1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parades, I do not understand them...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justyen, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Normally, i disagree with the use of sexy elements in parades, but AKTodd got me thinking about it. Nice points! :slight_smile:

2. AKTodd

Hm. Thinking about the logic being expressed here...

If going to a once a year event that is focused on my sexuality causes me to be defined by my sexuality, does that therefore mean that:

A) someone who goes to church once a week is only defined by their religious belief?

B) someone who has season tickets to some sporting event or the theater or symphony is only defined by their taste in entertainment?

C) someone who has a favorite TV show that they watch weekly is only defined by their liking that show?

Etc.

For that matter, given that (statistically speaking) most straight couples have sex more than once a week, per the logic expressed here, they are already defined by their sexuality. Aren't they? Or does this definition by single activity only apply to LGBT people?

On a final note...if going to Pride, (a once a year event) means letting your sexuality define you, what does visiting an LGBT support website over 4000 times in just a few years, (as your profile indicates you have done with EC) have to say on the matter?

Thoughtfully,

Todd

3. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

Well I think it depends on the parade. I think it's a prelevent stereotype that all LGBT parades are very flamboyant and sexual which usually isn't the case.

But TBH I really don't understand what the big deal is. Yes, I am not flamboyant about my sexuality, but I don't care if others are. If they want their sexuality to define their behavior, so fucking what?? They have a right to do that and I can see why some do. If they have been repressed for so long and unable to be themselves and now they are allowed to be themselves I can see why they'd go crazy. If you're uncomfortable with it, that is fine.

PS: I am not aiming this at you personally OP. I'm just venting here.

#23 sunshine360, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  4. ThreeBears3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't understand parades in general let alone when they're so specific but I do get the whole hey look we are a community and we are normal thing... But I don't think they should be like marti gras... Definitely should be family friendly to send a better message. I don't like big public things so parades aren't my thing anyway.