1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im 40 dating an 18 year old guy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ashanti, May 11, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

I'll say this, if you keep it as just FWB and he wants more, it could end sooner than you might think. 18 year olds have a unique ability to get over stuff quickly, so he might feel heartbroken by you not wanting to be more than FWB, and he could end up moving on and finding somebody else quickly.

I don't think there's anything wrong with casually dating him. You don't have to get married, but you can be committed to each other and just let things happen as they may. If that's what you want, anyway.

2. blightedsight

Oh poppycock.

You might as well argue that a 30 year old isn't emotionally mature enough to be with someone over 40 because they're going to have had different life experiences so aren't "emotionally mature" enough to deal with it.
    Or that a person who hasn't been in a relationship at all, regardless of age, shouldn't be in a relationship with someone who has, because they've not had the experiences to be "emotionally mature".

Sure, an 18 year old is likely to have a different mentality and idea of what they want compared to someone older, but the "emotionally mature" argument really is just a vain attempt to justify ageism and conform to social ideals of what people should and shouldn't be doing.

It's also a way for older people to patronise those that are younger to make them feel like they've "grown up".

As I say, if an 18 year old is perfectly capable of being used in state sanctioned killing, then they're more than capable to have a romantic liaison with someone older.

3. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Hey , thanks for your positive response,
    I felt i was doing wrong dating an 18 year old, He contacted me first on *****, it was not myself who initiated contact, also i have my age displayed on my Skout profile so he knew i was 40 before getting in touch with me.
    Awesome!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, OnTheHighway is correct, and you're the one full of poppycock. This isn't even a disputed issue; the social adjustment, power dynamics, and other developmental issues of an 18 year old and a 30 year old are completely different. One is barely an adult, likely with few independent life experiences or decision making experience, and, in many ways, an adult in name only; the other has likely lived on his own, had many independent choices, made plenty of mistakes, and so the power dynamics are completely different and far more balanced. Again, to argue otherwise is to justify taking advantage of someone, plain and simple. But this isn't a discussion of reason; it's a rationalization.

Again, the relationship itself isn't the main issue; it is the complex interaction of the relationship and other life-competency skills that an 18 year old is unlikely to have mastered. The inherent power imbalances and, particularly in this case described by the OP, the fact that the 18 year old isn't seeking a healthy relationship but is in fact more likely after a codependent caretaking relationship (though he probably doesn't realize that) makes it a really bad idea. This has almost nothing to do with simply not having been in a relationship.

That's just... bullshit.

Again, bullshit. On the contrary, it's about acknowledging exactly where the younger person is, respecting that, and focusing on the healthy emotional needs of both people rather than the older person opportunistically taking advantage of the other.

There's simply no way to justify this as a healthy endeavor. You can rationalize it all you want, but healthy? Nope.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because he contacted you first doesn't make it healthy or appropriate. Would you have the same response if the kid was 15? Probably not. There isn't a magical, invisible line that when someone crosses it, they are suddenly responsible and mature. An 18 year old seeking out a 40 year old is not emotionally healthy, and is not looking for an emotionally healthy relationship.

For that matter... an emotionally healthy 40 year old is not going to want to date someone young enough to be his child. Seeking a romantic relationship with an 18 year old, regardless of who initiates it, is not indicative of healthy patterns toward relationships; it reeks of power and control, and those factors are there regardless of how much you have conscious awareness of them and attempt to address them.

Is this really prevalent in the gay community? Yes. Is it healthy? No. So it's really up to you whether you continue perpetuating the pattern of unhealthy behavior in the community or work on helping people understand what healthy, emotionally balanced relationships look like, and modeling that behavior.

7. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks Chip!

You are right, i'll just tell him we could be friends & nothing more,

Also I'm not really dating him "officially" just seeing each other now and again.

I've mentioned to him that i am far to old for him and old enough to be his dad but he seemed to brush that off and not care. now he's texting me to call him.....

I've learnt a lesson here which won't happen again.

Thanks everyone for your support!

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  9. blightedsight

Well quite - he knows his own mind.

As long as you feel good and you talk to him about what he wants, just as you would in ANY relationship, you go for it and have fun.

I mean, again, as with ANY relationship, if you start to think you're taking advantage of them, then you must reassess your situation, but that is age irrelevent.

---------- Post added 12th May 2016 at 05:11 AM ----------

What utter drivel.

Implying a member is a rapist. Good call, administrator.

10. AndyG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Blighted... Really inappropriate, immature, and offensive comment by you. Hope you calm down and reconsider the hyperbole.

I may not have completely disagreed with you and was going to add to the discussion, but there's no point when you're this out of line.

11. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey thanks!
    I'll keep it going and see how it goes

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! Go for it! There will always be someone like me to pick up the pieces if it doesn't work out (note. Sarcasm. You seem to only be able to read things you want to read).

Look. He is an adult, you are an adult. It is not my place to judge this. But, I have known young people (men and women) who are scarred by these sorts of relationships. So, please do not hurt him. Please.

There is some truth to blightedsights posts. Age does not guarantee maturity. And youth does not mean immaturity. But, the odds are that at his age he is not ready for a relationship (sex is a relationship) with someone so much older. He could be the exception. But, how would you know this meeting on a dating site?

13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your opinions seem to change on a whim. Do you really decide what to do on the basis of one post (informed or uninformed?) If so, that potentially points to another issue.

With the exception of basically one poster (whose response, I think, confirms my concerns), you've got pretty unanimous advice as to what is likely the best choice. At the end of the day, you have to make your own decision, and you also have to live with the potential consequences and harm of that decision.

What you do is up to you, all I ask is that you think carefully and act with the responsibility and integrity that I hope a 40 year old would have in these circumstances.

14. YeahpIdk

Lol, you're easily swayed, OP.

What does it matter what anyone on here says? I guess you did come for advice, but as Nickw points out, seems like you're only listening to what you want to hear - which is fine. Is a 40 year old dating and having sex with an 18 year old appropriate? No, not really. Actually, it's pretty gross. It's legal, but does it seem logical or rational? I mean, not really... what do you two have in common besides wanting to screw someone in an age range that's impressive to the both of you, but for opposite reasons?

Young people date old people all the time, usually for some kind of gain. I don't know how much this kid will be harmed by having a relationship with someone so much older than him, but you should maybe think of yourself in this situation, too. Are you looking for a loving, long term relationship with someone you can share your life with, or just hoping to have fun? If you are looking for something serious, you're wasting your time on a child when you could be looking for the right person. I can't imagine you're taking this relationship very seriously. Coming on here and getting opinions, and then flipping back and forth based on what others say to do, speaks of your attitude toward this person. And maybe that's a reason why you shouldn't be screwing around with an 18 year old, because you're not truly taking this person and their baggage into consideration, and that could mean that you won't be ready for the emotional storm that may come your way; no one who's all there wants to date someone over twenty years their senior. Like others have said, he's probably wanting a father figure, and who knows what else. People are manipulative. But who knows. Maybe not.

15. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow so many opinions,

I'm just going to try this out, Never had it happen to me everyone's different, I've told they guy many times that it would not work out as our age gap is way to far apart,
    He's mentioned he dose not care and just wants to go with the flow, so the flow it is!

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So in other words, you don't give a crap about the fact that you'll likely significantly harm him with an unhealthy, codependent relationship.

There really aren't "so many opinions". There's the nearly universal opinion of everyone who has posted in the thread... and basically one person who is telling you to completely ignore all the data and advice that everyone else is giving you.

Why did you even bother posting if you weren't going to listen to what the majority has to say? Were you simply looking for justification/rationalization?

And do you really think that asking a psychologically damaged 18 year old who clearly has unresolved issues with father figures whether he thinks it's a good idea is the way to get a good handle on what to do?

Really... it seems you weren't looking for advice. So go and do what you were going to do anyway, and just know that what you're doing isn't responsible, ethical, or helpful to anyone except you and your libido. Congratulations.

17. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think somebody has a Chip on their shoulder

(!!)

#37 Robert, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  18. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am just asking what people think, I've spoken to this guy about all this, shown him the opinions here on EC also asked a few of my friends and they all have said do what ever.
    I've also told him that it's not healthy going with someone twice his age even though it's legal and his response was "i like older men as they are not teen hoons which turn him off" he's been with guys his age and did not like it as most of them were users and time wasters. I've told him now after all this that we can be mates but that's it and hes ok with it but wanted FWB status.
    I told him to look for some one no more than 7 years above his age, that i can support him in his decision making but nothing more.

19. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what, Chip? There are actually many people, not just Blightedsight, who disagree with you on this. They've just been bullied in to submission by your predictable narrowsighted vitriol. So, dont try and make out that Blightedsight stands alone on this.

You talk about power imbalance... but in many relationships there are power imbalances... it doesnt mean that the person with the most money or the most experience, by default, is taking advantage of the other person. You also said that this 18 year old sounds particularly vulnerable... But I havent seen any evidence of that. I understand where you're coming from when it comes to vulnerable people. And OBVIOUSLY if someone is particularly vulnerable then they shouldnt be taken advantage of but you know almost nothing about either of the 2 people involved. You havent asked any questions of the OP about anything, you've just come to a judgement on a situation which you have imagined in your own head.
    You are judging this situation on age alone and you are letting your own past get in the way of your judgement.

And, yes, you have basically accused someone of being a rapist and its not actually the first time that you have accused someone of this sort of thing on this forum.

#39 Robert, May 13, 2016
  20. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, if a professional therapist, with the background, experience, research and history deeper to understand this dynamic reflects professional views with the perspective of both the younger individual and older individual in such a dynamic, those views should be respected. And I think it is also understandable how both sides might get a bit expressive in their emotions given the sensitivity of the subject at hand. (and as anyone whom has visited with a very good therapist knows, its the job of the therapist to challenge the patient and sometimes that challenge can come across as being extreme, but thats their job).

That said, the attraction to younger guys by older guys is pretty obvious - youth. The perception of youth is powerful. For some older guys, its the perceived loss of youth, maybe the perception that their youth has somehow been stolen from them and they never had a youth, a potential feeling of inferiority, etc. etc. From my perspective, being with a younger individual (and as I am thinking about this, its clear this is not just an LGBT issue, but a heteronormative issue as well), helps an older individual placate their insecurities and somehow allows them to recapture what they feel is otherwise missing.

For the younger individual, whom might not have had a proper parental figure that provided a loving and emotionally positive environment, being with someone older helps them find a perceived emotional parental figure that they otherwise felt they have lost. In the case of the LGBT community, the inherent homophobic views of society might have actually help create this impression whether real or perceived; which is why its seems more prevalent.

After I came out, I had a lot of the same insecurities of an older individual. When I was younger, I also had similar insecurities of a younger individual. I have seen both sides of the coin.

When I was an adolescent, while I thought I knew what I was doing, and I aggressively chased an older guy and manipulated him into sleeping with me, I thought I had everything under control and new exactly what I was doing. And I also thought I could handle it. The scars of which only showed themselves many years later.

As an adult, looking to re establish my youth after coming out, I focused on meeting a lot of younger guys (all of legal age). And as many of you whom have followed my journey over the years know, I did not hold back meeting people. It was very clear to me to see in those younger guys exactly what I saw in myself. In fact, it was so easy for me to just sit back and have these individuals be proactive with me. Now, I can also say that some of them were mature and seemed to have a very strong emotional foundation (My partner was 26 when we met, we are engaged now; and sure he was well past his adolescent stage at this point), but moreso than not, my perception was that a lot of these individuals were trying to fulfill an emotional hole.

I will say, I never got more involved with any of the younger (I will use the range of 19-24) guys than having a hookup or two; I was not interested in pursuing relationships with them. Where I have had two intimate relationships since coming out - one was with a 35 year old, and the other with my partner whom is now 28. Clearly they are both still quite younger than me, but in both those instances, the individuals have had broader life experiences, have faced challenges and enjoyed some accomplishments, such that, from my perspective, they have a mature foundation in order to develop with someone on a more mature and intimate basis.

But even then, with the age gap present with my relationships (as compared to hookups), challenges exist. Debates arise and differences of opinion due to age and mature present themselves. In those cases, it is important for the more mature partner to have patience and recognize those situations for what they are. Either that, or find someone older to have a relationship with.

I personally and not being judgmental here. As I stated in a prior post, proceed with caution. It is up to each individual to decide what that means.

#40 OnTheHighway, May 13, 2016