1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joking about being Transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by h4zey, May 9, 2016.

1. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Have any of u ever joked about being Transgender in a way to get rid of the dysphoria and depression? Basically trying to make it seem like the stuff it not a big deal? :confused:

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is pretty much what I do about anything serious in my life. Its why some things I say aren't taken seriously. Yet, funny enough, if I'm sick and start trying to joke about everyone gets serious because I only make jokes about my health when I am 100% scared shitless.

3. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah that is me too and I'm also VERY insecure.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if I'm trans or not, but I make fun of my gender a lot. I'm quite androgynous, so those jokes are quite funny :grin: Sometimes the situations are ridiculous.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh definitely. You have to. I've always done it about my ethnicity, its kind of like a defense mechanism because if you make the jokes first then other people can't and it'll hurt less. You have to be careful that you don't come off as transphobic though because I got to a point where I was making so many jokes about my race that I was seeming racist abd it got kind of awkward.

Joking about dysphoria I don't think I do much, making jokes about binding, body hair, etc. I do with a select few friends but letting other people know about my insecurities just makes me feel more insecure and vulnerable.

6. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Irisviel

I would actually be quite interested to hear some non offensive fun poked at trans folks. The only thing that comes to my mind is uppercaseCHASE's video called "sh*t trans guys say".

"Priscilla the queen of the desert is also making fun of gender, although only one of the characters is 100% trans... rest is probably just drag queens/crosdressers.

I often wonder myself if there are any fun ways to joke about our "condition" without its being offensive.

8. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ironically this is who I was talking about haha! I love him though he's really cool and hilarious but yeah... I like the video cuz he makes things a bit more light hearted and not as depressing :lol:

9. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, it being a bit offensive can help me deal w/ it sometimes, as an offensive joke can usually mock a variety of issues where a PC joke can only mock a few and usually in a less satisfying way--to each their own, though, that wasn't criticism.:kiss:

10. ArtemisStrange

I joke about it a lot more often than I expected, and it usually surprises me. Unfortunately, it often hurts my feelings as well in some bizarre/sad twist.

11. Irisviel

Anything can be poked fun at. I've seen a stand up comedian doing a gig based around his SM condition, literally making fun of his own being disabled and funny situations that happen.
    I know a blind person personally who likes to make it funny sometimes.

I'm sure there are black people making fun of blackness, too. Point is... all jokes need to have one common trait which I hope I can explain below.

That is... you can't make the subject matter funny in itself. The pun can't be that someone is trans - pun needs to be about funny situations that accompany one's being transgender.

Like, you can laugh at tucking, bunding, everything that can be funny/amusing/ironic - but, not just putting a transgender person and expect the very fact of their presence in a joke to be funny; making minority a clown is offensive.

I guess you can search that guy who made stand up comedy about his own stammer problem. That's basically what I mean as a good natured joke aimed at something not inherently funny to the affected person.

12. the haunted

Yes. I'm a chronic joker and I annoy everyone with it. My girlfriend gets onto me about saying offensive things while I joke. It helps me be resilient to others.