1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Years Ago I Shunned All Of My Friends And Ran Away - Now I'm Having Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Robert, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I'm 25 years old in April. I live with my boyfriend in a place which is far away from my home town where all of my old friends live.

Before I left my home town to go and live with my boyfriend I came out to my best friend of 7 years... it did not go well. He pretended to be OK with it and then changed his mind basically the next day and he hasnt spoken a word to me since I came out to him all those years ago.
    His reaction put me off coming out to all my other friends... I was moving away anyway. I didnt want the fuss. So, when the time came, I told all of my friends that I was moving away to live with my step-brother and, once I moved, I cut all contact with every one of my friends and they never found out I was gay.
    But now, 4 years on, I'm having second thoughts. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why Im having second thoughts. Its not as if I will be able to have a meaningful friendship with any of these people who live so far away - people who I havent spoken to in 4 years. But, I dont know, I guess I need some sort of closure. I guess I need to know if they ever liked the real me.

So, OK, Im basically writing this thread to ask if this is a good idea. Is it a good idea (I'm planning on just adding them all on Facebook and see what happens)? Or is it just me being curious and dumb? Has anyone else been in a similair situation?

#1 Robert, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. tmhjdg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: 4 Years Ago I Shunned All Of My Friends And Ran Away - Now I'm Having Second Thou

If you're active on facebook, I would just add them, like you said. Talking to them or messaging them directly after four years would be more awkward, in my opinion. That way they can peruse your profile if they so choose and see "the real you." Whether or not any discussion comes of that is up to chance, but at least you won't feel like you were hiding it from them.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: 4 Years Ago I Shunned All Of My Friends And Ran Away - Now I'm Having Second Thou

I just dont know if its even worth the hassle. I dont really get why its bothering me.

4. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

As someone who struggles with talking to others about myself, I can honestly say you may feel better if you tell them/ or add them and they figure it out. I mean, I can't say for certain about you as an individual, but personally I always feel better when I tell people my feelings etc.

I mean, I felt really good when I came out to my friends, like a burden was lifted off my shoulders. I felt I could finally relax and be myself. I wasn't planning on telling my high school friends, who I hadn't talked to or seen in two years, but it all went smoothly.

5. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I get your point about it being awkward to do it face to face and initially I thought "so that's what Facebook is useful for" :icon_wink but the more I think about it I don't see how it would resolve your problem. Adding them all on Facebook will allow them to work it out (the easiest way would be to put a picture saying ' I'M GAY!' in a folder called 'holiday photos' - the first place we all look on old friends profiles) but it won't necessarily help you to know if they accept you for it.
    For example, it's unlikely that any of them would actually go to the effort of telling you they are against your sexuality. Maybe some of them would say something like "you look so happy in this picture with your boyfriend" or something to that effect to let you know they are OK with it but from experience I'd say most of them will just do a bit of profile stalking and say nothing at all either way.
    It may be worth trying to work out why you're having these concerns first. Otherwise you may not be ready to accept the answer, whatever it may be. Do you have many friends now? If so are they mostly LGBT? Are there other decisions in your past that you are also questioning?

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It depends what you are hoping for from this Robert. You mentioned seeking closure, but will it really bring closure to just add them on Facebook? They may accept your request, but do you want/need them to accept you? Do you want, or need some sort of response from them to gain closure? Lots of questions, I know and I hope they don't come across as challenging, but I just wondered what closure would mean, to you.

It could be a hassle if you get a load of negativity back and people may ask why you just ran away, so you would need to prepare yourself for that.

Putting all of my questions and comments aside though, I can understand why you might wish to do it because I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to leave a load of 'loose ends' myself.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've been in a similar situation, in that I broke off all friendships nearly 4 years ago as well. For you, I guess the question is why do you want to get back in contact with them? Four years is a long time, and to be honest most of them have probably moved on by now. But if you think it could be mutually beneficial or valuable to you to pursue them again, by all means. Just know why you're doing it. Don't hop back into that arena hoping for some grand new enlightenment. Closure may come in the form of letting go of those past relationships and looking forward. But what am I saying? Do what suits you best.