1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant sleep after sports

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by JackAttack, Apr 10, 2016.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I play football and Kickboxing in the evenings during the week and whenever I try to sleep afterwards I cant and I just lie there wide awake. This then makes me feel exhausted when I have to get up early for work the next day.

Anyone know what I can do to sleep better?

#1 JackAttack, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  2. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking up different ways to practice good sleep hygiene might help, but honestly, working out can make your blood pressure and heart rate much higher than normal and that makes it VERY difficult to sleep right afterwards. getting into bed when you're not likely to sleep just furthers your brain's association with the bed being a place where you don't go to sleep, but rather it becomes the place where your brain thinks "oh, I'm in bed, that must mean it's time to sit here wide awake!"

3. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As jack explained its completely normal.

On a scientific level, it is because your nor-epinephrine/adrenaline levels are elevated when you work out, and it takes time for your body to process the influx of that neurotransmitter back to a non-elevated level in your brain. (I have ADHD mainly caused by an excess of nor-epinephrine, so I have spent hundreds of hours researching this subject)

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe walk at a slow pace for about ten minutes, and then do something to calm you down. Like reading a book, drawing, or meditating. Whatever you like to do that's relaxing.

5. LHecW

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am exactly the same after kickboxing - the only way I've managed to get it sorted is by having about an hour after I get home to just go slow before going to bed. No rush, no stress.... just need to let my body calm down and relax before actually going to bed.

Never get the same sort of after-effect from running though :?