1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats up with rap music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Capricorn98, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have never really like rap. I think what I hate about it is the derogatory lyrics. I also only listen to music that makes me feel something. I listen to pretty much every genre except for rap and metal. And I listen to different kinds of music depending on my mood/what I'm doing.

Within the past few months I've gotten into a few rap songs though, surprisingly haha. I think it would probably be considered "soft" rap though. It's pretty tame as far as rap goes. I like quite a few songs by Classified. He's just a really good guy and you can tell in his songs that he is a good person. To me, his songs have a little more substance.

I also have started getting into The Weeknd. Not even sure if you could consider that rap? But yeah I like some of his songs. I recently heard him do the song "Acquainted" live, and it was pretty fricking awesome.

But yeah I mean everyone's musics tastes are different and it's totally okay to like what you like and hate what you hate. The only thing I can't stand is when people make other people feel bad about the kind of music they listen to. Just because something doesn't speak to you doesn't mean someone else can't enjoy it and connect with it!

#21 Aerin, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. plant

Rap is one of my favorite genres of music. I'm well aware that most mainstream rap is absolute garbage, but that hasn't stopped me from listening to it. It gets me hyped up sometimes, and occasionally there are a couple lines that stand out.

3. CluelessOne

Rap, like all music is expressive. Some songs are going to deal with complex issues (Your Macklemores) and there are going to be songs that deal with less complicated situations, however, in this area there are many different approaches. This mainstream rap (What I refer to as new gangsta) is the equivalent of an Adam Sandler movie. People like them so they get made, they're just not everyone's cup of tea and some people will look past that into more nuanced works.

Personally I like artists such as Seth Sentry and Watsky for their wordplay and flow.

I actually hated rap up until about a year and a half ago and it was only when I challenged my worldview that I discovered a whole world that I now love.

4. Ryujin

> when the forum hasn't heard of crazy folk rap about creating a new anarchist paradise

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me expand. Artists such as Drake, Fetty Wap, etc put out as you might call "ignorant club music".

People act stupid. People want money and flashy things. They want to be called things inappropriate for public to a beat. People in the club are oftentimes 1 jagerbomb away from banging in the bathroom, or at least thinking about it.

If people want to hear this music (which record sales certainly indicate they do) then so be it.

If you want artsy story telling then go listen to your J coles and Kendrick Lamar.

You want to hear music from "the average white guy"? He is what he calls an "ironic rapper" but quite literally raps about talking with his girlfriend having issues in the office to selecting a shirt to wear to the club and the inability for a group of bros choosing what bar to go to. Lil dicky raps for 20 to 30 something white males if you want a demographic.

Oh yes, his flow and lyricism will stack up to anyone you compare him to.

---------- Post added 10th Apr 2016 at 10:35 AM ----------

Although I prefer the mainstream type people so much hate here, sometimes the wordplay does strike gold, despite the digging sometimes for those more inclined.

6. Careboobear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rap has a different meaning for every person. Personally I feel more connected to the rap because it's my culture. There are many cultural differences and we could either appreciate it or don't. Some good examples of Rap is Bryson Tiller and Meek Mills (well in the beginning of his career). Some artists speak the truth about their past. That's why people listen to music anyway, you're able to understand that person and be able to connect.

7. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    I like Hopsin because he sometimes says really good points (like in hopsin ill mind series) but yea rap is getting a bit crap these days.

8. Dot Com

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's some really great stuff out there! Unfortunately, and I find it's not only the rap genre, a lot of music gets a bad name because of what's mainstream.

If you're looking for rappers who don't follow the generic pattern of empty lyrics and kind of annoying beats, I can try to help! I admit, I do like some of the popular stuff, but that stuff is only just the surface of a genre that actually has a lot of great stuff to offer :slight_smile:

Here's an example of a rap song I love that actually has a relaxing beat and meaningful lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljyittrF0Y

#28 Dot Com, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  9. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Rock and metal can be derogatory too just depends on the artist. I tend to like pretty much every genre I stumble into. How simple or complex you want your content entirely depends on your will to search it out. The radio doesn't account for the voice of every artist in a particular genre.

Also, music is subjective like what you like. Don't like rap no problem I only have a problem when people assume all of it is just shallow crap when that's not the case. Many introspective songs you just have to find them. Nothing wrong with liking dumb songs either just shake your booty and have a good time.

10. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't say I'm a fan of today's idea of Rap Music and Hip-Hop because it's not what it used to be. The majority of the rappers sound too much alike. They use the same beats, same tempo, same flow, etc. Back when I was coming up, you couldn't list as many similarities in Jay-Z, Biggie, Tupac, Snoop Dogg, DMX, etc. music as you can with the present day rapper's. I kind of post blame for this on Hip-Hop going Mainstream; songs became a lot more lazier as did those who wrote/produced them. This genre used to be an alternative to Mainstream Music, it was designed and composed by and for those who grew up in an urban neighborhood or on the streets. It's about their struggle to survive as a low-class - often times black - person in a society where opportunities are limited and you have a better chance at getting killed or imprisoned than getting rich. That's why I loved Hip-Hop as a kid; there were some songs I could connect with, others I could just dance to(Ex. "Hot in Herre" by Nelly), some weren't remotely as serious and all in good fun(Ex. "Momma Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J), and those that I just loved to hear as it was actually good story telling with a powerful message(Ex. "Dear Mama" by Tupac).

I don't blame those who say the genre is dead, because it has lost what made it unique - not counting those of the underground rap scene. But at the same time you can't deny there is still talent out there like J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar; they're just in smaller quantity nowadays. But that's to be expected when they put money before music quality.

#30 KnucklesNation, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  11. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i hate all those songs where the artist just wants to sound cool, eventhough it just makes him/her sound sad.

stuff where they sing/rap about stuff like:
    -how many "bitches/whores" they fucked
    -smoking weed and acting like its the most badass thing you could ever do
    -about how they murdered someone
    -that theyre part of a gang or something

stuff like that, that makes me cringe