1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally skinny, but can I become beefy?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheHesitantAlien, May 7, 2016.

1. TheHesitantAlien

Hey all!

Naturally, I'm skinny and weedy (and, to be honest, I don't do anything to help that out! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), but I would like to eventually become beefier/bulkier/stockier. I don't want to be ripped like a body builder, I would just like a bulkier shape/frame to me (dammit, I just want to be a cub/bear!) Is this really possible for me, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions, support and guidance?

Cheers everyone, stay cool. :slight_smile:

2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're still young so your body shape and size can change a lot over the next few years. You can work towards increasing your muscle mass with exercise but you should get professional advice on this to make sure it's going to give you the results you want.
    As for becoming a bear, you can't change the frame of your body and as far as I know there's no way to become hairy if you're not already.
    Look into some exercise plans or gym training etc and keep yourself healthy but most importantly, try and be happy with who you already are.

3. DoctorSir

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm the same way! I've been consuming a lot of protein and muscle building exercising at home. I have to target my arms, chest, and rear end to bulk up b/c my body is a little awkward

4. gryf

To offer an alternative. Be content with being thin.
    I really like thin guys. I know others do also.
    Just as long as you're healthy and not underweight.

5. TheHesitantAlien

Cheers for all your help guys. It's not really about body-positivity, more just trying to better myself while my body's in the state where I can actually do something about it! I have the issue of being attracted to masculine, beefy, hairy guys, but also wanting to be a masculine, beefy, hairy guy (despite currently not being the latter two). I don't want to be 'type-cast' as the "twink with the daddy" (no offense if that's your thing; I don't have anything at all against it, I just don't find it attractive) or the "chaser". Cheers for the help anyway, though! :slight_smile:

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if it's any help, I used to be really slim as a teenager, blow away in the wind thin. As I got into my 20s I bulked up a bit. I hated being thin. I've never been bigger enough to be a bear or a cub but I would say an otter. I have lost a lot of weight recently in fat and started putting muscle back on to 'bulk up' in a healthier way. It is possible to do at any stage in your adult life but it's easier when your body and mind are working with you.
    Also I have a hairy body, which increased with age slightly. Regardless of any crazy internet claims, there is no known way to become more hairy besides maybe some kind of medication. If you do find a way though (especially if it works on the head) you will become rich beyond your wildest dreams. :eusa_danc

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Eat, eat, eat, train, train, train, eat, eat, eat.

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Natural skinniness/fatness is pretty much a myth. All weight gain takes in consuming more calories than you burn. Don't get these calories by junk though, stuff like nuts and certain protein bars are good for this. Lift weights also. You won't look like a bodybuilder unless you're trying to really hard.

9. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Natural skinniness / fatness isn't a myth. There is something called adaptive thermogenesis. Our bodies aren't furnaces. There are clear metabolic and hormonal changes that occur and persist in those who are obese versus those who are thin. There is a body fat set point, probably regulated by epigenetic factors (modifying our DNA), that moves and changes with increased adiposity. The jury is still out if the set point can be moved back once it has been moved forward - undoing epigenetic changes is a hard thing to do. And while the laws of thermodynamics have not changed it's not as simple as calorie in vs calorie out, especially as it relates to body modification and energy economy utilization.

Exercise itself has actually very little to do with weight loss (can help add muscle). It's pretty grim really. Diet is very important but not in ways that most people think. Too much sugar. The extra chemicals in our food, water, and environment also likely playing a significant role.

That is more important to people who are trying to lose weight though. Its also important to recognize that the calories you eat affect the calories you burn. However, if you want to gain wait if you eat alot you will gain weight. Eat alot of protein and lift weight it will be more muscle. However, the natural body type of OP will limit what can be done.

10. TheHesitantAlien

Cheers everyone! This is really interesting and useful stuff! Another question, though: If I were to start working out, is there a minimum age for whey/protein powder. I know to always follow the guidelines etc, but is there a minimum age before I can start using it safely/sensibly?

11. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No

12. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you were serious about starting a specific diet and training routine, it'd be best to talk to your doctor about it (something I have yet to do). I have wide shoulders and a good frame as my trainer has told me.

My nutritionist will also tell me what my diet needs to look like in order to gain muscle and lose fat (that's my goal).

I've seen before and after pictures of skinny guys looking big after, so I'm sure it's possible, but with that said everyone has their limits.

13. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Humans won't go into starvation mode unless one is starved. While some people are predisposed to have a higher metabolism, enjoy a certain type of food more, or like eating more, unless someone has a serious metabolic/digestive issue, anyone can be fat or skinny. Obviously, when a person is obese there's going to be more stuff, and they're going to need more calories than a skinny person would--but those change when weight is lost, as BMR is determined by calories per kilogram.

Chemicals might affect weight loss, a lot of that debate is really pseudoscientific so I kind of avoid it. As for the content of the calories, that's a big factor in health and muscle gain, but not nececssarily fat loss/gain; though they do tend to be more calorically dense, which can cause weight gain. I know exercise isn't a huge factor unless you become super muscular and need a greater number of calories, I just suggested that OP lift weights because it's healthy, and cardio doesn't tend to bulk people up in the way the original poster wanted.

14. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

#14 tyro, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016