1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of having the same argument with my parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by waywardchild, Apr 26, 2016.

1. waywardchild

So I haven't posted on here in a while because my mind has been so overwhelmed with my situation these past six months but after I came out to my family in October, very little has changed. My parents still think I am being ungrateful because I'm not willing to give up the chance of being with a guy in the future. No matter how many times I have tried to explain to them that I am gay, not straight, not bisexuality, they still argue that I am choosing my being gay over them. But they refuse to understand thst it's not fair of them to ask me to give up my future and my basic freedom to love and more importantly to live my life for them. Every time I sau I can't change being gay the same way they can't change being straight their response is thst if their family wanted them to change they would and because I'm not willing to change I'm being selfish and unappreciative of everything they've done for me. No matter how many times I try to explain that I'm grateful fur what they've done in the past but that I have no reason to be grateful for them not allowing me to have a future they just won't listen. I'm looking at moving out but I know their reaction is going to be that I'm abandoning them and they I'm chosing being gay over them but they're leaving me with no choice but to move out because I'm so sick of coming home to a place where I feel like an outsider and that I don't belong. Even if I want to go out with my friends who are very open and supportive about my sexuality an argument occurs where I'm always made to look like the bad guy because I'm hanging around with 'bad' people. I'm so sick of being treated as though I'm a rapist or murderer in my house all because I want to love a guy instead of a girl and because I don't fit in with 'the majority' as they say. In their minds, because the majority of people want me to be straight I have to be otherwise I'm being ungrateful. They also being up my dead relatives who I loved so much, saying that they're glad they werent alive to see what kind of person I've become especially after they loved me so much and that really hurts me to hear. I love my family but its not my fault im gay. I just am and there is nothing wrong with it to me and when i make that known they think im an ungrategul, bad person because i dont support their view and I should because my family's wants should come before my own selfish wants. Before I leave I want to try and make them understand that I'm not doing this to be cruel or to go against them but because being gay is who I am and I need to live my life. As long as I am under their roof I will never be allowed to be myself completely or start living my life for myself. But they think I'm being so celf centred for not changing who I am for them even though it will affect my future and my life far more than it will ever affect theirs. It's my feelings after all and they all got to be with whoever they wanted yet they want me to give up that choice and miraculously be straight just to please them because they're the majority and they're my family and family should come before anything. I'm so tired of having the same argument. What can I possibly do or say to make them see I'm not doing this to hurt them or go against them but that it is just who I am and I deserve the same basic rights and freedom as everyone else, especially now that I'm planning on moving out soon? I can imagine that conversation going down the same way when I finally find a place of my own and tell them. Thanks in advance.

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps they don't really grasp what being gay means. Sure you could choose not to engage in any gay activities but it's not really about what you do what makes you gay. It's all about what you feel and who you feel attracted to. Perhaps you could compare it to celibacy: you can decide not to have sex but that will not take away your sexual urges and it certainly won't prevent you from falling in love with someone.

Perhaps you could meet a qualified psychologist or a therapist with your parents and they could help your parents to understand what it actually means to be gay.

3. WhiteRose29

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Now I'm not going to sugarcoat this. Sadly, you just can't get through to some people about being gay. They won't accept it no matter how hard you try to convince them that there's nothing wrong with it and that your feelings are natural. I've talked to my mom (who is Christian) a few times about being bisexual, and how I'm more naturally drawn to men. She just doesn't get it, she doesn't accept it, and she doesn't want to believe it, no matter how much I try to get her to understand my view.

It's really just the way it is. You can keep trying to get your parents to understand how you feel, but for some people it just doesn't work, no matter how hard you try. Now of course anybody has the ability to be accepting of homosexuality, but a lot of people just have a really thick skull in regard to it, and it sucks.

Either way, it'd be nice if you keep us informed about what happens. I hope you or somebody else can somehow change their opinion.

#3 WhiteRose29, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. WhiteRose29

So I read your other post from several months ago.

If you're able to take care of yourself like most adults... Leave. Do all you can to get as far away as possible from your parents. It's time for you to start living your own life. If your parents can't accept you for who you are and try to make you a different person, there is no true relationship with them in the first place, therefore it can't be ruined. You don't deserve to be treated this way and keep in mind that it's not your fault, it's theirs. Don't feel guilty for leaving them.

If your parents get physically violent, report them.

I wish the best for you.

5. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

You probably already know that you're on the right side here, not them.
    And, if they're being that way and your able to leave, then leave them if that's what you'd want. No one needs those kinds of people in their lives.
    It's probably a little frustrating that you seemingly can't change their minds, but their opinions shouldn't have such an effect on your life, so don't feel guilty if you do end up leaving them either.
    No one should be treated that way.
    And you're not being selfish, in fact, it's them who are.
    Go ahead, live how you want to, you don't need them to tell you that stuff like they're right. If you do choose to leave them and they argue, just keep trying.
    It's your life, after all.

Wishing you the best, i hope i could help even just a little.
    -Umi

#5 Bobsleigh1, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016
  6. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    6 months is still (somehow) fresh news. They're not accepting it yet, so they do what they're naturally inclined to do: raise their defenses, often at your expense. Until they reach any form of acceptance, it might take some time. In the mean time, you have to pull through. I'm sorry there just isn't an easy way out of this, you just have to find a part of yourself that gives you the strength and courage to persevere.

7. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do or say to change their minds or make them understand. It sounds like they're reacting in a similar way my mom did when I first came out to her. She was very unhappy with me, told me things like "well this isn't what a mother dreams about when they have a baby girl!" and things like "this isn't what a mother wants for her daughter!"

A lot of parents say things like this, accuse us of being 'ungrateful' 'selfish' or a variety of other terms that make it seem like it's a choice, or like we're doing it on purpose to hurt them. This is a common reaction, sadly.

Now, at the time of my coming out, I was already living away from home. I cannot IMAGINE what it would have been like if I'd come out while still at home. If I were you, I would leave, get my own place and distance myself form them. DO NOT cut them out of your life entirely, at least not yet. My mom came around. It took several years, but now she is VERY supportive of me and my wife. She's even called me several times, proud of herself for educating other parents about gay children and she talks about me and my wife at church to her friends. But it took a lot of bad phone conversations and a lot of misunderstandings to get here.

I do want to preface the above paragraph with a warning however, because things didn't go that well with my dad. I DID end up cutting him completely out of my life. If your parents become physically abusive, or if they say things purposefully to hurt you, then you need to take care of yourself first. The hard part is figuring out where that line is. If you have close friends, tell them everything that's happening to you. It was my good friends who told me my father was abusing me, because I couldn't see it for myself. But once I did see it, I knew what I had to do.

Keep us all updated. We'll help where we can.