1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the queer community full of atheists?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think atheists amongst the LGBT community might seem a bit normal for me. It's not that uncommon to see that they have some sort of animosity towards any kind of religion because of their experiences coming out and, constantly being told that a part of who you are is unnatural and wrong. I think it can create quite a few scars that can't be healed. It's not always the case but it could be for that very reason. For some other people, they just don't believe in religions at all.
    Should people, especially LGBT people, judge you for that? No. And if they do, they're just simply being narrow minded assholes. You shouldn't have to feel restricted to who you're dating, regardless of what religion you both practice. If you're not comfortable with dating people who are atheist, it's cool, you're entitled to that. You want to find someone who's just as spiritual? you're also entitled to that. That's your right. Not sure about the characters or personality types that atheist gather, but i'm pretty sure you can't let one person fuck it up for the rest.

2. Vav

Vav Guest

Overly logical people who treat logic and science like a religion. I'm also scared that atheists will try to change my beliefs.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, would you try to change an atheist's beliefs if you dated one? Not everyone with the opposite beliefs of their partner tries to change them.

4. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You describe my type :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Possibly off-topic, but I've found many more vocal religious trans women than gay men. I wonder if it has something to do with one being associated with a "deviant" act, while the other is more of a state of being, and less religious vitriol aimed their way, being more "invisible".

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried hard to be an atheist when I was young (13-16 maybe)...it just made sense. But I couldn't quite manage not believing in something I could *feel* in my heart.

Anyway...I have enjoyed seeing this thread here, because from EC's "Cover Page", it shows up as:

"Is the queer community full of..." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I had to pick a label, I guess I'd be agnostic too. I believe we just don't know all there is to know. People's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, have never really bothered me though. It is more of how they apply those beliefs. I've met both good people and (a lot) bad people from both sides of the spectrum.

8. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My religious beliefs have nothing to do with my queer status. I'm an atheist because I don't believe that there is a godor higher power, end of. Not because the queer community gets so much hate from religion. Even if I wasn't queer I'd still be an atheist.

There are probably a lot of LGBT atheists and agnostics because we've seen how much religion has destroyed our community but I don't necessarily think they're always linked. Atheism is becoming a lot more common in general. You don't have to date someone with the same religious/spiritual beliefs as you. There's no rule that states that. So you don't have to pretend to believe in/be anything that you're not. If you don't feel comfortable dating someone without a religion then don't. That's fine. I'd suggest keeping your mind open though and not shutting people down as soon as they say they're an atheist.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, in a healthy relationship, no one will actually try to change you or your beliefs. So in this hypothetical situation where you're dating an atheist who tries to change you, the problem lies with this person and your relationship, not with atheists and atheism.

That being said, it is totally valid to have preferences and certain standards for dating, and you don't have to date an atheist if their beliefs don't make sense to you- there are plenty of theists in the LGBT community so though it may be harder to find someone, they're out there.

10. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a person of faith, but I'm not concerned that an athiest will change, or even try to change my beliefs by the supposed logic of their arguments. Bring it on, I say. :slight_smile: If Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens couldn't win me over, I'm confident that nobody else will.

In actual fact, I'm keen to hear the arguments that athiests put forward against religion (providing they do it with reasonable courtesy) because it makes me think more deeply and carefully about my own beliefs. If they are arrogant and obnoxious though, I'm not even going to listen.

Can I understand why so many people within the LGBT community are non-religious? Of course I can. Religious people (not just Christians) hold some appalling views towards our community and they have done a great deal of harm, so it's no surprise that athiesm is more pronounced.

11. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am gay and I'm atheistic (actually the atheistic end of the agnostic spectrum) about a personal God and agnostic (at the theistic end) about an impersonal God. But on the whole I'm agnostic with the tendency to believe in an impersonal God! Yes being gay did change my faith. But it was more in terms of making me question what society has been telling me. When I questioned a lot of things I realised I've just been accepting what the society has been telling me! Religion was one of them. So yes many lgbt folk tend to stray away from religion on similar lines. But religion or faith is a personal journey that you walk alone. Others do influence your path but it is very hard to shake the core of your beliefs. So don't worry about your partner changing you. At the same time be open to change. Once we stop changing we stop progressing. So don't worry too much about it!

12. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im not sure whats wrong with logic and science... i think id rather date a logical person than someone who is illogical, but that beside the point. Not all atheists try converting just as not all religious people try converting atheists. I think its extremely prejudicial to lump all atheists together as well.
    If you truely believe in your religion, i dont think that someone trying to convert you would be a big issue. I know id let someone spend all the time they want trying to convert me... i wouldnt because i have my values and beliefs, someone trying to convert me, whom im causually dating, wouldnt change shit

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Compared to the majority of other communities, yeah. Right up there with the groups "highly educated" and "people who consider themselves very liberal."

Although it would probably be more fair to say there are a larger number of "generally skeptical and irreligious" people than there are solidly atheistic people.

#33 Browncoat, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  14. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    btw Thanks Invidia to accept my friendship :3...

I don't believe in god (the old guy with beird and more powers than Goku or Superman) but i mixed some things from different sources, the taoism, catholicism, Science and random stuff... I end up with a kind of *god* but it's more like the energy that moves everything (life), that's *god* for me...

And for the other way, it's like other users here say, you don't have to block your mind, you never know if the love of your life is an atheist, and if that is the case all you have to do is accept him/she or whatever and try both to understand the point of the other... By the way never have discussions that can lead to a verbal fight, cause the main point is to accept and understand a different perspective that others can give you (we all know about this, cause all of us here are LGBTQI :thumbsup: )... Love and peace

#34 AyaseKishimoto, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016