1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have come out as bisexual but I think I might be a lesbian. How do I tell people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aspiegirl, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Aspiegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Will they take me seriously?

2. cakepiecookie

Re: I have come out as bisexual but I think I might be a lesbian. How do I tell peopl

Why wouldn't they take you seriously? It's pretty common to come out as bi first, then later come out as gay, so it's just a matter of having the conversation. :slight_smile: And you don't have to be certain about it to say something - you can just say that you're questioning.

3. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: I have come out as bisexual but I think I might be a lesbian. How do I tell peopl

Hi Aspiegirl,

You know what? In my opinion, I think that since you have already told people that you are bisexual, it kinda implies that you are into girls. So, do you really need to tell them that now you feel like you may be a lesbian? Probably not. I mean you could if you feel like you should. After all there is a difference. Especially here in this community, we know that there is a BIG difference. But to most cis people, if you tell them you are bi, they will typically already assume you will be with another female at one point. And then, it's really letting your actions speak for you. If you exclusively start dating females, they will kinda get the picture. AND they will, indeed take you seriously along the way. So really it's a matter of time plus familiarity.

I hope that helps to some degree. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

4. Lyr

Lyr Guest

It's normal not to be totally sure and to change your mind on some points, you did your coming out as bi and they accepted it (?), then there is no problem. Also you're not obliged to put a permanent label on your sexual orientation ^^

5. devotions

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Well I was in the same boat, when I told my friends I'm lesbian they took me seriously.

6. nuggetbiscuit

They know that you like girls and if you are a lesbian it means you realised you barely like men or not at all. And it's not gonna be a problem if you go out with a girl. This is something they are already used to. Actually it doesn't matter what people think but you can just tell the people that really respect you and care about you, so they will be understanding.
    And your out status is "some people". So when you come out again as lesbian, there will be many people who doesn't know you identified yourself as bisexual. I think it's gonna be okay.

#6 nuggetbiscuit, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't think you need to tell anybody anything...just from this point forward if you want you can say you are a lesbian. People get way too hung up on all these labels anyway. Just be you and date who you want. Everything else is noise.

8. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning

I don't know if your friends might take you seriously, but you should come out to them for your own sake. You don't owe them an explanation as to why you came out as bisexual rather than a lesbian before, but if you feel the need to provide one, just stick with what you figured out in your questioning process.