1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post coming out depression

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MS001, Apr 4, 2016.

1. MS001

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel so depressed. I know it was triggered by coming out. Which is not to say there was anything negative about coming out, but all the stress and emotional upheaval and shit was the trigger to me feeling depressed. It sucks. I am in pain. I just want to feel better.

I have been all the things you are supposed to do to feel better: no alcohol, exercise, social activities, maintain a normal routine, get professional help. I still feel like shit and it sucks. Also, while I have been very active in going to LGBT events and stuff, I only have gay acquaintances so far and not any friends yet that I would feel comfortable discussing this with. :frowning2:

2. wanderinggirl

Sorry you're going through a rough patch. It's normal to experience depression after such a big life change (for anyone who thinks it's NBD these days... no it's still a big deal). The hardest part is it's a journey you have to go through on your own. Even if others are already gay or have questioned or accept you no matter what, you still have to ask the questions and have the experiences all on your own. It can get lonely.

The good news is that if that's what's going on, it's temporary. It'll pass as things feel more settled. You're doing all the right things. It might take a while to find gay friends who are more than acquaintances, so just be patient. Good feelings will come. :slight_smile:

#2 wanderinggirl, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. HereWeGo

Hey MS001,

I totally understand how you feel. It's good to hear you're doing "all the things you're supposed to do". At least you have some insight in that. On top of what you're doing, I've started meditating. I find that helps clear my head. Do you have any experience with that? There's a great app called Head Space that guides you through 10 free sessions. Both my wife and I have become addicted to it. It really helps with mood swings and being present. I was very skeptical at first, but it's kind of amazing to train your brain toward a new way of thinking.

I wish you the best.

4. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sorry to hear you feel low, have you been to your doctor, it doesnt mean you have to have medication if you dont want it.

Like HereWeGo i practice Mindfulness, it helps me. It takes practice tbough.
    There are so many different highs and lows in what we are dealing with. Hope you are eating well too. I find i skip meals if im low.

Be kind to you.

5. MS001

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in no way in any shape to be dating. However, since I wrote this post I was at an event where I met some cute out lesbians, which is awesome, but one of them made my heart skip a beat and I was praying not to blush when I spoke to her. And this was fun and exciting and is exactly the reason I came out in the first place. So even though I am stil sad I feel much, much, much better.

6. Really

You are like some sort of superhero to me. Haha. One who isn't quite used to her super powers yet but takes every opportunity to practice them. And is maybe better at them than she realizes.

7. MS001

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Omg this made my day! Thank you so much!