1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mood swings shifts orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Loppox, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so here is the deal:

When I am comfortable and happy, I can see myself with a girl and feel very comfortable with that thought and guys, well, I see them as friends. I don't question my orientation and just let it be. If it happens to change, okay then.

But then , suddenly, when I am very tired and/or sad. I begin to question: I am okay with the thought of being with a guy, although I don't know I would be fully satisfied. I am okay with the thought of having sex with a guy, but it does not 'Excite' me.

Or when I am very aroused when thinking about doing things with girls, my mind begins to question, and let's my mind wander: ''What if it was a guy?'' and I start to question and imagining a guy instead of a girl. I guess it would be okay, but I become anxious during (because of the question: what if) and block completely.

here is the cycle: Happy with thought being with a girl - aroused when thinking about sexual stuff with a girl - giving 'attention' to my body - suddenly questioning - sad and down and maybe okay with a guy, maybe should date them, don't know anymore - gradually going back to normal again and going on with my life - Happy and.....

So, does anybody have the same cycle? Or any advice on this?

Have a great day :grin:

Loppox

2. Rhiannon666

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm the opposite actually. When I'm feeling relatively content, I can surely see myself with guys and less with girls, and I don't stress about my attractions as much. When I'm feeling down, I can't picture myself with either gender. I think it comes down to the fact that I feel less bi when I'm happy, so it's probably some internalized homophobia - feeling happier because I feel more 'normal'. Idk but I have anxiety and depression, so I'm sure that influences things, just like my bc pill (when I'm off it, it's much easier to get aroused). So yeah, you're definitely not alone in this.

3. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think this has less to do with your actual sexual orientation and more to do with it being a symptom of something else. For example -- and this is just a theory -- it could be that you're (unconsciously) suffering from internalized homophobia which is more present when you're in one of your "lower" moods and (the shame) makes you temporarily "turned off" to the same-sex and feel more comfortable with the idea of being with a guy because the thought of it reduces the internalized homophobia and shame.
    I know that I, myself, experienced something similar when realizing that I was a lesbian.

4. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yah I think it has to do with internalized homophobia. I mean when I am in a low mood, I start questioning again and become anxious about labels and sexuality and what not. I try to get control on it, to get some grip.

I am ashamed of the fact that I am not straight. I feel like I am ''choosing'' to be gay and that I am consciously pushing guys away. All these thoughts emerge when I am alone.

My surroudings are not at all helpfull with this: I know some people who just came out for attention, like a ''haha just kidding not gay''. Or they are extremely religious and degrade my essence of being; Being gay means ur sick in the head. They make me feel less of a woman.

and of course this quotation is nagging everyone:

''It's just a phase honey''

When I am down this phrase seems to get a hold of me: it MUST be a phase, you thought you were straight, you have not always known.

I cling to the past.

When I am happy or upbeat I don't give a damn, not even about labels: Just let it be, but when I am down I need some sort of control.

Thanks for answering :grin:

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2016 at 12:43 PM ----------

That is very interesting.
    I think pills, like you said, are an influencing factor regarding your libido and/or arousal.

Glad we are not alone in this :grin:

5. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, I can relate a lot to what you said just now. Acceptance definitely takes time and the internalized homophobia won't go away overnight so I also get stuck in the mindset sometimes that you described where you just think that there must be something wrong with you for being gay and that it can't be a truly logical part of you so maybe you're "tricking" yourself into thinking you're gay. At the same time it doesn't make any sense that you would *choose* this and the deep-seated shame is proof of that as it literally contradicts any desire to be gay. It's all just part of the mind games that the shame plays on you.

I just want you to know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you for liking girls and there is nothing shameful about you. You may not believe it right now, but I do.

Is there anything that can make you feel better about liking girls? If so, maybe you could make use of that whenever you're feeling bad about it just to see if it can help pick you up. It seems like you're on the right path to accepting yourself, though, since you said you already have times when you don't care about it :slight_smile:

6. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am so glad I am not the only one :grin:. It's just, man, I can relate to this on an extreme level. Everything you said.

Oh uh, I don't know what can make me feel better about liking girls. Because what happens is the following:

''Oh my girls are so gorgeous and I wow, damn, I can totally see myself with a woman and I would be so proud an- wait a damn second, what if I fall for a man?''

I do not allow myself to fantasize about women anymore, because of the doubt. I fantasize and then suddenly I block with doubt, become sad and/or low and start questioning again. I am not allowing myself, because what if I am wrong. What if I have been lying to myself, my shame will become so much intenser. Y'know, kinda like you look back on your teenage years and you regret that you looked like a scene kid, but far worse.

Oh, one thing I like about liking girls is that I can talk with my male friends about girls :') .

What I am just looking forward to now, is the future, the experiences that are laying ahead of me and hopefully, they will make it clear to me who I am.

7. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's so interesting. From what I've seen on the forum, it seems like our experience is quite common among those questioning themselves.

Ohh, I think I get it. I understand that you're worried but if you don't allow yourself to fantasize about women anymore I think it can make things even more confusing for you because it reinforces the shame and potentially represses any genuine feelings that you might have for them. If you were to end up realizing that you we're wrong this whole time, there would be nothing wrong with that. Heck, you even have very reasonable reasons for thinking of yourself as not straight since you said, for example, that thinking about sexual things with girls is arousing to you and that would make anyone, who isn't in complete denial, question themselves. It all makes very much sense and it's likely that in time you'll become more confident in yourself and the self-doubt will fade away.

Awesome! You should totally look forward to the future and all that lies ahead of you :slight_smile: I hope things go well for you.

8. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that is exactly what is happening: that I repress the feelings. It becomes toxic. For my mental health I mean. For over a year now my head is in overdrive and I am becoming tired (quite literally) from all the questioning.

For now I have only been attracted to girls in my life. Yes I can see some guys are very good-looking. But do I want to do sth with them? nah, not really, not yet at least...

It is all the more confusing, because I am not a very sexual person, more of a sensual/demisexual one (when talking about orientation). And as far as I know I am far more sensually attracted to woman, compared to men.

But because of my brain I am doubting everything that I've written above: ''What if your understanding of romantic and sexual attraction is false?'' or ''Have you repressed sexual attraction towards men, unconsciously?''

the 'nah, not really..' is becoming a 'maybe you do'.

I question every feeling that I feel, over analyze everything and become more and more stuck inside of my head. I doubt my feelings to the point I don't know what I am feeling anymore and become some sort of block of ice (emotionally wise).

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

I know there is nothing wrong with being wrong, but my mind just does not allow it. (I am a perfectionist, an extreme one, had to go to therapy because of stress and whatnot :') )

9. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Right, pretty much everything you said I relate to. In my case it's obvious that I only like girls if I look at all the data from an objective standpoint. Despite this I still sometimes think I've somehow ended up making myself gay and that it's all my fault and that I should and must fix it. Essentially, I blame myself for being gay and in turn being "wrong". That's why I try to talk myself into believing that there might still be a chance that I'm bisexual -- even if there is practically no evidence for it as in, I've never been attracted to a guy. The point is that this is all rooted in shame because I refuse to see what's right in front of me just because I'm terrified of not being good enough and there being something wrong with me just for being gay.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the 5 stages of grief that many people go through when coming to terms with not being straight, but I think I'm in the bargaining/denial stage when I doubt the legitimacy of my sexuality -- and to me it sounds like you might be as well.

Looking back on my own questioning process I realized that it had to take time because I wasn't ready to figure myself out yet. Consciously, I thought I was, but my unconscious was still fighting and holding me back -- again because of shame. It was too scary for me to all at once realize I was gay so it was very much a process for me. Time sounds like something you need as well, even if it may be frustrating to have to "wait", things really do become clearer if you just allow yourself to take your time.

10. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same, but for me the shame comes from: What if I am wrong. Not the fact that I can like girls, but the possibility I have lied to the world, and to myself, and that after all I fell for a man.

I am familiar with the stages and am at the bargaining/depression stage. ''Why do I have these feelings?'' And since there is, not yet, a reason why one is gay, I cannot cling to objective evidence (such as biological patterns). I can only rely on myself, which is scary, seeing things from one side means it's subjective and therefore less reliable.

I do not rely on my feelings anymore.

Hahaha, it's what I am telling myself: I have to wait. really frustrating I can say. I want my mental health back :')

It was also a huge process for me to accept that I had these feelings. Gays/non-heterosexuals were like these magical creatures, very, very rare. so I could not be one right?

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2016 at 08:57 PM ----------

Yeah I also blame myself, I have 'Influenced' myself too much while watching those gay shows and/or movies.

I have influenced myself too much with fatasizing about girls.

But then again, we like something because some part of us, deep inside of us, we like it.

Life is weird.

thanks for answering again :slight_smile:

11. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Geeezz stop reading my mind, will ya lol. But seriously it's almost uncanny how much I can see myself in your situation o.o that also makes it difficult for me to help you since I haven't figured everything out myself yet (or maybe I have but I'm just in denial/bargaining..) -- and though our experiences are very similar I can't rule out that the causes could be different.
    But even if I had the best advice to offer it's ultimately up to you, as you said, to uncover your sexual orientation. But if you want more of my own perspective on it (and I'm trying my best to be unbiased) you already talk about yourself as if part of you thinks/knows that you are gay. You even said yourself that you don't want to do anything with guys even if you find them good-looking. So far I've not seen anything that indicates any sexual attraction towards the opposite sex. I also still stand by this quote:
    One thing that helped me figure out if I was gay or bi was to pay close attention to "attractive" guys both in real life and everywhere else basically. I would look at plenty of pictures and videos of guys and fantasize about them sexually over and over again till it finally just dawned on me that I'm gay. Another practice you could try is that the next time a same-sex fantasy arouses/excites you, try to immediately change the girl to a guy and see if it does anything for you. Maybe you've already tried these techniques though.

The part about not being able to rely on any scientific evidence and feel like your sexual orientation is out of your control because you can know for a fact that you didn't choose it if science would say so is what I've literally thought many times. But when it's still ambiguous it can be easy to automatically go to blame oneself or people around you for being the way you are because why else would you be GAY!? Like, that is such a big deal and not something that just happens to anyone and if it does, surely there must be something.. wrong with them... At least that's where my thinking process goes.. Goddammit shame -- ugh. Just trying to figure out how the hell you could be gay yourself can cause a sort of malfunction in your brain @__@

Btw, I'm not sure I can provide much more advice than I already have and there's no point in going around in circles, but if you still want to talk more about this you can hit me up anytime (or we can continue talking on this thread if you would want that). Also, quickly, how long have you been questioning for?

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2016 at 09:38 PM ----------

Just to add: what would happen if you took some time to think of yourself as entirely gay without any doubts or thoughts that you may be fooling yourself and then go on to do the same thing but with imagining yourself as bi or straight? For example, try for a day or so to tell the voice in your head that calls you a liar to shut up and that what it says is not true and your feelings are entirely genuine. Just try it (maybe more than once) and see how you feel.

#11 ellyy, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  12. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha same goes for you, stop reading my mind lol :').

I did try that technique tho, I switched the guy to a girl. It feels weird because when I get aroused, I am already at the point of being so horny, that I just focus on my body, more then on my fantasy.

But when I just begin with a guy, it does nothing for me, maybe the feeling of rubbing (sorry for tmi), but no sensual feelings at all.

It's hard, because I am not a very sexual orientated person. I can't go: ''Wow that ones hot, I would do him/her.'' I can, however, pick out a lot of aestethic pleasing people. That is why I refer myself to be a more sensual than sexual person. When I talk to people and they touch me for a bit I know immediately (or within a short period of time, let's say two weeks) if I am sensually attracted to them.

It's okay that you have no advice anymore, because we are basically in the same boat lol. But it does help to talk to somebody about it. If you wanna talk about it to me, it's also not a problem if you hit me up haha. I guess for most part we just have to wait :/ and like you said there is no point going in circles (however it seems like my brain wants to do that).

I have been questioning for almost 2 years now. For the past year the questioning increased 120x because I realized I had feelings for one of my best friends (I posted about it: ''Was this my first love?)

How long have you been questioning?

13. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you experiencing mood swings in other areas of life?

I have experienced a very similar pattern of there being a relationship between happiness/feeling gay & doubts going together with a low mood.

Personally I have found that I was projecting a whole lot of issues onto my sexuality- I felt that all was ok in the world when I thought of myself as gay, but when I felt that I could be bisexual, I associated it with a lot of sadness- like I would have to give up being with women, or could never be happy, or was somehow resigned to always being unhappy.

I am now realising that those mood shifts were about more than just my sexuality, and I projected them onto my sexuality, because that way the problem became simpler.

I still have a lot of anxiety etc. but I managed to shift it away from the sexual doubts- they way I approached, was to basically tell myself "you don't have to ever be with a guy, if you don't want to". That gave me some control over how I felt - I did not have to worry about 'ending up with a guy'- because I told myself that I did not have to.

14. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I have experienced mood swings in other areas of life, since I am too young, To have had 'areas' in my life. From my beginning teen years, let's say 12 years old, I have been experiencing mood swings. Most of the time because of external factors. (school, friends, falling for my best friend oops, etc)

You see the thing is I don't want to put myself in a box, but at the same time I want to. I do not have to end up with a guy, but what if I fall for one? Therefore I would be a complete liar to myself and my surroundings, if I claimed myself to be gay. I don't want that to happen, thus I am scared of grabbing a label.

I have no control, because you can't control your feelings towards persons, not ever. You can never control the future. I have to let it go, basically.

The only thing I want to is to be happy and not worry about labels, but I feel weirded out when people ask: ''Have you got a boyfriend yet''.

15. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand how you feel and can relate to this- it looks like you want the security that a label provides, but are worried that you will not be able to live up to it, if your circumstances/feelings change.

But a label is not a magical tool which will make everything fit.

Your words and your feelings are valid as they are- what you can do is try to convey some of the meaning of the labels with your own words, without 'committing' to the label yet:
    eg you can say " I am not into guys right now", or "I don't want to date boys", " I am still figuring things out and I am not ready to talk about it properly yet", etc.
    Let all those things that make you feel happy and good about yourself, stand valid on their own, without trying to attach them to a label.

Once you grow comfortable with yourself and all the things that you like/want and which make you happy, once you give yourself permission to just be as you are, then with time a label will find you.

16. Loppox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly what I am thinking right now and doing so :grin: haha. My surroudings however try to put me in some sort of box: I am either a confused straight, or a big gay.

I have to defend myself everytime and I am tired of that :'). The thoughts people have about me influence my self-reflection, which is pretty damn annoying. Especially from people who are close to my heart and who know me pretty damn well.

It's always around me, all this noise
    But not really as loud as the voice saying
    Let it happen,