1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uniform and Names... Ugh

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pumpion, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Pumpion

At my school the uniform is very strictly segregated between a 'boys uniform' and a 'girls uniform' based on what we were assigned at birh (and what everyone assumes we identify with). Being AFAB, of course I have to wear the girls uniform, but I would prefer to wear the boys uniform, I just like pants!
    Does anyone have any advice for talking to my school about getting permission to wear the boys uniform or (possibly) change the uniform policy for everyone to make it more accepting of all genders? The school counselor is supportive of me being non-binary and would possibly help me with proposing the change, so that's possibly a supporting factor.
    Also I feel like I want to change my name to something more neutral/masculine. I've already come up with the name (Ezra), and I think it sounds really cool, how do I tell people 'hey, this is my name now', even though it's not legally changed? (I only decided I wanted to be called Ezra a few days ago.)

2. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel you with the uniform situation, I have to wear a dress in summer, and a skirt in winter, and it just sucks so much. You can approach the school with your parents and talk to them about making the uniform more inclusive for everyone?

Hopefully that was useful, but yea know that im in the same situation and it really really does suck.

3. Pumpion

When I told my parents I was non-binary they pretty much said to me 'you only have two years of school left, try to deal with it', so they're not really very helpful in that respect. They also don't understand the concept of gender dysphoria and don't really want to understand, they just say 'why can't you just accept and love your body as it is' whenever I talk about chest binding or stuff like that.

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ask your counsellor for help, they'll probably know more about the school, district, or government's stance on uniforms and acceptance of trans students. There might already be policy in place that you just don't know about. If not, your counsellor can still help you approach the principal for special permission.

As for your name, just ask. Ask your friends, teachers, parents, and anyone else, "hey, can you call me Erza from now on?" If you feel the need to justify yourself just say it suits you better or something.

Good luck!

5. Pumpion

Just a tiny update, I told my main group of online friends 'hey, I want you guys to call me Ezra' (except it came out in a word soup but w/e) and the two that were online have already started :grin: It feels so good being called Ezra, I love it and it just feels even more right than when I started saying it to myself. Next up: one of my other online friends for name and pronouns, and then my closest irl friend for name and a reminder for pronouns

6. randomconnorcon

I think the best thing to start with is talking to your school counsellor. They should at least have the facts, even if they can't help you with everything.

Ezra is such a cool name. :grin:

7. Pumpion

I know right, one of my friends said it sounds like a "kickass royal knight person", I think it sounds like a rock star name, but however you think of it, I think it's a really cool name that makes me sound cooler than I actually am XD I'm looking forward to hearing it irl at an event I hope to go to next week :grin:

8. Ryujin

Mfw I'm the opposite situation.