1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Bass Players on here? :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Invidia, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I'm a drummer and vocalist myself, but I'm interested in picking up a third instrument. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out guitar; I want to learn a wind instrument, but I'll wait with that, I think; for now, I'm thinking I want to learn keyboard or bass guitar. If there are any bass players on here, I'd love to get some advice on how best to learn to play the bass. :slight_smile:
    Hope you're all having a pleasant morning/day/evening/night, xoxo.

2. Irisviel

Well, I played violin for 8 years in the past but I quit... bass was my choice to stay connected to music somehow. I don't know any tips beyond practice, practice, and then practice some more - but you probably know that already. For me the violin was a huge headstart.

Someting more useful: don't just try to play songs you like. Try to start each practice session with some boring but good exercises - a sort of a warmup/agility practice. You are going to need your fingers stretched and those kinds of exercises are doing that, among training you in knowing the instrument. I'm not sure how you would call those kinds of exercises in English, but any lessons for begginers would likely contain examples. Oh, and it would be a good idea to learn reading musical notes, too. Not needed, but useful.

Prepare yourself for aching fingertips... and try to learn fingering the bass, not using a pick. Uh, and, well, if you don't have a teacher, use the power of youtube!

#2 Irisviel, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. renardjouerbass

OOH OOH!!
    *Raises Hand*
    Yes I play the bass

Here's a tip
    just chill. It's really hard to do, but reducing the tension in both hands makes playing more comfortable and adds to the 'bass playing aesthetic'
    Also, try only striking the strings with two alternating fingers (index and middle)

Also, Tabs are your best friend.

4. guitar

As long as I'm using a pick, I'm a "bass player" I suppose. A "regular" guitar and bass utilize the same notes, albeit a bass uses thicker strings are tuned a few octaves lower than a guitar. However, the "top" string on a bass and guitar are both an "E'... so if you can play guitar, transitioning to bass is quite easy because the notes are the same. With that said, you approach each instrument in a fundamentally different way because the bass is means to lock in with the drums, being a sort of "middle-man" between the drums and more melodic instruments.

I've been really lucky and gotten to play with some really fantastic bass players who take their instrument seriously. Obviously everyone is a beginning at some point, and there's nothing wrong with learning to improve your craft. Too often in bands, however, there is a tendency of bass being treated as the instrument of the "failed guitar player," which is a shame because the instrument often isn't given the respect it deserves, especially in more inexperienced bands. I guess what I'm driving at is this: if you are a bass player, practice just as hard as any other musician. :slight_smile:

5. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm learning bass. I don't know what advice to give, though.

6. Electric Puns

I play the bass! I suppose the important things are: practice, start with easy stuff, and be prepared for getting calluses on your fingertips. Also, if you're playing with other people, the bass will usually be important for keeping the rhythm, but you play the drums so you're probably already good at that.
    But my top tip is just to enjoy yourself! :eusa_danc

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks everyone for the great advice. :slight_smile: \m/ \m/

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I play tuba...have always wanted to do so in a band!

9. irissakata

I used to play the Bass but eventually stopped playing it and moved on to acoustic and eventually also electric. Although one of my biggest dreams is to become the singer in a rockband, i'm not capable of doing so due to my still masculine voice.

But to get back to your question, if you want to learn to play Bass i would recommend you to buy a cheap Bass and don't make the mistake i made and instantly pay a couple hundred for a bass and sell it a couple months later, i remember one cheap brand that has great quality for their price, which is called Fazley. Also even though many people call it a taboo, i recommend you to buy the game Rocksmith and a real tone cable, as it can certainly help you in getting to know where you should place your fingers ^_^

#9 irissakata, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Hi pretty avatar person. :slight_smile: Thanks for the advice! xx Oh, and btw, I also kind of have the same problem with singing, at least when it comes to singing J-rock which is often sung by like 15-year old girls. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I think I'm improving, and I like to think it's fully possible that I can sing in a 'female' voice/range as well someday. ^_^

11. littleraven

This is pretty much where I am.

12. Posthuman666

I am an intermediate bass player. It is an extremely fun instrument. When starting out make sure to relax and understand the instrument. Muting is also extremely important, particularly if you ever want to play a 5 or 6 string bass.

13. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I own a bass but I couldn't really get into it like I have done with numerous other instruments. A nice woodwind instrument is the cor anglais or maybe the oboe

14. Conquistar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been playing for 4 years!

15. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yo! Just picked it up! Bought a Yamaha BB300 at a pawn shop for a hundred bucks!

It is good shit.

16. aussielefty

I am slowly teaching myself bass, although its not my main instrument.
    but I agree though its unfair how sometimes the bass player is always treated like crap.
    would love an upright bass!

oh I have seen some excellent bass players playing rocksmith on twitch tv, very talented

17. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I play bass and my prefered thing is self learning rather than going to classes. Personally it's because it gives me more freedom to work out my own style/playing techniques and it's a lot of fun to choose the songs you want to play without any pressure at first.

It really depends on you though. Classes can give you the routine and all that might help you improve quicker. I'd recommend maybe watching a few bass tutorials in your own time and see whether you prefer practicing on your own leisurely or whether you want to find a teacher.

When picking out a bass the biggest suggestion is to just go to a music store and try them out. A bass that is perfect for one person might be terrible for another; your bass should complement you and feels right in your hands.

Play songs you love. It makes it more exciting, and will probably motivate you more to practice. There's not one single perfect style or way to play; bass styles are super flexible and that's the beauty of it to me. Hope you have fun :slight_smile: