1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on how to come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Vulpes, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Vulpes

Right, so i've been thinking of coming out to two of my closests friends. I've known since i was 7 and trust them with most things but I'm worried about this because of things they've told me...
    One of them has straight up said he was homophobic to me before and later told me he had changed his mind about gay people but i think he only said this so i wouldn't be pissed at him because even though they think I'm straight they both know I'm quite liberal.
    The other has told that if he saw two guys kissing he would instantly leave the room.
    I understand being uncomfortable around something like that, but i do plan on having a boyfriend or two after i come out and i have to wonder if my friend will stop hanging out with me in case he saw something like this.
    I want to come out my friends but im scared that they'll disown me if i do. What do you think i should do?

2. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they will be disgusted and leave, let them go. Unless they will be willing to work on their prejudices, don't waste time with them. Doesn't matter how long you know them. No need to have close people lgbtphobic and not accepting of you.

Come out casually and see their reaction.

3. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    This happened to me as well.
    In my experience, my friends thought I would want to date them? Which was not the case, but it might help to make the difference clear. You could maybe say it as you leave one of their houses? Honestly, dropping it into a conversation and then carrying on the conversation worked out well for me.
    If they don't get over it on the first go, they might later :slight_smile:
    Good luck!
    - Ace

4. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've read that some people who aren't accepting of lgbt people and find out their friend is lgbt, come to accept it (I'm not sure if it's true tho, I haven't personally experienced it). You should still come out to them, because if they're really your friends, they will accept you for who you are and not who you love. I wish you good luck! ^^

5. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Look up on YouTube "Coming out song" and click on the one by Ally Hills. The song says "Gay", so afterwards, say, "But like, bisexual."