it's better to come out sooner than to let her worry and anticipate the nature of the news.

I'm concerned about how this will play out, so I suggest that you really think this through and prepare a script for coming out and responding to her potential questions.

You're in a marriage where there's less intimacy with your wife than you'd like. Then you come out as bisexual. So I think it would be very natural for her to wonder if you are disclosing this now because you want to sleep with other guys. I would certainly prepare a point of view on this in response.

What do you want to happen with the marriage? If you want to stay married and monogamous, what is your plan for getting the level of intimacy getting to where it needs to be?

I'm going to go against the room on the CL thing. Here's my take. If you want to stay married, then you should tell her. If you don't want to stay married, then you don't need to tell her.

Coming out is about having no more secrets. Unless you disclose the CL thing, you're going to have a secret with your wife. So I would share that with her but spin it in a positive light (that you stopped yourself short of action because you value the marriage and you're coming out now because you don't want any more secrets in the marriage).

If you don't plan on staying married, then the almost hooked up with a guy is less relevant because you won't have an ongoing romantic relationship with your wife and this secret won't be hanging over your head.

#9 SiennaFire, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  10. AndyG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This really stood out for me. I am inching closer to "the talk" with my wife. Under the plus column, after the dust settles and raw emotion gives way to coping, is the relief that will hopefully come to her in finally understanding that my lack of intimacy, my depression, etc. is not her fault.

Good luck.

11. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Dirtyshirt, Adray and Siennafire

I still go back and forth on the disclosure of what I have done. I think I am going to just let her ask for details if she wants them. I am not sure she will. When I told her about my concerns about our intimacy issues a couple months ago I told her I had been seduced by three people in the last year and none were my wife. She did not even ask for details. I told her about them a few days later in detail at my option. So, maybe I won't have to lie about CL. My wife is almost paranoid about internet privacy stuff and she will just hate that I "met" someone online. She would be less concerned if I drilled a guy I met on a bike ride (oops...fantasy here) than discussing a meetup online. If it were any other venue...

SF. Your concerns about me telling her my orientation while I am "negotiating" intimacy has been why I have not told her sooner. I do not want this to be a threat...sleep with me or I'll sleep with him. It is a risk I have to take because she admitted being so worried right now and I feel like I cannot string her along. I cannot not tell her either. The lack of intimacy has fired up my same sex desires. There is no question, in my mind, that the two are related. At least I also had opposite sex "almost" encounters during the same time.

She will, certainly, ask if I want a boyfriend and how that would work. So, I should have an answer ready...except I don't know if I want that anymore. My wife does not respond well to the "scripted" response. It worked terribly when I discussed our intimacy issues before and my therapist warned me not to do it again.

Oh man, I wish I would have had the balls 30 years ago! Where is the damn closet!

---------- Post added 11th May 2016 at 03:44 PM ----------

Andy

How long have you been married? Any kids?
    Are you looking at staying in the marriage?

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was my experience and the experience of many others on the Later in Life forum, though clearly you and I fall on different parts of the Kinsey scale.

I still would encourage you to find a way to wrap everything up into a cohesive message. If you love your wife and want to stay married, how do you get past the dry spell which is clearly sparking your bisexual desires? This is an important cycle that needs to be addressed in a way that's constructive and not seen as an ultimatum. I'm not clear what you want Nick, though I'm not following EC as closely as I used to. That is, how much intimacy is required for you to be happy and fulfilled in your marriage? If that's not possible, what are your contingencies?

13. AndyG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One amazing wife for 24 years and 2 kids now in college .... I started therapy 1 year ago with the intention of learning how to cope with being attracted to men and staying married. The thought of coming out was nightmare-ish to say the least. I wanted to throw up every time the therapist used the word "Gay" in relation to me. :slight_smile:

A year later I can see the only path to real happiness for anyone is me telling her what's really been wrong all this time. Why we haven't been intimate, etc. While actually hearing it come out of my mouth won't be a total shock, I know the confirmation from me will be very hard for her. As to where I expect us to go from there I really don't know. We are together for life because of the kids, and we are the closest of friends.

The talk may be as soon as next week, so we shall see shortly.

Unless the thought of saying it out loud ACTUALLY kills me!

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It has more to do with the quality of the intimacy and the recognition that she finds me sexually desirable and that I can satisfy her or even that she wants me to satisfy her. She has not initiated sex in 15 years. So, she needs to want me. It is not, really, a numbers thing.

My hope is that my bisexuality sparks some interest on her part. She is turned on (as much as she gets these days) by male male sex in films or when I "make out" with a friend...as a joke. She also describes hot guys on her swim team to me. So, I may have some material to work with that would improve our play time and maybe that's what we need.

Next week I meet a new friend of hers. A guy that was widowed at 70 something and then came out as gay. Odd timing!

You asked about a contingency plan. I don't have one! I am winging this! Our marriage will survive, in some manner, no matter what happens because I would never abandon her. I don't want to...that's authentic me!

---------- Post added 11th May 2016 at 06:13 PM ----------

I know the feeling about dying in the act of coming out. I started worrying yesterday and had to hit the gym and the pool all evening (raining too hard to pedal my frustrations away). I could hardly move this morning!

I made a date the weekend after next to "talk". So, my deadline looms. Your therapist calls you "gay" and I cannot even get mine to label me as "bi"...the closest is "bicurious" because I have never acted on it except a little bit as kid.

My wife loves the gay guy comes out and stays married as friends for life story. But, she sees the wife as not needing sex so what does it matter if her husband is gay! It is a different story for each of us! If only I didn't want sex with my wife most of all!

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While that's a noble sentiment, you aren't respecting the lack of intimacy for what it is, namely, a forcing function to get real about your sexuality. Hopefully coming out as bisexual will provide a spark to your marriage. If not and you still cannot find the intimacy you need with your wife, the problem isn't going to magically disappear, so you'll need to start considering the options you don't want to consider.

16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I probably should have made it clearer. I have no intention, at this point in my life, with not having some outlet and openness for my sexuality. I know it would explode again if I am not getting the emotional and sexual intimacy that I need.

My wife is wonderful except for this thing. Really, every other aspect of our lives is like a fantasy come true for me. My fear is that she and I cannot become sexually intimate again...not that we will not stay married as friends. Leaving her is not an option. It is not financial...we are independent financially and each have our own house. She needs me...I take care of her.

If she cannot fulfill my sexual needs, I am pretty sure she will allow me to find it elsewhere while remaining married. It may be with men, rather than women, because that may be more acceptable to her. She will not deny me this, but she may not allow me any sexual contact with her if I go that route. I am bi. So, this might not work.

It is just that I want her more, much more, than some dude I haven't even met. My fear is that her knowing my sexual orientation will make that less likely. My hope is that it will bring us closer together. Had I not started to search out hookups it would be a different story. Although that was my watershed moment.

#16 Nickw, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  17. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you progress on your journey, please reread post #16 on occasion.

I'm getting the sense you are trying to convince yourself that everything is wonderful. While there's a part of me that wants to dissect post #16, you need to do it yourself when you are ready.

18. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I get where you are going with this and I have certainly considered if I can be completely satisfied without exploring my same sex desires. I am sure I will not be satisfied. That is a given I guess. But, this is the plight of being bisexual I suppose. I will never be completely satisfied in any monogamous relationship and yet I am monogamous.

I need to build on what I have and not try and start over. The only way is to be honest and hope I can find an answer with my wife. She is really trying to be closer and things have gotten so much better already.

Thanks Siennafire

Will it be enough? We'll see. But, the first person to know if it isn't will be my wife this time.

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope this works out for you. Otherwise you may need to start over.

You say that you need sexual and emotional intimacy. Your life is otherwise wonderful because you have a great friendship and material things with your wife. I suspect there's a piece missing regarding why you won't divorce. I'm guessing it's private. FWIW, having separate houses doesn't seem conducive to intimacy. There may be a good reason but at first glance I wonder why 2 houses.

Once you open the marriage, the question becomes are you emotionally available for more than physical sex? If not, then the emotional intimacy part of your sexual needs will not be met. If you are emotionally available, your situation becomes more complicated. If you are dating another person who is not your wife, exactly what is your wife's role to your happiness? You may need to consider divorce or embrace polyamory.

My thought process was agnostic regarding same or opposite sex partner and you'll need to do the right thing based on your Kinsey score.

#19 SiennaFire, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  20. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My wife's entire life is built around me. I am outgoing and make friends easily. My wife does not. Her entire family is held together because I have relationships with each and they are estranged from each other. That's the practical reason. The emotional reason is that I have never met another person like my wife. We have both been extreme athletes and are in exceptional condition for our ages. We spend hours a week doing some amazing outdoor activities..some pretty dangerous.

So we have a different type of bond than most other couples...very hard to explain...but, I could never find that with someone else..I would give up sex if that was the choice...it might be.

We have two houses because we work in two different towns three days a week. We each would work 40 hours in three days so we had 4 day weekends to spend doing our sports.

We are a pretty atypical couple so a lot of the usual relationship metrics don't apply.