1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm considering coming out to my mom.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iDunnodude, Apr 27, 2016.

1. iDunnodude

Out Status:
    Some people
    As the title reads, I'm thinking about confirming to my mom that I'm most likely bisexual.
    I think that I need to do this do get it off my chest. She has previously said things like "oh, I thought you were going to tell me you're bi -_-" and "be whatever you want, I don't care, but don't expect me to go in any parades" in somewhat bitter tones. She also wasn't very fond of me volunteering for the local pride festival last year.
    In other words, she hasn't shown much positivity towards the LGBT community, despite having gay acquaintances.

I'm thinking about just sending her a text message where I tell her that I'm possibly bi and don't want to talk about it when I get home, nor want it to be spread without my consent.
    I have a hard time talking about things as it is already, so I want to get this agonizing rock off of my shoulders and move on.

My purpose of telling her is to try to make things better for me as this, along with so many other things, causes me a lot of stress, worries and anxiety. I also think that this could be good for her to have it "confirmed". I don't actually know to 100 % that I'm bi, but I'm pretty sure that I have the potential of being so.

Any advice, pepping words or anything like that?

2. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it doesn't matter if you're not 100% sure, you just do what you feel is right for now, who cares if it changes later on. I texted my mum and told her I didn't want to talk about it but someone (not me) got their own way and we spoke about it anyway, which is only natural so just be prepared incase she wants to talk about it or say something and not say anything else about it, generally if you're coming out to someone and tell them not to say anything they won't because they can see that you're trusting them enough to share something personal about yourself.
    All I can say is Good luck and I hope it goes great for you :slight_smile:
    And as daunting as it all seems once you tell her you'll feel so much better so try not to get too worried or anxious (easier said then done)