1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the queer community full of atheists?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

I'm pretty spiritual(not religious) and I'm just not sure if I'd be happy dating an atheist. To me it seems like the queer community is full of atheists and skeptics. I'm just so scared of having no one to date. I can easily pretend to be an atheist and skeptic, I just feel empty inside when I do.

2. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There are not that many edgy atheists that abborre the idea of someone being a theist or spiritualist. I would never advise anyone to pretend to be someone they are not.
    Since religion is one of the most common "arguments" against homosexuality or any kind of LGBT rights, those in the LGBT community start to have doubts about what they believe in.
    Just dont worry about that. Dont pretend, be yourself, you'll find someone that accepts, be them atheist, theist or something in the middle.

3. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a Christian and I'm gay. I don't see why the two have to be separate. But I also have a very forward strong personality. I don't allow people to give me shit. I don't allow people to give my friends shit. I'm real good in an augment and have a way of making ignorant people feel stupid. The queer community has allowed the Christian community to drive them away. I'm sure God is appalled. Be true to yourself and your beliefs and you will find someone to share your life with. By the way I was an atheist before I met my wife. Yes a lesbian introduced me to Christ. And we are surrounded by a Christian community who loves and supports our family.

4. killswitch0029

I'm a former Catholic but my choosing to leave the religion had nothing to do with me being gay; it was simply because I didn't and still don't feel the need to practice any form of religion.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still consider myself Catholic even though I identify as gay.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, there are a lot of atheists in the LGBT community. It makes sense considering that most religions condemn and reject homosexuality and other forms of LGBT. Most of the anti-LGBT forces in the world right now are religious-based, including many of the anti-LGBT laws being passed in the United States right now. Religions choose to isolate the LGBT community and it doesn't surprise me that many LGBT people who were raised with religion later choose to reject it.

#6 Libertino, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an atheist.

I think that, in my opinion, the LGBT community has many atheists because people get tired of the opression we face because of religion (of course, not all religious people are bigots, and peraphs not even the majority, but we have a considerable number of vocal people who are constantly trying to attack the LGBT community).

Of course, everyone is free to believe (or not) in anything they want. The important thing to remember is: Respect always comes first.

Both my ex-boyfriend and my ex-girlfriend believed in spiritual forces (they were wiccas). To me, it doesn't makes any sense (with all due respect). We had some friendly conversations about it, but always in a light mood (like me asking about rituals or practices like that, out of curiosity).

But, in both cases, we had an agreement: While we can exchange ideas and eventually talk about this subject, we agreed that trying to convince the other that they were wrong would not be a good idea, and thus, it was "forbidden" in the relationship.

He/She wouldn't try to convince me of their beliefs (which included to not send me texts about the religion unless it was something occasional and without the intention of convincing, and things like that), and i wouldn't try to convince him/her that their beliefs didn't make sense (which included respecting the occasional prayer/ritual).

Now, of course, it is good to have someone that agrees with you. However, we are different, and that's great too. You will never find someone that agrees with you about everything, because you are unique.

Of course, you have all the right to not date an atheist. If you aren't confortable with it, that's ok. However, i think it is perfectly possible to balance things and find a way to make things work for both of you, while maintaining religion/lack of religion a personal thing for each of you.

And, no, i am strongly against pretending to be an atheist. A relationship is based on mutual trust, and hiding things from your partner, even small things, aren't a good idea.

8. Aqulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bisexual, and also agnostic. Text book definition: "a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God."

So basically I know nothing, therefore there could be a god - or not. At the moment I don't really care. I'm totally fine with dating someone religious/spiritual though as long as they respect my beliefs.

9. YinYang

Hello. Possible Pagan here. I think the amount of atheism in the queer community comes from religion being an attack towards queers, which puts a lot of people off about those religions. But that doesn't mean everyone who's queer is an atheist. And, to be honest, it's not that hard to date an atheist as long as both of you respect each other's beliefs and rituals (or lack thereof).

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of the LGBTQ community is theistic to some extent. I'm leaning towards being a Naturalistic Pagan, and I feel that, as others said, the amount of atheists, agnostics, and skeptics is because of religious persecution--but I won't speak for everyone. I know part of the reason why I left Christianity is because of that.

11. Sean12

I am an athiest and have no problem with religious people. It is completely seperate from my sexuality. I was an athiest before I realized that I was gay. Unfortunately I get really uncomfortable if I'm in a church and everyone else is praying. I just feel disconnected and alone. But I would definitely be fine dating someone who is religious.

12. guitar

I was an atheist before I knew of my sexuality.

With that said, there are a lot of religious gay people... LGBT people are probably more likely on average to be non-religious, but there are still a lot of religious LGBT people.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Religion is a singularly common front and weapon that society has used to oppress LGBTQ+ people throughout history. Naturally, a relative distance will emerge between the two.

That said, why not date an atheist? I mean it's your choice, it just sounds a bit unfair to me? There are atheists who wouldn't date religious people because they think they're "stupid" or whatever. Isn't that unfair? And aren't you kind of doing the same thing in reverse here?
    Also, I don't really like the way you say "full of atheists", like 'atheist' is a derogatory word. I'm not technically speaking an atheist myself, but almost everyone I know are, and they're good people.

14. Vav

Vav Guest

It's not atheism itself that's an issue for me. It's the type of personality that's attracted to atheism that's an issue for me.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  16. AKTodd

I was an atheist long before I figured out I was gay.

But, more importantly - what 'type of personality' are you referring to, pray tell?

Todd

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    "Atheists are a certain type of people" which is "X=Y" which is prejudice.

#17 Invidia, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  18. Mordaking

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm Atheist, and have been for a few years now. Does me being gay having something to do with it, Yes. Is it the reason I'm Atheist, No.

Like a lot of people have said, The fact that most (not all) Christians share the idea that being gay is wrong, is a major reason some gay people are atheist. Now for the LGBT community being "full" of atheists, I would have to conduct a broad scale poll to know for sure (NOTE TO SELF: Do a broad scale poll among the LGBT community), but from me just using logic I'd have to say atheists make up at least a big portion.

And no, I'm not say all gay people are Atheist, I'm just saying that my guess is it make up a big portion.

And I wouldn't lie to about your beliefs. Just be you :slight_smile:

19. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am the same way. I was raised Catholic but now I consider myself to be more spiritual, just because my ideologies don't align with the church. And not just because I'm gay.

Atheism scares me a bit because I can't understand what it would be like not to believe in a higher power. I'm not condemning it; everyone has a right to their own beliefs. But yeah, like you, I think it could be difficult to date an atheist. I think as long as we respected each other's beliefs, it would be fine.

I completely understand how some people might shy away from religion because they are often persecuted for being gay, but at the same time, my personal belief is that religion is man-made and God is God. I know that God loves me, and nothing the church can say will change that.

But I think for many atheists, their belief comes from more than just being gay. There are usually several reasons.

20. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think atheists amongst the LGBT community might seem a bit normal for me. It's not that uncommon to see that they have some sort of animosity towards any kind of religion because of their experiences coming out and, constantly being told that a part of who you are is unnatural and wrong. I think it can create quite a few scars that can't be healed. It's not always the case but it could be for that very reason. For some other people, they just don't believe in religions at all.
    Should people, especially LGBT people, judge you for that? No. And if they do, they're just simply being narrow minded assholes. You shouldn't have to feel restricted to who you're dating, regardless of what religion you both practice. If you're not comfortable with dating people who are atheist, it's cool, you're entitled to that. You want to find someone who's just as spiritual? you're also entitled to that. That's your right. Not sure about the characters or personality types that atheist gather, but i'm pretty sure you can't let one person fuck it up for the rest.