1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody in Canada?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I am hoping to do work experience in a Canadian school during my gap year and I was wondering what Canada and schools there are like in terms of LGBT? Is there anything on non-binary gender (as there wasn't anything about that on the websites I looked at)?

Thank-you. :slight_smile:

2. guitar

What do you mean is there anything on non-binary gender?

Canada is a pretty welcoming place, especially in cities. Small towns can still be a bit backwards, but everywhere I've gone I've never felt afraid or unwelcome.

3. Plattyrex

I'm not from Canada, but I do go there fairly often. Most people there are extremely warm and accepting from my experience, and it's just a very friendly atmosphere most of the time. It's not like Flint. We suck.

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It really depends on where you're going, but generally Canada's a pretty open place. Do you have an idea/preferrance on where you'll be? Canada's a prettttty big country (you are from UK, your country is smol XD). And what kind of work are you going to be doing?

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to be working in a school as an assistant teacher, but if I can't do that then I'll be looking at other working options.

I'd like for the children either to call me by my first name or Mx. [Last name]. It shouldn't be too hard to pronounce as it's pronounced 'Mix' but being able to ask people to call me that.

I'm going to Vancouver Island [smaller than UK].

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should have no problem being a little off the beaten path on Vancouver Island. The west coast in general is a generally freer place to be yourself than the mildly more uptight eastern or central parts of the country..

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha just a little smaller! XD The UK is smaller than Japan even. You should be okay, it might depend on the administration, but I doubt they'll have a problem. Outside of school, I doubt you'll have a problem at all.

Sidenote: if you need help with anything/get lonely, my bestie lives in Vancouver, not too far away! Just send me a PM and I can get you in touch! :slight_smile:

8. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Canada is generally very accepting, and it does differ a little bit depending on where you are in Canada. I'm in Alberta which is a more conservative province, but people here are still very accepting. You just don't see as many parades or places specifically for lgbt members. My university doesn't even have a lgbt support group.

As others have said, Vancouver is very lgbt friendly, as is Montreal and Toronto, I would say. In a more obvious and "in your face" kind of way. So you'll definitely be fine in Vancouver :slight_smile:

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im in newfoundland, if you're interested in a post secondary school for that experiece, Memorial University is quite LGBT friendly, there are several LGBT groups that work out of there from Pflag, to a Trans Support group, to LGBTMUN.