1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Transgender is a Mental Disorder

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dingdang, Apr 24, 2016.

1. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

How much research have you done cuz my brother watched several AlJazeera specials on the topic... AlJazeera is biased agianst Iran and they even contradict you...:confused:

2. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a big thing I found that might be useful :shrug:

sex (redirected from Biological sex)
    Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
    Related to Biological sex: pansexual, gender identity
    sex [seks]
    1. the fundamental distinction, found in most species of animals and plants, based on the type of gametes produced by the individual; also the category to which the individual fits on the basis of that criterion. Called also gender. See also gender identity and gender role.
    2. to determine which of these categories an organism belongs in.
    3. sexual intercourse.
    chromosomal sex the sex as determined by the presence of the XX (female) or the XY (male) genotype in somatic cells, without regard to phenotypic manifestations. Called also genetic sex.
    endocrinologic sex the phenotypic manifestations of sex determined by endocrine influences, such as development of breasts and genital organs.
    genetic sex chromosomal sex.
    gonadal sex the sex as determined on the basis of the gonadal tissue present (ovarian or testicular).
    sex hormones glandular secretions involved in the regulation of sexual functions. The principal sex hormone in the male is testosterone, produced by the testes. In the female the principal sex hormones are the estrogens and progesterone, produced by the ovaries. These hormones influence the secondary sex characters, such as the shape and contour of the body, the distribution of body hair, and the pitch of the voice. The male hormones stimulate production of spermatozoa in men, and the female hormones control ovulation, pregnancy, and the menstrual cycle in women.
    morphological sex sex determined on the basis of the morphology of the external genitals.
    nuclear sex the sex as determined on the basis of the presence or absence of sex chromatin in somatic cells, its presence normally indicating the XX (female) genotype, and its absence the XY (male) genotype.
    Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
    sex (seks),
    1. The biologic character or quality that distinguishes male and female from one another as expressed by analysis of the person's gonadal, morphologic (internal and external), chromosomal, and hormonal characteristics. Compare: gender.
    2. The physiologic and psychological processes within a person that prompt behavior related to procreation or erotic pleasure.
    [L. sexus]
    Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
    sex (seks)
    1. a distinctive character of most animals and plants, based on the type of gametes produced by the gonads, ova (macrogametes) being typical of the female, and spermatozoa (microgametes) of the male, or the category in which the individual is placed on such basis.
    2. see gender identity, under identity.
    3. sexual intercourse.
    4. to determine whether an organism is male or female.
    chromosomal sex , genetic sex sex as determined by the presence of the XX (female) or the XY (male) genotype in somatic cells, without regard to phenotypic manifestations.
    gonadal sex that part of the phenotypic sex that is determined by the gonadal tissue present (ovarian or testicular).
    morphological sex that part of the phenotypic sex that is determined by the morphology of the external genitals.
    phenotypic sex the phenotypic manifestations of sex determined by endocrine influences.
    Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers. © 2007 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
    sex (sĕks)
    n.
    a. Sexual activity, especially sexual intercourse: hasn't had sex in months.
    b. The sexual urge or instinct as it manifests itself in behavior: motivated by sex.
    a. Either of the two divisions, designated female and male, by which most organisms are classified on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions: How do you determine the sex of a lobster?
    b. The fact or condition of existing in these two divisions, especially the collection of characteristics that distinguish female and male: the evolution of sex in plants; a study that takes sex into account. See Usage Note at gender.
    3. Females or males considered as a group: dormitories that house only one sex.
    4. One's identity as either female or male.
    5. The genitals.
    tr.v. sexed, sexing, sexes
    To determine the sex of (an organism).
    The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    sex
    Etymology: L, sexus, sex
    1 a classification of male or female based on many criteria, among them anatomical and chromosomal characteristics. Compare gender.
    2 coitus.
    Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 9th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.
    sex Biology
    The structural and functional characteristics of a person or organism that allow assignment as either male or female; sex is determined by chromosomes, hormones and external and internal genitalia (gonads).

EBM
    The phenotypic (and psychosocial) expression of a person’s genotype, which defines a subject/patient in a clinical trial as male, female or other.

Psychology
    A person's self-image and mental status as male, female or uncertain. Depending on the circumstances, this determination may be based on the appearance of the external genitalia or on karyotyping.

Sexology
    One’s personal and reproductive status as male, female or uncertain, which is generally determined by the person’s internal and external genitalia.

Vox populi
    Sexual activity or intercourse; genital interaction.
    Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
    sex Sexology Personal and reproductive status as ♂, ♀, etc, generally based on external genitalia Vox populi Sexual activity, genital interaction. See Anonymous sex, Non-coital sex, Oral sex, Phone sex, Rough sex, Solitary sex.
    McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
    sex (seks)
    1. The biologic character or quality that distinguishes male and female from one another as expressed by analysis of the individual's gonadal, morphologic (internal and external), chromosomal, and hormonal characteristics.
    Compare: gender
    2. The physiologic and psychological processes within an individual that prompt behavior related to procreation or erotic pleasure.
    [L. sexus]
    Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012
    sex
    1. Gender, as genetically determined.
    2. The condition of being male or female.
    3. The urge or instinct manifesting itself in behaviour directed towards copulation.
    4. The genitalia.
    5. A popular term for COITUS.
    Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005
    sex biological quality distinguishing male and female, expressed by the presence of two X (i.e. female) or X + Y (i.e. male) chromosomes
    Illustrated Dictionary of Podiatry and Foot Science by Jean Mooney © 2009 Elsevier Limited. All rights reserved.
    sex (seks)
    1. Biologic character or quality that distinguishes male and female from one another as expressed by analysis of person's gonadal, morphologic (internal and external), chromosomal, and hormonal characteristics.
    2. Physiologic and psychological processes within a person that prompt behavior related to procreation or erotic pleasure.
    [L. sexus]
    Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions © Farlex 2012
    sex,
    n a classification of an individual as male or female on the basis of anatomic, functional, hormonal, and chromosomal characteristics.
    sex, anatomic,
    n (genotype), a classification of sex based on the sexual differentiation of the primary gonads.
    sex, chromosomal,
    n the chromosomal characteristics involving normally 44 somatic and 2 sex chromosomes, the latter designated as XX for the normal female and XY for the normal male. The presence of the Y chromosome is associated with a male phenotype and its absence with a phenotypic female.
    sex chromosomes,
    n the chromosomes responsible for sex classi-fication–XX for female, XY for male.
    sex, functional (phenotype),
    n the designation of sex based on the state of maturation and potential for use of the external genitalia.
    sex, hormonal,
    n a contributory assignment of sex on the basis of adequate levels of estrogen and androgen for the development of typical phenotypic secondary sex characteristics.
    sex hormones,
    n.pl See hormone(s), sex.
    sex, legal,
    n the sex assigned at birth or legally by a court of law.
    sex, nuclear,
    n the sex determination based on the presence or absence of the hyperchromatic nucleolar satellite in squamous cells from a buccal mucosa smear or of “drumsticks” in the polymorphonuclear neutrophil. Positives are normally seen in the female.
    sex-linkage,
    n See linkage, sex.
    Mosby's Dental Dictionary, 2nd edition. © 2008 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
    sex
    1. the fundamental distinction, found in most species of animals and plants, based on the type of gametes produced by the individual or the category to which the individual fits on the basis of that criterion. Ova, or macrogametes, are produced by the female, and spermatozoa, or microgametes, are produced by the male. The union of these distinctive germ cells results in the production of a new individual in sexual reproduction.
    2. to determine the sex of an animal.
    sex cell
    see germ cell, gamete.
    sex chromatin
    the persistent mass of chromatin situated at the periphery of the nucleus in cells of normal females; it is the material of the inactivated sex chromosome. Called also Barr body.
    chromosomal sex
    sex as determined by the presence of the XX (female) or the XY (male) genotype in somatic cells, without regard to phenotypic manifestations. Called also genetic sex.
    sex chromosomes
    see sex chromosomes.
    sex determination
    1. the change in the fetus to a male or female configuration; the process by which the sex of an organism is fixed, associated, in animals, with the presence or absence of the Y chromosome.
    2. diagnosis of the sex of the fetus before birth performed by examination of fetal fluids obtained by amniocentesis.
    sex determining region of Y
    a single gene responsible for determining the sex of an animal.
    sex drive
    see libido.
    endocrinological sex
    the phenotypic manifestations of sex determined by endocrine influences, such as mammary development, etc.
    genetic sex
    chromosomal sex.
    sex glands
    in the male includes the prostate, seminal vesicles, ampullae and bulbourethral glands; in the female includes ovaries.
    gonadal sex
    the sex as determined on the basis of the gonadal tissue present (ovarian or testicular).
    sex hormones
    glandular secretions involved in the regulation of sexual functions. The principal sex hormone in the male is testosterone, produced by the testes. In the female the principal sex hormones are the estrogens and progesterone, produced by the ovaries.
    These hormones influence the secondary sex characters, such as the shape and contour of the body and head, mammary development and the pitch of the voice. The male hormones stimulate production of spermatozoa, and the female hormones control ovulation, pregnancy and the estral cycle.
    sex-linkage
    includes X-linked (much the most common) and Y-linked loci.
    sex-linked inheritance
    see sex-linkage (above).
    morphological sex
    sex determined on the basis of the morphology of the external genitals.
    neutrophil sex lobe
    see drumstick lobe.
    nuclear sex
    the sex as determined on the basis of the presence or absence of sex chromatin in somatic cells, its presence normally indicating the XX (female) genotype, and its absence the XY (male) genotype.
    sex parity
    see sex ratio (below).
    sex pheromone
    see pheromone.
    sex ratio
    proportion of female to male births.
    sex reversal
    the sexual condition of animals in which gonadal sex and chromosomal sex are dissimilar.
    sex steroids
    steroidal compounds acting as hormones in reproductive processes; the principal ones are estrogen, progesterone, testosterone.
    Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2016 at 10:16 AM ----------

I don't know much, only info I got from watching the doco. How exactly do they contradict me though?

3. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

AlJazeera claims most of the Middle East due to the Ayatollahs support for the trans back in the 80s has accepted Tran-sexuality as natural... Even though they kill gays...

4. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So do they view being trans as a sexuality? Maybe one of the reasons for those trans women being so unhappy is because, like many trans people, they are actually neither completely straight or even completely identify as women. And being ambiguous like that could put them in danger/no longer be accepted. Because I don't know if you've noticed, but most trans people on EC (and so probably the world in general I'd assume) aren't 100% straight.
    I really don't know enough to know what Ayatollahs is to say anything about that though

#24 jaska, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transgender isn't a sexuality, it is a gender identity.
    Some trans people are straight
    Some are gay
    Some are bi
    Some are pansexual
    Some are asexual
    Some are fluid in their sexuality.

Your last statement didn't make much sense to me and that is why I made the list above.

6. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but if you were a trans woman in Iran you would be persecuted if you were not straight. So those women would be unhappy because they have to hide parts of themselves and their society would make them feel that not being straight is bad. Or maybe they are non binary and looking ambiguous might lead people to think that they are gay. (Stereotype gay men being more feminine and vice versa) So their only options might be either transition-or stay as birth sex but either way they are still unhappy because they can't be 100% themself.
    It was just EimGhey's comment that made me think he was confusing sexuality with gender or whether he was quoting it from somewhere.

#26 jaska, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know much about the culture in Iran so I can't say.

But I know in India being transgender, or have the third gender, is a accepted and celebrated thing. It has a cuktral importance I believe, though don't quote me on it. Meanwhile being LGB is frowned heavily upon and can get you killed.

8. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

In a lot of countries it is the reverse of what it is here.. According to my brother Trans are very persecuted her in the West and seeing the News I believe it! :bang:
    :***:

9. lnamae

lnamae Guest

10. Bubbletea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would call it a mental anomaly but then saying it out loud it may even be worse lol.

Anyway, I 100% agree with tg being a mental disorder but I don't understand how that does not give me the right to get help in coping with this disorder by surgery and/or guidance to come closer to a 'normal version' of me.

It'd like saying someone is depressed and then denying them medication (if they choose to want that).

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a bit difficult to say was I even being contradicted as you didn't explain me what your brother told you nor what was _actually_ being said in this documentary on Al-Jazeera. I got a couple of sources. One is the Safra Project country report on Iran here and then there is this article on the BBC and this on Advocate.

Further evidence for people being coerced into such operations is the sheer number of them performed annually. There is no underlying reason to expect that gender dysphoria requiring sex change operation is any more common in Iran than it's anywhere else. The per capita estimates for the number of such surgeries in Iran is a few to dozen times more common than in the West. Part of this is probably explained by the financial grant from the government but it cannot explain completely even the most conservative estimates. This strongly suggests that gays and effeminate men and lesbians and manly women are coerced into a sex change operation.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2016 at 02:46 PM ----------

It's important to note what is actually the change. The previous versions of DSM classified the belief that one's sex does not match one's gender as a psychiatric disorder. The new classification includes condition called gender dysphoria which is the distress and anxiety caused by the conflict of sex and perceived gender. So the fact that one feels that one's sex and gender does not match is no longer considered a psychiatric disorder.

This distinction is in practice most likely just cosmetic as I guess most trans people experience dysphoria if the gender they perceive to have is not recognized by others. Once dysphoria has been taken care of APA does not see there is any further need for psychiatric treatment because there is no known cause or treatment for having sex different from one's gender.

#31 Euler, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  12. EimGhey

EimGhey Guest

Well my brothers main point in the conversation was trans are the most oppressed group in the west...

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Euler is right; homosexuals are often encouraged to go through a transition; that way, they can have a 'straight' relationship, which is the only thing accepted.