1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big fat gay wedding or quiet ceremony?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Calf, Apr 7, 2016.

?

What wedding do you want?

1. Big fat gay wedding

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Quiet personal ceremony

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  3. Don't want to get married/ civil union etc

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Some other option

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was having a discussion with a friend about how me and my boyfriend are considering marriage but after nearly 15 years of being together we don't want to have an actual wedding. Neither of us are interested in making a fuss of it and don't really feel it's something we need to share but my friend thinks that's awful because it excludes family and friends and is a bit sad.
    So what do you think? What do you want, a big fat gay wedding for everyone you know or just a quiet ceremony for the two of you?

2. guitar

Why not do a quiet ceremony and then invite some people out for a party at a restaurant or something? Why waste a ton of cash on a party? You guys have already been together for a long time, if you're not into a huge wedding, why have one? Do what feels comfortable and natural.

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good idea to maybe invite close friends and family to a meal after and do a sort of 'just married coming out speech'. That way I could still put a wedding gift list on the back of each menu :grin:

4. RyFastForward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Apparently I may not vote on this poll, so I'll just tell you. Other: My mum recons I should have an ABBA themed wedding, but I think somewhere in between the first options. Righ now though, it's bith illegal and the last of my problems

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My preferred wedding regardless of the partner's gender or sex:
    Sign the marriage license at the courthouse/townhall or whatever, one of us blows the noisemaker thing once, the other throws some rice, and then we leave.

#5 Browncoat, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't fancy a Klingon ceremony then :icon_wink

That sounds like the wedding I want, except without the noisemaker and rice. Or even better, just some kind of online form.

7. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I'm not a going outside and doing things person so... I'm pretty sure if I got married I'd want a quiet and private ceremony-ish thing, maybe just a casual little celebration thingy, or just nothing and some rings. I don't think it would be 'sad' in the slightest. Just relaxed, and nice.
    My family probably would be against not doing much for my wedding, but I wouldn't really consider them. Not in a rude way just... It's not really their choice.
    I also wouldn't be at all comfortable having a day revolving around... well... me. And her, of course.
    I mean, I hate just simple birthdays because of the pressure, i would hate to see my reaction to a huge wedding !
    So, it also depends on what you two would be comfortable with.
    Plus, big weddings cost quite a sum of money...
    Just do it the way you want, the other people in your lives shouldn't really have any control over what you do. It's your decision.
    And, whoa, 15 years, huh ? That's quite some time !
    Anyway, good luck on whatever you may choose~ ♪(´∪`●)ゝ

#7 Bobsleigh1, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That is my one and only exception and I am wholly pleased to hear you mention it. :lol:

As to your friend, well, I think you know where I'd stand. So as to not be offensive I'll just leave at --> it's your wedding, do what you and your partner would like to do with it.

9. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't want a traditional wedding, but I know that a wedding of some sort is important to some people. Part of me wishes I could be a woman walking down the aisle in a white dress (I remember a dream where my AMAB self was actually the one who had the bride's role in a marriage, but he was still dressed in a black suit), but part of me doesn't really care and just wants some sort of declaration of love for a partner.

10. Cedar

I think it really depends on whoever I decide taking that commitment with. I haven't really given this much thought... Maybe have something that's a mix of gothic and nerdy? I'd rather have a private ceremony first and after I get whatever forms I need, maybe have the gothic/nerdy party and only invite close friends and family...? I don't know, it would really have to depend on the person I'm marrying.

11. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I only want the people closest to me at my wedding. I'm not into having a huge, fancy, expensive wedding with family members I haven't spoken to in years and have to worry about whether or not everyone is enjoying themselves.

I basically already have the venue picked out haha. I want to have a 3 day long wedding, in nature, at a "glamping" resort, where we could spend time together doing things like horse back riding, kayaking, and hiking during the day and lounging by a fire pit at night drinking wine and eating appetizers. Just a nice weekend out with my closest friends and family, with the ceremony and reception one afternoon/evening.

To me a wedding should be about spending time with those that are closest to you while making the ultimate commitment to another human being.

#11 Aerin, Apr 7, 2016
  12. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I'd like a quiet ceremony myself, sometimes I do find myself wanting a "big fat wedding"- if that means standing over an arch surrounded by my family and my closest friends, saying our vows and then having a wedding reception afterwards. If I'm going to be extremely happy for one day, I'd definitely want to share it with the people who I care about deeply. A wedding is a ceremony and a celebration anyway, so why not?

#12 radicalmuffins, Apr 7, 2016
  13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, remember it is your choice. If you and your boyfriend want to have some quiet cerimony, then that's what you should do.

In my case, i would want to throw a big party. But nothing like these standard weddings, with a priest, and colorful things, happy symbols and boring photos, etc. I would want barrels of beer, lots of food, folk music, and viking hats. People laughing, burping, yelling, and everyone having a good time! A party to remember!

I'm not joking. And i'm mad enough to do it.

14. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't exactly want to get married, but if I were to I'd definitely want it to be just a quiet, casual ceremony.

This, very much this.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I got married I would probably invite my parents and I would let my husband invite a couple of people but I would like to keep things small because what I would really like would be a luxurious wedding.

16. Radiant Memory

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A huge wedding in a garden sounds great. Oh and a few dolphins and doves would make it just great, but any wedding would be cool if it's with someone you love.

17. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not a Trekkie but Klingon vows are the most beautiful thing.

I voted 'other' because of semantics over the word "ceremony". XD Screw a ceremony, if I ever get married, I just want to pull out the marriage contract over a family dinner, sign it, and move on to dessert. Done.

Thing is, my family not only knows this, but is okay with it. My sister always jokes that she'll have to plan a wedding for me to actually have one and my dad bent over laughing when his wife asked what kind of wedding dress I'd wear. :grin:

18. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel indifferent about weddings, so I'd just go with whatever would make my partner happy. :slight_smile: I just care about the person I'm marrying/spending my life with.

19. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not a gay wedding, but one that will undoubtedly still be perceived as one by a lot of people.

My girlfriend is trans, and I would want at least a decent-sized gathering of family and friends with a proper ceremony. Only problem is that her family would be entirely or mostly absent from it; none of them accept her as female. They still see her and talk to her, but continue to treat her as male while ignoring any statements she makes to the contrary. She has not mentioned me to any of them except her mother, who divorced her father after coming out as lesbian and was disowned by her family, and such a revelation would probably lead to her being disowned as well since they could no longer pretend she wasn't trans or at least gay. Even her mother won't accept her as her daughter; she and her partner insist there are other psychological reasons why her "son" believes "he" is a girl. She has certain gifts that she was meant to give to her oldest daughter; she has not passed them on, because in her words: "I had three sons; I did not have a daughter."

So, I'd have a proper ceremony, but the entire role of the bride's family would have to be changed around due to their complete absence. I'd say most of it would still work though, and I wouldn't insist on any specific structure. Also, I like most of my family members and I like gathering people together and catching up after long absences.

#19 DRex, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  20. Nikky DoUrden

Dont really wanna get married unless its for the benefits which then I dont mind and then its obviously a small quiet one \o/