1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At a lonely point in my life.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DaniLM, Apr 16, 2016.

1. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm at a lonely point in my life. It's difficult for me to admit, but I feel disconnected from most people. I'm still going out and doing things, I enjoy talking to people and listening, but it feels difficult to connect sometimes. I feel my friendships are lacking in something. I can feel anxious around people sometimes too, which doesn't help.

I've felt like this for a while now. Sometimes it's not so bad, but it can be upsetting.

I'm not in school at the moment and most of my friendships aren't working for me anymore anyway, there's been a lot of change. I know making friends is a process, I just feel low right now. I don't know where I'm going with this, just wondered if anyone else has been through something similar.

2. yuanzi

I also find it hard to make meaningful friendship most of the time. I do have a few close friends that I try my best to stay in touch with (we are all in different places) but that's about it. I feel most people are not willing or comfortable to get past the polite small talk stage, therefore making it very hard for me to really know or bond with them.

It is also difficult to maintain friendship when we get older and become more focused on building our own life, family, etc. It makes me a little bitter to think that one day most of my friends will probably be happily married with kids and will only call to wish me happy holidays :frowning2: Hopefully by then I will have my very own canine family to comfort me :slight_smile:

3. ChaserRZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am at this point right now. I have a wife and friends, but I don't feel like any of them are with me. I think I am looking for more in my life. I use to have no friends, and I would sit alone on my computer talking to online people, and that was lonely. Now I am an adult and I have friends and family, but I still feel lonely.

4. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yuanzi, at 28 I take it you're not in college or you've graduated? Or maybe you're working? How did you meet your close friends that you still keep in touch with?

And ChaserRZ that must be difficult, to feel like your family and friends aren't really with you. How did you find talking with online people? Did you make any quality friendships?

5. yuanzi

DaniLM, I am actually still in school for my phd program. I hope to graduate in a year or so (keeping fingers crossed). Graduate school right now does feel like working though because I don't take classes any more and most graduate students seem to be in their own little bubbles.

To answer your question, I did meet all my close friends through school (mostly when I was doing my masters program not in my current university). One was my roommate and all the others were classmates. We try to talk on the phone at least once every few weeks and we email too but it is definitely challenging with everyone busy.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey friendships can be tough to form. Why is it you feel you don't connect? Do you feel like you don't have things in common or you don't feel comfortable with them or they just don't get you or what?

Can I ask, how long have you been out? Are you out to your friends?

7. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I understand. I recently lost a good friend due to a falling out but honestly, with time, that hole in your heart does get filled with new people. Better people. People who will accept you and love you as you are.

8. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yuanzi, I can relate to that. I mean, I'm not in school right now so out of the loop with student life which can feel a bit isolating. And I imagine it can be difficult to maintain friendships when you're in different places. Do you mean your friends have left the country or are they working? Best of luck with your phd anyway. What are you studying?

And silverhalo, I think I'm at a point where so much has changed with me that I don't feel like I can relate to my close friends anymore. I feel like we've grown apart, doing different things, and what I need has changed. We hardly speak (that's my fault as well) and when we do I feel like something is lacking. I've accepted that I want to meet some new people and you're right, it can be tough. I've been out for 6 years, my friends know and they're accepting, half the time they forget. Have you been through something similar?

And thank you Foxfeather. I'm sorry you lost a close friend.

9. Sek

Sek

I'm the same to be honest with you. I have friends of course, but they're kind of like a little bit distant from me. Like, not always texting me or asking to hang out and stuff. There's one friend I'm really lucky to have cos we're so similar and have been friends for years, so I always have her. There's my boyfriend also who is the same story.

I feel like it's a vicious cycle, I'm defensive around people cos I don't want to feel rejected or come on too strong so I hold back, and then it comes across as stand-offish. Once you come across as that I find it's difficult to break that perception.

I definitely feel like my friendships are lacking in something. I think it's a problem connecting to people but it just doesn't always happen to me and it sucks. I'm trying my best to change it though.

10. yuanzi

DaniLM, my friends are still in this country but everyone is pursuing a different career path after graduation (different graduate schools or working in other cities). I am majoring in electrical engineering btw.

In general, if I try to keep a long distance (or even short distance) friendship, I can be very pushy at first. I will call/text my friends instead of waiting for them to make the first move. However, if there is a consistent lack of effort or interest from them, then I guess it is just time to move on. I am no expert though since I can count my good friends with one hand lol

11. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yuanzi, yeah, it's annoying when it's one sided. I imagine studying can take up a lot of time too, do you get much time off from studying? Or are you going all out seeing as you'll graduate in a year? Anyway, what's your city like? Is there much to do? If you're even in a city?

Sek, it's similar here. It's good you have a few people you're close with. I understand what you mean with coming across as standoffish though, it's a habit of mine as well. I know people are usually fine, it's me up in my head.

12. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it hard to relate to people in my real life so I dont have many people I actually talk to aside from family. Most of the people I have made friendships with are online and even then its not the same. I find it hard to get really close because Im afraid of being hurt and have trust issues from many failed friendships and being abandoned. Here if you ever need to talk.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I have experienced it to the extent you are feeling it as in I haven't felt it with all off my friends at once but I do think I've had the same feeling with a friend here or there. I think it happens to almost everyone from time to time, it's not always anyone's fault, people just drift apart. You say you are guilty of not contacting them as well but if you don't feel you are getting what you need out of the friendship then it's understandable you don't always contact them.
    Perhaps you could try and make some new friends, do you have any hobbies or could you join a club or something?

Someone once showed me this piece of writing and I really think it's true and it helped me when I felt like I had lost friends and couldn't understand why.

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

When you figure out which one it is,
    you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,
    it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
    They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
    to provide you with guidance and support;
    to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
    They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
    They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
    this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
    Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
    Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
    What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
    The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
    because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
    They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
    They may teach you something you have never done.
    They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
    Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
    things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
    Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
    and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
    It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

14. cakepiecookie

I've been there a few times. Sometimes things just feel stale and a bit depressing and blah. It sucks, but it passes. Usually when I'm feeling like that, it's a sign that I need to make some changes in my life and shake things up a bit.

15. yuanzi

DaniLM, unfortunately (or fortunately?) my work takes up most of my time so I am still occupied even when I am rather friendless. What is your situation like?

My town is very much a college town and it is full of really young (okay I am old lol) people. There is not much to do other than grabbing food and getting drunk. I don't drive so it is even more limited. My university does have a lot of social clubs but I don't know any graduate students who are very involved, or maybe it is just me? Hmm...

16. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you LoveMeLez, I appreciate it.

Silverhalo, yeah, I've got a few hobbies. There have been a lot of changes to my routine too and I feel that plays a part in it. I plan to try some groups as well. Thank you for showing me that piece of writing, it's helpful to have that perspective. Have you met any good friends through going to groups? Or how did you meet any good friends?

Cakepiecookie-that's a great username- and I think that's where I am too. Thanks for replying.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2016 at 01:46 PM ----------

yuanzi, I remember having phases like that when I was in school. Like work takes a higher priority, but it also felt good to be distracted as well. I'm working part time, taking time out from school, which can be good because I'm out and I have to talk to people. It's just a lot of change, from being in school, to working and interacting with people more. Out of my comfort zone, but it's alright so far, nobody has spat at me or anything in work. Also, there's stuff to do in my city, it's just finding the right place at the moment.

What kind of social clubs do they have at your university?

17. yuanzi

DaniLM, I actually did a search on my university's website and there are more than 1000 student organizations at my university.... we have more than 20,000 students so I guess it makes sense. Other than the cultural clubs/associations and the Greek letter organizations, most have to do with some type of hobby. The ones I am familiar with include the ballroom dancing club, the salsa club, the origami club and the running club.

It is good to be able to take a break from school if you feel you need it. Your work place sounds friendly so that's a plus. Do you think you will go back to school at some point? Also any plan for what you want to do for a living in the future?

PS: I do have my weekly fun activity. I volunteer at the local spca and I get to spend 2-3 hours of quality time with the pups every Saturday. So many ear scratches and belly rubs!(!)

18. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yuanzi, Origami club sounds good, I attempted making a swan once but it just looked like it'd given up. Have you tried the salsa clubs, etc? I plan to try some clubs in my city, just wondering what your experience has been like with them, if you've tried.

And as for school yes, I want to go back, maybe sometime this year or next year. I want to do something design related. Graphic design is the plan, but first I want to travel. I want to work abroad as well. How about you anyway? Do you have a job lined up at the end of graduating?

Volunteering with spca sounds great! What are the people like where you volunteer?

19. yuanzi

DaniLM, when I was at a different university in another city I took some dancing classes offered by its ballroom club members and it was actually a lot of fun. However we always had a group of nerdy engineers going at the same time so it was not intimidating at all. I went to my current university's salsa night once and it was fun too but very intimidating. Most people were young and super dolled up so yeah.... I guess if you want to join the more relaxing social clubs, try something that's for all ages. Young people are scary (to me)! :badgrin:

You seem to have a lot of plans regarding school and work. Good for you! Graphic design sounds cool too. Are you more interested in designing static images or animations? As for me, nope I don't and I am really torn between trying for academia and industry but we will see...

My spca buddies are mostly old ladies. No kidding. Most of them are retired teachers or other local residents but we do have a few college kids too. Everyone seems cool and very relaxed and non-judgmental. It makes sense though since volunteers for animal-related nonprofits are generally very open-minded.

20. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I remember wanting to join surf club and feeling a bit like that. Do you think you'll try the salsa group again? I guess you could go for Origami club as plan B?

At the moment, more into static work, but animation looks cool. I'd like to try it out. I love illustration though, that's what I want to focus on at the moment. All the best with whatever you decide to do. Do you want to/ have you travelled at all?

And your volunteer group sounds great, puppies included!

#20 DaniLM, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016