1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has political correctness gone too far?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'm_Danni_x, Apr 7, 2016.

1. I'm_Danni_x

What's your opinion on this?

2. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's gone too far.

Only not, in instances of derogatory terms being corrected.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. If people are getting attacked for using the word "transgendered" or "gays", or conservatives get bomb threats when they try to speak on campus (like milo yiannopoulos), political correctness has gone too far. It's just a mental exercise to entertain yourself with while pretending you're actually helping women and minorities, but it just makes us look like a joke.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. It hasnt gone far enough.

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Replace "political correctness" with "treating people with respect" and ask that question again. Has treating people with respect gone too far?

I think not.

6. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god yes. In this society it is hard to have your own opinion on something slightly controversial without being shunned. Look at all these students idiotically 'no-platforming people' with little to no reason. It has gone too far.

Here is a link to an example of this. Someone was no platformed for being islamophobic, even though he is a strong and long term chief executive of a group that is trying to COUNTER racism and fascism: http://www.independent.co.uk/studen...d-by-nus-for-being-islamophobic-a6881831.html

#6 Nordland, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  7. Ashley2103

Definitely.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohhhhh! We're posting videos and articles now are we? OK:

[YOUTUBE]m-UmE_O22sc[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, you see, when you say that political correctness has gone too far, you are allowing racism, homophobia and all other types of bigotry room to breath. So, round of applause for everyone who thinks that political corectness has gone too far :eusa_clap:eusa_clap - I'm sure you think you deserve it.

#8 Robert, Apr 7, 2016
  9. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say yes. While I don't agree with blatant hate mongering, I feel in a lot of ways people are becoming wayyyyyy too overly sensitive about some things. It is almost like some people are just looking for the next thing to be "grossly offended" by. Sometimes people just need to develop a slightly thicker skin.

10. blightedsight

Yes, I agree - like those who want to be offended by 'political correctness', or as I like to call it, basic human decency and tolerance.

11. smurf

Most people who are upset by "political correctness" are people who aren't used to listening to minorities having a voice.

Listen, hateful people have always existed. The only difference now is that minorities are speaking back and saying "knock it off, you sound like a complete asshole"

If you complain about political correctness you are really saying "I wish I didn't have to think about how my actions affect others. Respecting people is too hard and I wish I could go back to a time where I didn't have to think about it"

12. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An aspect I disagree on with this is that yes I do think political correctness goes too far sometimes. However, that doesn't mean I don't respect people or think that they shouldn't be heard or anything. By hiding beneath the veil of "polutical correctness" is basically like saying "my opinion is more valid than yours, and as such if I don't agree, you have no right to speak it".
    Free speech, for good or bad, doesn't mean that it has to be *popular* speech. And just because you may not agree with someone else's opinions does not mean that their right to voice themselves is somehow invalidated.
    Furthermore, I in no way endorse racism, sexism, homophobia (duh) or any of those ridiculous concepts. But I'm not brazen enough to claim being so self righteous that another person needs to change their opinions to fit my will. I simply don't associate with such people.

#12 angeluscrzy, Apr 7, 2016
  13. blightedsight

No, its not. Its stating, I am a human being and don't deserve to be treated in such a way that causes me offence just because you believe that you are free to do or say whatever you like.

Trying to pair it with "freedom of speech" argument is just a very typical nonsense argument to continue behaving in a way that any decent human being wouldn't.

By the way, if someone is racist, sexist, homophobic or any of the other "ridiculous concepts", its not self-righteous to tell them they are wrong and should change their opinion, because their opinion is abhorrent, it is wrong. Those opinions shouldn't be something that are tolerated merely as some asinine attempt to protect some perceived misunderstanding of "freedom of speech". You still have that with basic human decency and tolerance*, but that doesn't absolve you from being held accountable for what you say.
    "Freedom of Speech" isn't the "freedom to discriminate without repercussion".

*because 'political correctness' is a nonsense term that people choose to mean whatever they see fit.

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think it depends. Sometimes it's an effective way to strangle harmful use of privilege, while at other times it just serves to take the life out of life.

15. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's one thing to call out someone who uses language, actions, or rhetoric that is harmful, ignorant, or disrespectful of someone else. It's another to police people in areas that aren't yours, without knowing the boundaries that community sees as respectful.

For example:
    White girl wears bindi as a fashion statement. BAD (because it's a religious and cultural symbol). White girl that follows Hinduism, Buddhism, or Jainism wears bindi. OK.

White girl wears kimono as a fashion statement. OK. Why? Because it's a dress, with no religious connotations, and Japanese people love to see foreigners embracing their culture.

Other white people calling out aforementioned white girl in a kimono for cultural appropriation? BAD. Because now you are speaking for a people, against what they would've said, in "their defense".

Another example:
    Person A (let's go with white again) and Person B (black) are hanging out. Person C comes over and offers Person B a slice of watermelon. Person A freaks out about stereotyping and calls Person C a racist. Person B is talked over while actually wanting the watermelon, because watermelon is delicious.

There's a line, and some people just don't know where it is. I've been called out a couple times for saying something 'racist', but never by anyone who wasn't white. In fact, the most recent times, poc friends have defended what I said. :/ Realistically, some people do take political correctness too far.

16. guitar

Political correctness has gone off the deep end.

17. Elli

I think so in a way. If you take the whole Caitlyn Jenner thing as an example, I feel like nobody necessarily thought about Bruce Jenner, nor cared about him, then he/she comes out as transgender and everybody has to show how supportive they are by making a LAAARGE deal out of it.
    It's a big deal in a way, but I feel like people tend to exaggerate on this, in my opinion it would be better if being who you are wasn't such a large deal, just something natural.

18. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. I liked the South Park episode where this was addressed. Everyone giving Stan crap all because he didn't see her as such a "hero".

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trump speaks in turds. He has uttered "political correctness" as going too far, coming from him, and the likes of him, "political correctness" is a turd.

On more than one occasion, this easy, cheap, lazy and corrupting accusation of "political correctness" has been laid against anyone trying to change things for the better, usually at the expense of the privileged. It has been thoroughly discredited by its bloviation from the mouths of pretty much every conservative right-wing hack show host and republican politician, all of this going back to the first President Bush when it was his big new idea.

I have no problem railing against zealots and "true-believers" on both sides of the political spectrum, there are excesses that need to be called out, but if someone uses "political correctness", I pretty much know where they stand on that spectrum. There are older, better, living, breathing, and more accurate words to describe them, enough with the kinds of expressions, such as this one, into which you can pour any lame-ass idea that suits you.

#19 greatwhale, Apr 7, 2016
  20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question is too broad to give a meaningful answer to.

There's a saying (don't know whose)... "For those who have privilege, equality feels like discrimination." And for those living with privilege there's another analogy: a fish living in the ocean doesn't experience the water."

In a nutshell, if you are part of a dominant class, it can be easy to miss the oppression of subordinated classes. So the -isms are real things, and they can be difficult to understand why it isn't so simple to solve the issues, and isn't something that's "already resolved."

THAT SAID... I think the ridiculousness with professors not being able to present lectures with uncomfortable or controversial issues or viewpoints because some students get "triggered" is a load of crap, and the hyper-sensitivity that many of these students claim to feel to some issues (not so much the ones above) is beyond ridiculous. The world is not a coddling place where you can go up to everyone and expect them to acquiesce to your personal and self-indulgent sensitivities, and I feel like we are doing people an enormous disservice when we further that sort of agenda. So in that way, I absolutely agree that political correctness has gone way beyond reasonable respect and mutual understanding.