1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a Gay Aspie....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by EimGhey, Apr 28, 2016.

1. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

As an Aspie I want a Aspie boyfriend... But the problem is there are very few dating options for men on the spectrum... I am afraid I will never find a nice Gay Autistic Person on my level? :bang:

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi EimGhey,

Welcome to LGBT Later in Life :welcome:

I'm glad that you joined our community. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions on how to find an Aspie boyfriend. EC is an amazing place, so I'm sure that you'll be able to find someone who can point you in the right direction.

Best,
    SF

#2 SiennaFire, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

Thank you!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure you really want to limit yourself? Maybe allow yourself to be more opened minded and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. Attraction comes in all shapes and sizes and is not a one box fits all type of thing.

5. canonymous

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I completely agree with the last post. As someone else on the mild end of the spectrum, being gay is hard enough. Don't limit yourself, but rather just focus on compatibility based on your individual traits, if that makes any sense.

6. faustian1

Oh my God. It's very difficult to navigate the gay dating social scene when you are an Aspie. I am found somewhere on that spectrum myself.

The enormous amount of unspoken, cryptic and indecipherable code in most (including hetero) dating is beyond us.

That being said, the reason I reply is that I've been giving some thought to the idea that it might be MORE difficult for Aspies to be friends (or more) with other Aspies, than it is for Aspies to develop accepting friendships with NT-types. I've tried it recently (again), and I'm amazed at the challenges!

7. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My BF is somewhat autistic (very recently diagnosed, with a strong family history of autism). He functions well in a professional setting (he's a veterinarian), but he's at bit at sea in social situations. Often he cannot distinguish between a serious question and a polite inquiry — he tends to talk at length or not at all. Some of his previous relationships have been disastrous, partially because of his inability to "read" the other person. That said, he has many, many friends and admirers, especially among people who love animals, and he has been in gay relationships that have lasted years. For what it's worth (as a non-aspie myself), I tend to agree with faustian1 that it might be better/easier to seek a relationship with a non-aspie, but in any case, don't stop looking!

8. faustian1

Weston, you've definitely found one of us! :icon_wink

As you're finding, with the right people and in the right job, Aspies have assets that are hard to beat. And let me tell you, as an Aspie I'd love to have a partner who is fluent in social mysteries. That's the way we get insight into the mysterious inner workings of human communication.

#8 faustian1, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016