1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar - How to know for sure??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Invidia, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I've had a bipolar diagnosis for some time and was prescribed an anti-epileptic medicine to counter my intense mood swings, which worked rather well against my extreme down moments (although it also took away the times when I was very driven and positive and stuff, which kind of sucks.) I saw a new psychiatrist today and explained that I hadn't taken any of my medicines for some time, and we agreed that I would start on this anti-epileptic drug again.

I don't know... I'm a person who's always very uncertain about everything. Is there any good way to find out if I really, truly have a bipolar disorder or if mood swings are just a part of my personality or whatever? Sorry if it's a weird or hard question.

2. killswitch0029

If you received a diagnosis from a professional it's highly likely that you are indeed bipolar. It's not like a cold where you can identify it on your own at home; only professionals can truly diagnose someone with any type of mental disorder.

3. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If a professional has diagnosed you chances are that you do in fact have bi-polar disorder. I am bi-polar and was diagnosed many years ago. (I also had extremely horrible mood swings, down moments, and some extremely high moments but that was also because of being bi-polar) If you are its very important to take the medication because people will severe forms of it do some crazy things sometimes. I currently take Lamictal and Paxil for mine and it helps very well. Was on Risperdone for awhile and it was great but I was taken off because of weight gain which happens with a lot of bi-polar meds sadly. Just bear in mind that most medication takes a few weeks for the effects of it to be seen. Good luck!

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks, killswitch and Lez. I'll go ahead with the medicine for now and see what happens and stuff...
    BTW, I think I have rapid-cycling bipolar in that case, since most of the time my mood can change over some days or weeks rather than months or half a year or so.

#4 Invidia, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that if a professional has diagnosed you, it's likely you are bipolar. However if you question this person's diagnosis, I'd recommend getting a second opinion. I also have bipolar disorder and had to hear it from 2 different doctors before I knew for sure that I had it.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Well, my (previous) psychiatrist gave me the diagnosis, but I'm kind of unsure because my therapist said she didn't think I seemed to be bipolar at all. Indeed, I don't fit the 'typical' type 1 profile. I might have some other form though, I don't know... Maybe it's a good idea to ask for a second opinion.

7. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really couldnt hurt if you are unsure. Another thing, dont start the medicine until you are sure. Certain types of medicines, if taken without a proper diagnosis, can actually kick-start bi-polar disorder. I know this because thats how I ended up. I was prescribed Lexapro for post-partum depression before I actually had post-partum depression to try to avoid it since I had it with all other pregnancies. The medicine actually helped kick-start me into being bi-polar.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Well, I'm only on a low dosage as of today. I think I'll wait with increasing the dosage until if/when I get an affirmative second opinion. I guess I might ask my new psychiatrist or the psychologist I'm going to be talking to.