1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Came Out to 5 People, and How They Reacted

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Dingdang, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A while back in July 2015, I met this girl in a summer camp, and we've been good friends ever since. I told her via e-mail on August 30, 2015, that I'm transgender, and she has been extremely supportive.

Two days ago on Friday, April 8, 2016 CE, I decided to come out to my family today. I'd tell my younger brother first.

So today, Sunday, April 10, 2016 CE, I told my brother, and he accepted my being transgender. He was a bit surprised at first, but he understands me now.

I then told my parents at dinner, and they were rather calm. My father stayed relatively quiet during the conversation, and he consistently agreed with what my mother had to say. Basically, she said that she has no choice but to accept, but still believes that I am too young to be sure of my gender identity. I tried to convince her that I was sure, but she said I'm not mentally mature enough to be serious. However, she does agree with me to see a psychiatrist or a therapist soon.

I recorded everything on video, but my dad did not allow me to upload anything to YouTube. He then secretly took away and hid the memory card of the camera I used, and he refused to give it back to me. He said that the conversation was to remain private, and he discouraged me from speaking with my brother again about this topic.

They also pointed out that I can't ignore science. They said that it's unnatural to be transgender, and that I should accept myself for who I was born as and not try to change who I'm supposed to be.

The reaction was a bit mixed, but I believe that my parents would eventually accept me over time. Many people are worse off than I am, so I'm rather thankful that nothing too bad happened.

Later, I told my friend and classmate, Andrew, online, and his response was very positive and caring. I wasn't scared at all, since I was already brave enough to come out to my family.

I am optimistic, and I hope your coming out will also go well! :icon_bigg

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully your parents will become more supportive as the find out more about the subject.
    Going to a good therapist will help both you and them.

You are one brave girl! (*hug*)

3. Oh Lilac

I'm glad that you are doing well, and hope that it continues! I hope you'll find a great therapist who will listen to you, and not try to pressure you in any way. Best wishes.

4. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Got here from your post on the main forum. Good for you! I imagine it would be really hard to come out when it's not only your gender identity that isn't "Normal", but also your sexuality. Props to you for your confidence!! <3