1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got grounded for coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Darkfall, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Darkfall

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm serious, I came out to my parents and they took my phone away??? ????? They cut my contact with anyone who supported me as lgbt+ so I wouldn't follow the "gay trend"

Please help :help::tears:

2. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we can't really help you. :wink:

I know being grounded is irritating, moreover in such case. Just remember to not do anything overly emotional. You and them need to calm down before talking again.

Since you've got internet access, look out for more materials about "born this way" or heteronormativity (how it's normal for children to know their het sexuality vs nonhet that can't know).

Stay strong.

3. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's sucks!!!

But you do have to know that sometimes parents are just wrong. Sometimes parents make mistakes. But I agree with the other poster in the sense you need to avoid talking to them until you can discuss it without anger and emotion. You need to talk to them when you can discuss it in a logical and rational fashion. You don't want to make matters worse.

4. MS001

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That must have been really hard. It sucks when your parents can't accept your identity at the outset. How's it going now?

5. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't believe they grounded you! So dumb, mean and dumb. I hope they come to their senses soon.

6. ANerdWhoCares

Normally, I try my absolute HARDEST to put myself in the mindset of a conservative father, so I can attempt to understand how they feel, and give advice on how to ease the pain for both them and their kids, BUT NOT THIS TIME!

Trying to oppress your LGBT+ child and PREVENT them from getting help and support elsewhere is a big N-O in my books! My advice; put up a facade, pretend that you're still straight, and that they were right in suspiscion that it was just a phase-trend. They likely won't lift their LGBT boycott, but that should help get the grounding over with faster. Once there, branch out to whomever else is close to you; best-friends, aunts/uncles, guidance counselor, teacher, hell, it may be Florida, but there's gotta be somewhere you can go to without raising suspicion from your parents.

I hope my advice helps, or maybe it's total crap, I don't know, I get hotheaded around incidents like these, and might've ended up saying something stupid... :/

7. guitar

Your parents are rather sucky people by the sounds of it. Would they ground you for being left handed? What about if you came home with a cancer diagnosis? Grounding someone because of who they are is simply stupid.

I'm really sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully with time your parents will come around to who you really are instead of living in delusional fantasy land they've created for themselves. I would recommend trying to get them to go to a PFLAG meeting or perhaps showing them the movie Prayers for Bobby.

8. YeahpIdk

That's RIDICULOUS!! I'm sorry that happened to you. Are they crazy or are you safe there for the most part? I'd do some absurdly gay things around the house, but DON'T do anything that can put you in danger.

Sending you lots and lots of hugs. This will pass. Someday, they will feel stupid as all heck. Stay safe and do not feel bad about yourself. This is their problem. And a senseless one at that.

9. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    -hugs- Im sorry it didnt go as planned. Im a mother and Id hope in a situation like this that I could be a very good support to my child if they came to me about their sexuality. I know that sometimes its hard to process for some people and it sucks that we are in 2016 and all these changes are happening but things like this are still going on. I agree with the other posters that you should let things die down and then try to talk to them again. When I came out to my dad it was really hard. My friends advised me to write a letter to him and explain who I was and how I was feeling. It was the hardest letter to ever write but once I gave it to him I felt much better about myself. I knew even if he didnt accept me that I had done my best. Maybe you can try that for your parents?

10. Nobo

Your pArents are assholes

11. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no, that's terrible. And a "gay trend?" What exactly is that supposed to mean?

12. gabjiao

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my advice is try to finish school first, or whenever you can take care of yourself you can go full OUT of the closet. You just got to survive first.

And I know that it is hard but try to focus on something else first. like school or dream jobs. And when you are independent enough you can be honest with your parents.

Your lucky it is just grounded. some kids get beaten up. :frowning2: