1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celebrities should come out!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lalayajen, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes we hear that celebrities don't talk about their sexuality since clearly it's their personal life and should be kept personal if they desire.

BUT just read thia...

My mom always cursed LGBTQ+ people when they appeared in the news or movies or what else but after hearing about some out celebrites she doesn't curse or change TV channel as she used to.
    It seems now that she sees that LGBTQ+ people are just people and not Satan-worshipping evils her mind has changed.

So here's a question for you. Would you come out if you were a celebrity ?(even if it does affect your career but helps LGBTQ+ people in more conservative parts of the world.)

2. HerrinDesFeuers

No, I wouldn't. But only because I'm not a fan of coming outs in general.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. Whenever someone is about to ask me if I'm gay my arms start to shake and I get really nervous.

4. justtired

justtired Guest

Yes, I'd rather come out on national TV than coming out in person, again and again. The thought terrifies me, just once and be done with it >.<
    And rather saying "I'm gay", I would want to say: "My wedding is on..". Having another beside you coming out is comforting :s

5. Sharka Sharka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell yeah I would.
    If it means that it would help the LGBT community, (and it does) I'm not going to care what people will think.

In one of my classes, we had an assignment where we had to talk about 10 significant things in our lives, and so I put down coming out as one. When my teacher read it, he changed his wording whenever he spoke to the class. Like, he'd used to say things like "When a man and a woman marries..." but now he includes, "or a man and a man/woman and a woman". And I'm just like :grin:

Also, I read a study somewhere that if people knew/had acquaintances/friends with people that were LGBT, then they were more likely to be accepting of us. This is why I think coming out is important.

6. rudysteiner

I would, but would try and make sure my homosexuality didn't consume my whole personality. As in [my name], the [job title], not [my name], the gay one. I would, of course, try to help LGBT people, but I wouldn't want to be known purely for my sexuality when it's just an irrelevant aspect of who I am in most contexts.

I don't believe that celebrities should have to come out, though, if they don't want to. It'd be nice to know, but if someone wants to keep that part of their life completely private, then so be it.

#6 rudysteiner, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  7. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I probably wouldn't. Exactly because I'm a very reserved person and that's none of other people's business. I wouldn't try to hide it, and I'd obviously try to show my support to the LGBT community the best I could, but publicly coming out, I don't think so.

8. guitar

While I think celebrities coming out can really help people who can latch onto their stories/struggles and use it as a point of courage for their own coming out, I also think coming out should be a private matter - insofar as it should be YOUR choice when to come out. I think outing another person is a disgusting act, no matter who that person is. Being forced out before you're ready can do some pretty major damage and alter your life and potential choices (e.g. losing you a job, getting beaten up, etc.).

I will say, for myself I really latched onto the coming out stories of Rob Halford, Dug Penick (Kings X) and Ellen Page. I came out not long before Ellen did and it sort of helped me get over the next hurdle when I started telling more friends and family members.

9. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, everyone should be able to come out when its right for them to do so whether they are a celebrity or not. For me, its all being comfortable with doing so.

10. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I Wouldent have an official coming out, but I wouldn't deny it or act like I wasent. I would hold my boyfriend's/husbands hand in public like normal and take him to all the events I go to.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not advertise it, no. Being out as trans has huge repercussions and all of a sudden it becomes everyone's business to know intimate details about your body and life. However, if I were asked point-blank if I were trans (or if I were speaking on the matter) then it may be appropriate to come out.

But it really depends. I'm an extremely reserved guy, and not many people will know that I'm trans, later down the line. It has to be for an important reason that I'd disclose such information. And I really, honestly, would hate being a celebrity.

12. White Knight

I will not come out probably but that doesn't mean I would hide.

No one should be forced to come out.

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I admire the ones who do but it's hard enough with family and friends. I'm not going to come out to the world