1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition & feeling like a grown up?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by paris, Apr 25, 2016.

1. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone, wishing you a wonderful day. :icon_bigg
    The other day I saw a YouTube video where a transguy talks about finally feeling like a grown up since he's transitioning and is on T. He also said he knew others who'd described it the same. Do any of you on HRT experienced this?
    The thing is I'm almost forty and indeed I don't feel like a proper adult yet and I was thinking if this could be related to me not going through the right puberty and living like a man. :confused:

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not on hormones but very much yes. This is what happens when you live in the wrong role, you basically don't go forward emotionally in some aspects.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yeah, you're kind of stumped. That's part of why, for example, I sometimes behave like a 5-year old. XD

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *buffering*
    *buffering*
    *buffering*

Error. File "adulthood" not found. Would you like to try again?

I'm both a perpetual child and an old man. But I feel very disconnected from being (or becoming) a proper adult, because I haven't even gone through proper puberty yet.

So yes, I think you could say it affects us. Imagine if any cis-kid growing up suddenly "froze" right before puberty and lived the next decade like that, with intellect increasing yet the natural order of social and emotional development associated with puberty being halted. It would be... shall we say, rather disconcerting for them.

#4 Kodo, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is something that has happened a lot to me. Realizing that I am male really let me mature a lot. Before, I felt like I was stuck in high school constantly. Now, I finally feel that I have moved on from that.

Also, I feel much more confident in taking care of myself. Before, this is something that I was really scared to do. I felt like I was messing it up. I now realize that I felt this way because I was trying to be female.

It didn't take hormones for me to notice the beginning of a difference. That's something that is different for everybody though.

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all, it was pretty helpful. :thumbsup:

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I've had a hard time feel my age. I constantly still feel like a teen.

8. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of the big reasons I've started thinking about pursuing low-dose testosterone is this exact thing! Despite the fact I definitely did, I've always felt kind of like I never 'really' hit puberty - I think I might have had expectations that didn't get met.

(I remember expecting my voice to get notably deeper, and I pined for the growth spurt that never came even to the point where I was 16 and it was definitely too late - although I managed to convince myself that maybe now all the boys in my year were starting to get taller, I might start along with them!)

No idea whether I'll go through with it, but I do think that some of the changes from T would help me feel more like I've actually 'grown up', even if I am destined to be forever five foot zero, haha.

9. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dang, I didn't even think about that. I'm not growing up into the correct role and body, so despite all the "adult" things I'm doing and accomplishing, I still feel like a kid. Dang. (I mean. Not to say I'll be any more mature when I transition, but still.)

10. wanderinggirl

I go back and forth on gender, but yeah I feel very much like a kid in my masculine expression. I've tried dressing "femme" as a way of adulting, but it doesn't feel right. I'm not sure why I feel like a perpetual child, I'm hoping that goes away someday...

11. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought it was weird that I fell like a kid, but it turns out I'm not the only one....