1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when people say something is 'gay'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MayaBee, Mar 31, 2016.

1. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I use "lame" to describe my crippled boyfriend sometimes. We are all sinful.

2. LoveMeLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This bothers me as well. My family is bad about this. Im just like ummmmm your family member is gay. Actually a few of them are. Why say this when you know it could be offensive? To me its just like calling someone a "retard." Its just ridiculous and shouldnt be said.

3. ok455

Then i reply back yeah that's totally straight or toaster something stupid. I did in the past got friends to stop saying it all together. I had a few friends that kept saying it and i told them it was offensive and they stopped.

4. PrettyinPunk

Do people really still say that much anymore? I remember back when it was more 'popular' to say but I rarely hear it now.

Anyway when I was much younger I was guilty of saying this but when I realized how it might effect others I stopped, got some of my friends to stop too. I do recall a coworker I worked with once said it about some inanimate object, I just scoffed and told her not to assume...it could be bisexual!

5. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't bother me. I just think that they need to learn new adjectives in life to describe something that abhors them. Rather, I feel sorry for them.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It just annoys me how often it's used. I hear it used so much to describe things, it's just plain unoriginal and overused as an insult / way of complaining. "This work is so gay" "this video is gay" "could you think of anything gayer?" "these balloons are gay" "those people blowing bubbles are gay".

I almost feel like throwing a Dictionary at some of these people. The people around me use it way too much for me to let myself be bothered by it. I'm not saying they have to go out their way to use big words or anything, but some variety wouldn't hurt you know?

:dry:

#26 Canterpiece, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  7. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if it's used in a derogatory or negative sense, then that's perfectly reasonable, but if it's referring to something representative of the community, i.e. your standard rainbow pride flag, I totally get that, because it's kind of a symbol of homosexuality

idk what i'm saying

8. guitar

I usually reply "why yes, that is rather homosexual."

9. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't personally bother me at all. I understand that most people aren't relating it to actually being gay in any way (or using it as an insult to anyone who is). I know it was a "popular" thing to say in middle school and I think people just took to saying it out of habit or hearing others say it all the time.

10. Plattyrex

Idk, I try not to take it to heart. It's just something people say, it's not like it means they hate gay people or anything. I also notice that not too many people really say this anymore.

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless it's directed at me, it's very inaccurate adjective to use. Like "That's so Magnetic" or "That's so Orbital" it doesn't necessarily make sense.

If I went around saying "That's so straight" and not talking about how well a line was drawn, it would be totally inaccurate as well.

12. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's almost become an unconscious response by some people and not too much thought was put into it... (not saying that these people have too many synapses firing but...) when I can I try to point out that it's rude and just isn't right. And of course someone will inevitably ask... "why, are you gay?" and now I can say YES I AM! and it usually shuts them up... but I'm rambling now

13. EnchanterForest

Yeah I am against this in away, cause that is just sad. But if it isn't meant to discriminate someone really I will probably laugh along with it. Since Gay does really mean Happy

#33 EnchanterForest, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost everyone at school says it, but some even say it when talking about people they don't like. For instance, my "friend" at school talks about our dean who is gay by calling him "fucking gay" all the time. I've heard people saying "fucking gay fag" about people as well.
    Using it as a casual joke bothers me, but this is just plain straight homophobia...

15. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not at all, in fact I use it quite a few times as an openly gay man. People forget that 'gay' used to mean something else entirely many years ago, and that the use of the term in a negative way has actually no direct connotations with the gay community most of the time. When it does, especially on the Internet, it's used by trolling teenagers who want to get a reaction and have a giggle over the outburst.

I've never experienced homophobia in my life directly, and the school I went to was openly homophobic (including the teachers) and I live in a homophobic neighbourhood as an openly gay man now. It worked because I toughened up enough to make people who like to get under other people's skin realize that such words have no power over me. (Perhaps being nearly a foot taller than most average-sized guys could have helped, but I doubt it was determining.)

And anyway, I'm 100% pro free speech so that only helped my own particular case. Insisting that people can't use certain words such as 'gay' etc to describe a negative experience/ object only creates divisions and resentment. For those who said that their friends were ''totally cool'' the fact is that nearly all the time they aren't. Your friends aren't actually cool with censorship, nor with social justice warriors, they're just more careful around you and will in a lot of cases start to distance themselves gradually and slowly. Saying that ''they're cool'', especially those exact words, are just a subtle mode of surrender to avoid further conflict.

16. LRyuzaki3

When people say this it really makes me want to slap them