1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[UK] Conversion therapy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Calf, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wasn't sure where to post this but does anyone know of or have any experience of gay conversion therapy in the UK?

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you ask?

3. Faschmemster

Faschmemster Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought conversion therapy was an American thing. There is no place religious enough to do this in the UK apart from perhaps Northern Ireland.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2016 at 12:01 AM ----------

Some muslim communities would practise conversion therapy as well perhaps if that is what you are talking about.

4. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was curious because I have seen and read a lot on this subject in the US but very little in the UK. I know it happens here but not through any personal experience so I was wondering if it's an issue that should be discussed more here.

I'm not looking to sign up for therapy if that's what you were thinking :icon_bigg

5. Faschmemster

Faschmemster Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Even if it does happen in UK it is an extremely small percentage within the Christian community. Only Christians in northern Ireland are insane enough to support this and even they are not bible belt tier. UK certainly doesn't have a problem with conversion therapy.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it definitely happens in the UK, but I suspect there's less said about it here because it's less prevalent. I think most people here would be surprised to discover such a thing even exists.

7. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It probably happens somewhere here, yeah, but personally I've never heard anything about it. I'm not sure if it's actually legal anymore...

8. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

If the UK is still that stupid I should tell my relatives in Germany to try to invade it one more time!

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some instances of religious crackpots indulging in conversion practices, but nothing like in the US. Sad to say that conversion therapy was once provided through the NHS, but withdrawn in the 1980's, when it had been proven to be ineffective and harmful. There are a few mavericks who would like the NHS to licence 'new' therapies again, but the Department of Health are unmoved by the requests and professional bodies representing therapists and psychiatrists remain fundamentally opposed to any attempt to alter a person's sexual orientation.

10. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am aware that it isn't an acceptable practice amongst major UK bodies but it is still practiced by some. I've never heard of the residential camps here though where people can send there kids to be 'cured'. Has anyone else?

11. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of them.

12. I never really heard of it in the UK. We just recently got Gay Marriage legalised so I'm not sure if it's even about anymore.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexual conversion therapy is quackery and fraud, no more, no less.

The evidence here is unequivocal: the APA commissioned a meta-study of every major credible study done in the last 50+ years and found there was no evidence that reparative therapy was effective in changing sexual orientation. And, indeed, the largest such organization in the US, Exodus, disbanded and its founder apologized to all the people that had been hurt when he finally figured out that it was BS and that he was actually gay.

As much as I understand the desire to change, there's no way to do that, so the process is to work on accepting yourself as you are.

14. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

Chip you should also mention all the assults which happen in that program.. He still might try...

Don't man Google some Ex-Ex-Gay sites and read.. Those programs often drive people to suicide or worse someone abuses them while treating them!