1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Myself?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by afgirl, Apr 10, 2016.

1. afgirl

I think I missed a critical step. Basically just jumping straight (pardon the pun) into a lesbian relationship with feelings I didn't know existed. The thing is, I failed to really look at myself, since I was so enthralled with this person who just completely got me from day 1. I think back on every single one of my hetero relationships and realize I was never ever myself. Everything seems so natural, so completely normal with her. I don't worry about what she thinks or how she views me. She doesn't care if my body's not perfect. I'm not sure if the men cared, but I was so concerned that they cared. Little things like that.

I've even figured out what kind of woman I'm attracted to, which until very recently I denied was possible. BTW, it's somewhat of a soft butch. I never really thought about it until we were in the lesbian bar and my gf asked me what kind of women there I felt I could be attracted to. So, since I started on here, I've decided that I'm not just attracted to my gf but attracted to women in general. First and foremost, I must feel a connection to someone, but I realize now that if this relationship doesn't work out I probably would end up with another woman. Strange to actually realize that.

I guess the bottom line is even though I felt different, I still have issues to work through and a lot of self-discovery. So....I guess I'm working on coming out to myself.

2. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi! Lol, I laughed at the straight pun.

Coming out to ourselves is big. For me that's where I started. I envy you such so close, connected relationship. It is a process, I have a way to go.

I'm attracted to soft butch women too, I only recently realised, should have realised long ago lol. Until recently I hadn't realised.

Hope I meet someone, can't see it at the moment though!

3. afgirl

Well, I have dated men forever and just nothing ever seemed right. I tried everything and just never felt a connection. I didn't want to be with someone just for the sake of being with someone. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I was always sure that when I found him, I would know. Turns out, it wasn't a him after all.