1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wolfwing, May 9, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

Hello, recently I admitted to myself that I am bisexual. Though, I'm not quite how to approach telling my family and the only person who knows is an online friend I have. I was going to text my sister about it earlier, but I got too nervous when I began writing the message and I ended up just deleting what I had wrote. I'm planning on coming out to her soon, though I'm not too sure how to approach this, how to bring it up, or how she'll react. If anyone can offer me advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure when or if I should come out to my dad and stepmom who are both christians and might have a negative response.

#1 Wolfwing, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. jacotime45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    unfortunately i haveno advice but im having the same problem right now

3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait until you feel comfortable to come out. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, there's no reason to rush. If you want to gage your parent's reaction, maybe bring up LGBTQ+ topics and see how they react?

4. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your sister older than you or younger? Do you think she will be able to keep it to herself? I presume you do as you have decided to tell her and I think you're right to discuss it in person, not by text. Sending a text may be a little bit easier but it brings so many more unknowns. What if she doesn't reply, what if she thinks it's a joke etc?
    If you're sure you can trust your sister, consider telling her when you have time to talk further about it. Try to arrange to do it in a place that feels safe and you won't be interrupted.

You say that your parents are Christians and that is causing you to question whether they will accept you. Do you think they will do anything to harm you if you come out to them? In other words are they just average Christians that will pray for you or extremist Christians that may kick you out, abuse you or try and have you 'cured'?
    It's important to consider this because it would be a big risk if you may be harmed.

5. Wolfwing

Hello and I was able to come out my sister and she promised to keep it a secret. My parents aren't extremists, though they aren't really open on their views on LGBT people. So, the problem I have with coming out to them is I don't know if they'll accept it and I fear that it might mess up the relationship I have with them.

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your parents are reasonable in their beliefs then they will just need a good reason to accept it. If you can show them that you are truly happy with yourself and your sexuality and that it will bring something positive to your life then it will be easier for them to accept.
    You don't want to mess up your relationship with them and I understand that but shouldn't it be a relationship built on trust, honesty, openness and understanding?
    Now might not be the right time so there is no rush but you are concerned with this issue of being open with you parents now and if you do nothing then you will still have the same concerns in a year, ten years, twenty years and eventually when it's finally too late.

Great news about your sister being supportive. I hope it has helped to take some pressure off, now that you have been able to share it.